Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 28, 12, 4:30 pm   #1

Cancellation fee

Affaires ticket US-CDG-Europe r/t. One ticket is AF only one is AF/KL. Suddenly fares dropped $1500-$1800 each. What does AF charge if I cancel and rebook? Just wondering because airfrance.us is saying no modifications although Affaires

AF only is J within Europe, D/Z from/to USA
AF/KL is J within Europe, I elsewhere

I see something about a 300 euro reissue fee but do not see anything else relevant one way or the other

Last edited by nystateofmind; Mar 28, 12 at 7:10 pm.
nystateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 12, 6:43 pm   #2
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA Premier 1K, SPG/SVO Platinum, HGV/Hilton Gold, FB Gold, HSBC Premier
To obtain our opinons, pls help provide Fare Class information (Z, C, D, J..etc), and not just calling it a Business Class ticket. Your e-ticket (Voyage Memo that you get by email after purchasing the ticekt) should also indicate cancellation policy.
kiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:28 pm   #3

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold, SAS Gold
Apparently your ticket is a complex one with a mix of different fare buckets.
Even just stating D or Z is not enough because there are many D fares and many Z fares.
if your European fares are in J, it is likely that the biggest restrictions will be on the TATL D/Z fares. Usually, the most restrictive fare (Z in your case) will dictate the cancellation rules. But as said above, there are several Z fares (Z****).

In your case, you seem to want to cancel this ticket and buy a new one (cheaper). Then you should look at the cancellation clause. Is your ticket refundable and what is the fee? If you cannot find it, call AF as their agent can find the rules in your booking.
Note that there are non-refundable business class fares. And because your ticket refund possibility is dictated by the lowest fare bucket, it could well be that you cannot cancel the ticket.
brunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 3:29 am   #4

Programs: DL FO
I suppose you cannot just ask to change the booking class on the same flights. It would be considered as a cancellation.

But if you change one flight on both legs, they should reprice the itinerary and it would be considered as a modification.
Or I miss something!
GuillaumeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 12, 3:58 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD View Post
I suppose you cannot just ask to change the booking class on the same flights. It would be considered as a cancellation.

But if you change one flight on both legs, they should reprice the itinerary and it would be considered as a modification.
Or I miss something!
Changing the booking class on a segment would be a change rather than a cancellation. However, when a ticket is non-refundable, the fare rules will normally specify that the non-refundable amount remains non-refundable even if the new itinerary is cheaper (or even, for that matter, if you change the ticket to a notionally flexible booking class). So there is no point in trying to engineer a modification versus a cancellation just for the sake of it.
NickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 12, 5:28 am   #6

Programs: AF/KL Plat (ST E+), VA Plat, BA Silver (1W Saph), and for collecting some left-over miles: LH M&M
... Otherwise everybody did this and non-cancellation tickets wouldn't make any sense.
cityflyer369 is offline   Reply With Quote