Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Famous (or is it Infamous?) Upgrade Email

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Famous (or is it Infamous?) Upgrade Email

So, I'm flying from ATL to CDG in a week or so, and I just got the upgrade offer via email. I've done some reading around here and it sounds to me like it's picked fairly randomly. Here's some of what I've done before being "selected"...

I filled in all of my passport info online, asap.
I made sure to NOT have any pre-selected meal preferences.
I chose Business Class (Affaires) as my preferred class of seating, knowing that this was the highest option available on my flight.
I entered my AMEX Platinum information as my card on file.

Basically, I did everything I could to be as easy to work with and easy to choose as possible.

*Side-Note* - I'm wondering if anyone has asked to be upgraded via this email, and not gotten a follow-up phone call telling you some seats are available. 20 of the 34 seats are still available/open according to expertflyer.com, and I took about 8-9 hours from the time I received the email to actually submit my request.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:52 pm
ixs

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by NAtime
So, I'm flying from ATL to CDG in a week or so, and I just got the upgrade offer via email. I've done some reading around here and it sounds to me like it's picked fairly randomly. Here's some of what I've done before being "selected"...
Which offer specifically? Upgrade lottery or fixed price update?

Do you have any status? And can you please copy and paste the text of the letter?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

The offer email was in french. It offered an upgrade to Prem Voy for 150EUR, and Affaires for 350EUR. I'm flying on a 777-200...I'll likely go for the 350.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have a friend that received this for SFO-CDG for an upgrade from PV to J for 150 Euros. He was finally not "selected" but received a free op-up at check-in
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I chose Business Class (Affaires) as my preferred class of seating, knowing that this was the highest option available on my flight.

It offered an upgrade to Prem Voy for 150EUR, and Affaires for 350EUR. I'm flying on a 777-200...I'll likely go for the 350.
What, exactly, do you mean by "choosing Business Class (Affaires) as my preferred class of seating" if you were, in fact, buying an Economy ticket?

Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What, exactly, do you mean by "choosing Business Class (Affaires) as my preferred class of seating" if you were, in fact, buying an Economy ticket?

A bit confusing but when you log in its under my travel habbits, in your preferences along with preferred airports etc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, OK.

To the OP: I really doubt that your Air France website profile has anything to do with the "choice" of who gets an upgrade offer by email, and who doesn't.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

You're probably right, but since there is currently zero info on how it's done, I thought I'd at least try to contribute a few possibilities and be proactive, rather than cherry pick someone else's comments and then condemn them for it.

Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Could you precise your first paid booking class (L Q M...)?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by delanotre
Could you precise your first paid booking class (L Q M...)?
I booked Economy...just standard economy. I was row 25 at the time.

I received the phone call this morning around 9am Pacific time in California, and they took my credit card information over the phone. Now upgraded to Affaires with two seats in row 2...excellent.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
I booked Economy...just standard economy. I was row 25 at the time.(...).
There is no such thing as "standard economy". What Delanotre is asking is which tariff/booking class you paid for your economy seats.

If you look at your memo voyage, you will see a letter (Y, B, L, M etc) which tells how expensive you economy seats were.

Y is full fare economy, other letters mean discounted economy, the level of discounts and the rules that go with it vary.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
This new offer is basically the end of free upgrades for Platinums when the flight is known ahead of departure time to be full.

A good thing for AF (maximization of the revenues for asking to pay what was free before), bad thing for passengers
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nicolas75
bad thing for passengers
Surely you meant bad thing for Platinums?

It's a good thing for all other passengers, who may now receive an option that they previously would not have.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received the phone call this morning around 9am Pacific time in California, and they took my credit card information over the phone. Now upgraded to Affaires with two seats in row 2...excellent.
And when you asked them what criteria had been used to choose you to be called, what was the answer?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:50 am

I was FB Ivory and had shared no information about myself on their website and still got the offer. It is totally random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.