Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 5, 12, 11:29 am   #1
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody
Paid access to P services for J pax on long-haul flights without a P cabin ex CDG

From the Air France French travel agent portal

- effective March 12th, 2012
- cost: EUR 800 or 57,000 miles per passenger
- maximum: 10 passengers per day
- for passengers ticketed in the J cabin (all fares) on long-haul flights without a P cabin, departing from CDG or connecting through CDG
- no guest allowed
- includes all ground services available to passengers flying in the P cabin

- 7 days before their flight, eligible passengers receive an offer by e-mail to register (fill a form) and give a timeframe when they can be called by phone (not applicable to PNRs with more than 2 passengers or with a UM)
- priority is based on the fare class, within a fare class, on the time the customer has filled the form; payment is made on the phone by credit card or with AF/KL FFP miles
- if the requests have exceeded the quota (10 per day), the customer receives an e-mail saying so
- the service is cancellable and refundable; when the date of travel is changed, one must re-initiate the process

- travel agents can also book the service from 15 days before the flight up to 5:00 PM (Paris time) the day before the flight

Nice Air France offer for this 9,999th post!

Last edited by JOUY31; Mar 5, 12 at 12:20 pm.
JOUY31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 12, 12:19 pm   #2

So, If I understand, this allows you to experience all facets of the ground portion of P including entry to the La Premier lounge, if you are on a flight with no P class.

Do you believe it's worthwhile ?

Thanks for the information and congratulations on post 10,000 (possible as the answer to this!)
(edit: Nevermind, I'm late! I see you surpassed it on the RER post. Cheers!)
bucknjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 12, 12:33 pm   #3

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknjeff View Post
So, If I understand, this allows you to experience all facets of the ground portion of P including entry to the La Premier lounge, if you are on a flight with no P class.

Do you believe it's worthwhile ?

Thanks for the information and congratulations on post 10,000 (possible as the answer to this!)
(edit: Nevermind, I'm late! I see you surpassed it on the RER post. Cheers!)
I believe the price in miles is quite affordable and the offer is worthwhile. For the price in EUR, it is a bit overstated when compared with a meal at a great restaurant in Paris or elsewhere, IMHO. On the other hand, it does seem to be a fine experience, above what I enjoyed in CX's First Class lounges at HKG, except for the cabanas, or at the CCR with BA.
Old Mar 5, 12, 1:26 pm   #4
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Congrats JOUY31!

Are you going to buy a round of drinks in Paris?
Gajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 12, 1:28 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
Congrats JOUY31!

Are you going to buy a round of drinks in Paris?
Sometime around April 27th at the AF/ADP CDG Do
Old Mar 5, 12, 3:16 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA G, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton G, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
I join others in congratulating you on this nice milestone, especially when one looks at the quality of the posts and not just at their quantity! This being said, I also join you in saying that I personally wouldn't pay 800 for this. I would not care about it when I travel on my own, and when I travel with a person I would want to share this with, I would indeed rather invest the 1600 in a luxury mini break or in a few great meals. Even the Louis XV's of this world wouldn't nearly need take you to that sort of total bill.
orbitmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 12, 4:01 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I join others in congratulating you on this nice milestone, especially when one looks at the quality of the posts and not just at their quantity! This being said, I also join you in saying that I personally wouldn't pay 800 for this. I would not care about it when I travel on my own, and when I travel with a person I would want to share this with, I would indeed rather invest the 1600 in a luxury mini break or in a few great meals. Even the Louis XV's of this world wouldn't nearly need take you to that sort of total bill.
+1
bucknjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 12, 4:12 pm   #8

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Navigo 1-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I would indeed rather invest the 1600 in a luxury mini break or in a few great meals.
Jesus...I really do need to sleep as I read "females" instead of "meals" O_o

Anyway, I think this offer is a rather good idea to let J pax having a taste at P services. Cost in Miles seems OK, 800EUR seems a bit costly though.
Old Mar 5, 12, 5:02 pm   #9

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat
How much do FBEs pay for an upgrade to P? 100k miles? The 57k miles charge seems to me quite reasonable, but I would not fork out 800 euros for this. Though when you consider that P costs twice as much as J, then 800 euros makes sense.

The fact AF offers this only on long-haul routes without P is a reasonable restriction and may provide some hints as to whether there is a demand for P on some routes. Since the trend is to cut them, I see it rather as a way to extract revenue from whatever is left of premium passangers.
ajs123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 12, 12:18 am   #10

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Congratulations to our dear moderator for his 10,000th post
Old Mar 6, 12, 4:01 am   #11

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold, SAS Gold
Congratulations JOUY31.
The exchange rate 57,000 miles for €800, seems reasonable to me. It prices a classic J award to the US at some €1,500 (100,000 miles). Would I pay €800 (or 57,000 miles) for a one-time access to the P lounge and improved check-in? NEVER.
brunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 12, 5:10 am   #12

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat|InterContinental Plat RA|HHonnors VIP Gold|A Club Sofitel Plat|AMEX Plat|Visa Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Congratulations JOUY31.
10,000 thanks for your great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Congratulations JOUY31.
Would I pay 800 (or 57,000 miles) for a one-time access to the P lounge and improved check-in? NEVER.
Simply cannot see the interest of paying this service (not a big fan of limousine service at airport, P lounge is great but not worth the price of a night at Le Meurice or Mandarin Oriental!!)
nicolas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:34 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA G, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton G, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokshu View Post
Jesus...I really do need to sleep as I read "females" instead of "meals" O_o
Now you're really gonna get me in trouble!!!
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:45 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now here is my thinking bit by bit:

- I also agree it makes sense that AF only offers this on flights with no First Class but...

- Can we then say that AF is still offering to sell the 'ground' part of the Premiere ticket where it cannot offer the 'flight' part?

- If so, AF values that 'ground' part at €800 each way, i.e. €1600 on a return trip.

- By all accounts on this forum, the 'ground' part is supposed to be by far the better part of the P experience while the flight part is quasi-universally deemed disappointing

- Yet, all of us seem to agree we would not pay €800 for the 'ground upgrade' each way (or €1600 return) (some have said they would pay with miles, but my guess is it is not so much a question of 'exchange rate' as a question of 'available balance' - depending on travel patterns, many have more opportunities to accrue miles than to spend them, and ones your 'bank account' reaches a certain level, 57k can look like relatively little).

- The difference between a Z fare and a P fare on CDG-JFK is €8000. OK, people will tell me that Z has more restrictions so let us compare with the C fare. The difference between CDG-JFK in C and in P is €5000 with comparable flexibility.

- If €1600 is ascribed to ground services, then €3400 is ascribed to flight service differences only, i.e. €1700 each way. Or let us say €1500 each way to account for incidental benefits such as extra mileage etc.

- Would any of us accept to pay €1500 for an upgrade to a P seat (without the ground services) on CDG-JFK? I'd be ready to bet not.

- So even if offered a choice to pick 'only' the part of the P service (ground or flight) we care most about without any additional cost for debundling (as in you should normally pay more for 'part' over the 'bundle', i.e if A+B+C is sold for an extra €5000, commercially, the prices of A alone, B alone, and C alone sold separately should total significantly over €5000), none of us would accept to pay any such service.

Conclusion: as we keep repeating over and again, regardless of how you look at it, AF P is waaaaayyyyy overpriced...
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:46 am   #15

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold, SAS Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
Simply cannot see the interest of paying this service (not a big fan of limousine service at airport, P lounge is great but not worth the price of a night at Le Meurice or Mandarin Oriental!!)
TWO nights at Mandarin Oriental in HK.
brunos is offline   Reply With Quote