Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 15, 12, 2:13 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
A380-800 Seating Question

I recently booked travel which includes JFK-CDG-JFK in Y on Air France's A380-800 and haven't seen much discussion on seat selection. I've never been on this aircraft but heard a lot of good things.

Delta.com shows me all the lower deck in economy with rows 10-26 being shown as preferred while airfrance.us shows these seats being blocked (I have no status on FB). Both sites show the upper deck available seating being rows 88-94. According to seatguru (and seatexpert), the upper deck seating is 81-94, behind Affaires.

I have a few questions that can hopefully be answered here:

Are rows 81-87 only available to passengers with status on FB? If so then is the only reason airfrance.us showing me the front of the plane because I have an assigned seat there from delta.com? I initially selected 11A for both flights.

I have read that the upper deck feels less cramped (8 across rather than 10)and is quieter - is that true even towards the back of the plane (say row 88 or 93)? Are there other reasons to be upstairs?

After JFK-CDG I'll have a connection with a 1:40 layover. Do I need to be as close to the front as possible or will I have enough time to deplane from the upper deck?

Thanks!
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 2:19 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: JFK/LGA
Posts: 1,044
In the new configuration Premium Economy is behind Affaires
nystateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 2:28 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Anywhere I can hide from Delta's "enhancements"
Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 10,856
Are you sure you're looking at the right A380 config on SeatGuru? There are two. Economy starts at row 88 on the upper deck in the new config.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...us_A380_V2.php
javabytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 2:39 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
Thanks for the replies. I entered my flight info and the site gave me the version with no premium economy. According to airfrance.us, my connection is in the same terminal (2E) but am still a little hesitant sitting in the back.
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 3:08 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley (Fly ROA/CHO/IAD)
Programs: DL FO; TK *G; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Posts: 7,862
Worth noting that this is yet anther example of SeatGuru being horribly behind the times. All AF's A380s now have PV.
mtkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 3:16 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 26
In my experience on the AF A380 coming into IAD the upper jet bridge was the first to connect, giving premium passengers a chance to beat the lower-deck economy through customs. Seems this benefit would extend to upper deck economy passengers. I was upgraded to premium economy so I wasn't too many rows in front of the upper-deck economy (which I had originally purchased/selected), and was in a fine position.
westand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 3:18 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
Just to add more confusion, delta.com allows 10A and 10L to be selected but you can't save it. SeatGuru/SeatExpert both correctly show that there is no 10A and 10L.
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 3:20 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by westand View Post
In my experience on the AF A380 coming into IAD the upper jet bridge was the first to connect, giving premium passengers a chance to beat the lower-deck economy through customs. Seems this benefit would extend to upper deck economy passengers. I was upgraded to premium economy so I wasn't too many rows in front of the upper-deck economy (which I had originally purchased/selected), and was in a fine position.
Isn't La Premiere on the lower deck and wouldn't they deplane first?

Also, how did you get upgraded to premium economy? Was it through FB status, miles, cash, ... other?

Thanks for the info.
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 4:21 pm   #9
KLC
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: TPA DL GM/ 2.8 MM
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjnyc View Post
... Also, how did you get upgraded to premium economy? Was it through FB status, miles, cash, ... other? ...
We were opup'd to Premium Economy from CDG-IAD on the 380 last month. The flight was oversold in economy. From some of the discussion with pax near us, it seems to happen fairly often.
KLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 12, 5:07 pm   #10
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: DL
Posts: 21,855
Please continue to follow this thread in the AF Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
obscure2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:33 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Programs: DM/2MM
Posts: 2,203
A few notes:

Ignore any AF seatmap you see on Dl.com, as well as any seat assignments in your DL reservation. The only thing that you can assume is accurate are the seat assignments on AF.com.

Dl.com sometimes allows you to choose seats in cabins in which you don't have a ticket, e.g. I've had a C ticket and it let me choose a F seat. I assure you that even if those somehow carry over to AF.com, at one point they will remove that seat assignment and assign you another available seat in the class you booked.

I haven't flown in Voyageur in awhile, but last time I did I greatly prefer the upper deck. Quieter, and they have those storage bins on the side at the window seats.

1:40 min should be enough time to connect, especially if you are connecting all within 2E and your flight arrives on time. If you have access, use the Acess N 1 lines...they can save you a lot of time.
TrojanTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 12, 12:50 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
We were opup'd to Premium Economy from CDG-IAD on the 380 last month. The flight was oversold in economy. From some of the discussion with pax near us, it seems to happen fairly often.
While it will be a nice surprise, I'll have to assume my chances of getting such an upgrade are remote at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
A few notes:

Ignore any AF seatmap you see on Dl.com, as well as any seat assignments in your DL reservation. The only thing that you can assume is accurate are the seat assignments on AF.com.

