Search

Upgrade from economy to first class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold

Dear all,
A very stupid question, how big the likelihood to get upgraded from Economy class to first Class on Air France?

Sincerely,

SB
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:36 am

Pretty much zilch unless you're planning to upgrade with a lot of cash or miles.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
It is impossible as Y to F now a days is a triple upgrade Y->PV->J->F.

I had the chance very long time ago to travel in F with a very cheap Y ticket but it was a mix of upgrade and luck.
I was first upgraded from Y to J (no PV at that time) due to an overbooked flight . When I sat in my biz seat a guy came to me and asked me if I would mind changing with his seat as he was travelling with the guy next to me (his boss). This guy was upgraded to F so I ended up in F with a very cheap Y ticket. The guy wasn't really happy to go back to J but apparently they had lots of things to discuss during the trip. Very pleasant surprise at the end but probably as frequent as winning the lottery.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Simple answer : zero zero zero.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Simple answer : zero zero zero.
^
Old May 9, 2012, 11:10 pm

What abt Y to PV? What are the chances? I don't mind paying as long as its reasonable. I am flying from Houston to CDG.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
You might be offered an upgrade by e-mail before your flight or when checking in.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:11 am

Is Premium Voyageur even worth the extra expense ?
Old May 10, 2012, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CaptainFabuloso
Is Premium Voyageur even worth the extra expense ?
This depends on how much it costs. AF's PV is a separate cabin/class of service, not just seats with a little more legroom. Nonelites might experience some additional ground handling benefits which SkyTeam ElitePlus passengers would get even when flying coach.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Pigs....Wings.....you do the math!
Old May 10, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
If you want F, buy it. Don't think there is such thing as Y->F.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
If you want F, buy it. Don't think there is such thing as Y->F.
True, not anymore. But back in the early 70's, when there was no J or PV, I was flying a 707(remember them?) from ORY-JFK and was able to score that upgrade. Due to overbooking, I was the lucky recipient of an F seat on the next flight to JFK - a 747! The upstairs lounge, with the piano bar, was great. They literally had to "pour" me off the plane at JFK. But what an experience!
Old May 16, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum. Finnair Silver, LH Senator, Hyatt Platinum, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold
About a week ago i had a ticket in PV that i, by using miles upgraded to C, then when i came to the gate the machine beeped and said seat change and i was upgraded to F. Quite nice! But just from eco to first is probably impossible.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
I am sure if you asked they would give it to you......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.