Wiki Posts
Search

[ended] Pilot strike announced February 6-9

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
[ended] Pilot strike announced February 6-9

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/2011/12/22/97002-20111222FILWWW00412-preavis-de-greve-des-pilotes-en-fevrier.php

In French only. Pilot unions want to go on strike against the ruling party's idea to pass a law that ensures a minimum service in air travel (NB: the law will not ensure that planes actually fly but should stipulate only that air travel personnel have to give advance notice of their intention strike 48 hours before so that airlines can better plan ahead. Currently this is not the case, pilots/FAs for instance sometimes only declare their intentions 1 hour before departure when pax are already checked in)

Last edited by San Gottardo; Dec 23, 2011 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum. Finnair Silver, LH Senator, Hyatt Platinum, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold
I need to travel to Bordeaux on those dates, so maybe i should fly KLM instead?
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:41 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
And I'm flying AMS-CDG-Onwards on AF those days. Havent flown AF in ages...and the first flight seems already shaky. Great.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL FO
From an AF FA I met @ KIX yesterday, if there is a strike, it will be a big one.
Unions are really upset by this law project and the upcoming social plan @ AF will force unions to show their power...
Could be a nasty strike!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
And I'm flying AMS-CDG-Onwards on AF those days. Havent flown AF in ages...and the first flight seems already shaky. Great.
if it's flex, I suggest you rebook the AMS-CDG leg on KL metal. That's already 50% less chance of getting stuck...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I always thought that AF staff had to declare their striking intentions 48h before actually striking, as is the rule in other transport industries. Apparently that is not the case. Can anyone confirm what is the current situation?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by brunos
I always thought that AF staff had to declare their striking intentions 48h before actually striking, as is the rule in other transport industries. Apparently that is not the case. Can anyone confirm what is the current situation?
That's only the case for public (bus, train, etc.) transportation afaik.
I know for sure that regarding FA's at AF, the airline only knows the crew is on strike when (s)he doesn't shop up for briefing 1h30 before the flight.

So having a list of crew going on strike 48hrs before would really smooth things up to adjust the rosters and plannings.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks for the confirmation. I have seen so many posts here saying that AF knows 48 hours before the strike (and thereby announces its canceled flight schedule) that I was surprised.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for the confirmation. I have seen so many posts here saying that AF knows 48 hours before the strike (and thereby announces its canceled flight schedule) that I was surprised.
The government is arguing for a "service minimum" in the air transport sector (and thus an obligation to declare a work stoppage 48 hours prior) and the ruling UMP party has introduced legislation to this effect that will be debated January 24.

Stay tuned.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Zembla
if it's flex, I suggest you rebook the AMS-CDG leg on KL metal. That's already 50% less chance of getting stuck...
It is not, at least not without a fee. I usually take the direct KL flight but AF arrives an hour or so earlier which relieves my schedule of a lot of pressure. Perhaps if it comes down to it I will ask them to move the whole trip one day up (Outbound at 10). Hopefully that will be possible befóre the 48H mark mentioned here.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
However, it seems it's not possible for a crew to go on strike during a duty. For example on medium-haul, if a crew has a 4 steps duty CDG-NCE-CDG-BES-CDG, as long as (s)he started its duty, it's not possible to strike before ending his/her duty.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:43 am

Are there any updates on the subject?

I havent heard more so far. Asked at the KL/FB desk in AMS a few days ago but they had no clue (And not willing to even think about rebooking).

A little over a week to go before they are supposed to start, I would have expected a bit more ruckus if there's a pilot strike that soon?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: HH Nobody, AF FB Platinum, SIXT Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Ambassador
Hi all,

Has anyone got any update about the strike?

I've just received an email from my corporate travel agency advising me about this potential strike for a CDG outbound flight I have on AF the 6th of feb.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...-de-la-cgt.php

In French, CGT calls for a strike on Air France.

Here's the direct link to the CGT announcement.

Also announced on Air France website.

Flight information: Febuary 6-9, 2012
An industrial dispute is called by several air transport unions from February 6 to 9, 2012.

Our commercial team will do its utmost to reduce the inconvenience caused by this action and inform you as soon as possible.

We invite you to update your contact information (mobile phone or e-mail) on this website.
Our commercial team will be able to inform you directly by SMS or e-mail accordingly in case of disruption impacting your flight.

As from the day before departure, you may check up-to-date information about your flight:
- on our website
- on our mobile.airfrance.com site or Air France application for BlackBerry, iPhone and Android.

Depending on the consequences of this social dispute, we are soon going to propose dedicated commercial instructions in order to allow you to modify or postpone your journey. They will be available on this Air France website on Friday 3rd February at the latest.

We apologize for any inconvenience this action impacting the whole French air transport industry may cause you.

Last edited by oenophilist; Feb 1, 2012 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:27 pm

It is said to be quite a heavy strike...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.