Dl.com sometimes allows you to choose seats in cabins in which you don't have a ticket, e.g. I've had a C ticket and it let me choose a F seat. I assure you that even if those somehow carry over to AF.com, at one point they will remove that seat assignment and assign you another available seat in the class you booked.

I haven't flown in Voyageur in awhile, but last time I did I greatly prefer the upper deck. Quieter, and they have those storage bins on the side at the window seats.

1:40 min should be enough time to connect, especially if you are connecting all within 2E and your flight arrives on time. If you have access, use the Acess N 1 lines...they can save you a lot of time.
Thanks for the advice. I've flown to CDG before but this will be my first time connecting.

Unfortunately no window seats are available upstairs but I took an aisle in the exit row. I'd have been upset if I got stuck in a middle seat because AF didn't acknowledge the Y seats I booked on delta.com. That'd be quite the fiasco since delta opens up about 200 seats that would otherwise be blocked by Air France.
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 12, 1:00 pm   #13
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Black
Posts: 37
Connecting through CDG can be a nightmare, and I've experienced nightmares there before (2hours wasn't even enough connection time bc of customs, immigration, baggage claim, transferring planes, etc).

As for your Y seating question, you can use your DL confirmation# on Airfrance.us to look up your seat assignments. I recently booked a DL-coded flight (DL8550) on the A380, and my seat assignment that I selected on Delta.com wasn't there when I checked on airfrance.us. Don't assume anything
usrleetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 12, 1:22 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: JFK/LGA/EWR
Posts: 1,045
My original seat assignment (11A) showed up on air France but those seats are blocked otherwise. I'd think they would honor it but better safe than sorry I guess. I'd have liked a window seat flying into Paris but there will be a next time.

To be honest, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I had to spend a day in Paris because of a misconnect on the outbound . The return is a different story, but there is a later flight back to JFK that day. Either way, I hope I don't have to test air France's handling of misconnects.
sbjnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 12, 1:39 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA G, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton G, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Posts: 10,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by usrleetch3 View Post
Connecting through CDG can be a nightmare, and I've experienced nightmares there before (2hours wasn't even enough connection time bc of customs, immigration, baggage claim, transferring planes, etc).

As for your Y seating question, you can use your DL confirmation# on Airfrance.us to look up your seat assignments. I recently booked a DL-coded flight (DL8550) on the A380, and my seat assignment that I selected on Delta.com wasn't there when I checked on airfrance.us. Don't assume anything
The OP isn't specific about the nature of the connection but it is most unlikely he would need to claim baggage and customs. this would only happen if you fly an airline which does not have an interline agreement with AF such as a low cost airline (e.g. easyjet etc). Otherwise, connections will only involve security (much faster if you have a skyteam elite plus card or are flying business or first which would enable you to use 'acces no1' priority lanes) and immigration only if you are connecting to a flight to a Schengen area destination (most of the EU except the UK, Ireland, and for the moment Bulgaria and Romania. The area also includes Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, and Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Andorra, and the Vatican - but those five are only relevant if you are flying in a private jet or a helicopter depending on the case ). Again, if this is the case, you get access to acces no 1 prioirty lanes if you are skyteam elite plus or travelling 'upfront'. If you are flying to a non-Schengen destination, you do not need to clear immigration.

@usrleetch3, may I ask when you experienced the very long connections you are talking about? Things have very significantly improved at CDG over the past few years and I can't think of any instance (regardless of departure/arrival terminals) when it would take more than an hour (going slowly and without priority access) to go from arrivals to departures. Of course I would personally recommend planning much more time if you are on two separate tickets in case the first flight is late, which can always happen. Also, if your flights are after the Autumn, things should be even easier as AF will have refocused its activities in only 3 terminals: 2E (all non-Schengen), 2F (all Schengen except regional aircraft flights), 2G (all Schengen regional aircraft flights), which should significantly speed up transfers.

I fully agree with your second point. OP should look up his/her booking on the airfrance website. It happens A LOT for people to allocate a seat on Delta which does not transfer on the AF system and vice-versa (there are exceptions but you can only know by checking on the operating airline's website). The fact that you were able to pre-allocate an exit row would make me particularly cautious. So my advice would be check asap. If it worked, great, if it did not, you can allocate a valid seat on the air france website and avoid the risk of finding yourself on the day of the flight with a middle seat on the back of the upper deck!!

To OP, re-your question about P passengers - they will deboard completely separately as they are personally picked up from the aircraft by the La Premiere transit crew. Only after this is complete will the rest of the lower deck start deboarding.
orbitmic is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 pm.