Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy [Premium Voyageur] on AF, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: virgin
Premium Economy [Premium Voyageur] on AF, is it worth it?

I have a 16+ hour flight from NYC to Cotonou (COO) via Paris on AF. Premium Economy is $1000 more than Economy to do, round trip, but as I have no experience in AF PE, I wondered if its worth it.

I've done Virgin and BA Premium Ec seating - is this comparable, with a bigger, wider seat, greater recline, and better food?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
We have several threads on Premium Voyageur, so you might wish to have a look there.

As far as the BA product is concerned, I would say that the AF product is better.

Regarding the price difference: you should also factor in that you will also get way for miles for flying PV.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; AF FB, SPG Gold, Plat Amex
I just got back from CDG to ATL in PV on 777 and I would definitely say it was worth the price... It is definitely NOT business class by any means, but they have packed economy so tightly these days that I could NEVER fly it on AF (I am 6' 200#--183 cm/91kg) and it would kill me. The seat is not especially comfortable (take a good "tempurpedic"-like pillow to sit on), but there is substantially much more room than economy--they offer a better amenity kit AND you can standby for an upgrade using miles (there needs to be "O" availability to move into).
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: virgin
PV to business priority upgrade?

Interesting - tell me more about the priority wait list for upgrade PV to Business:

I am Flying Blue Gold, so does that help? and how many miles does it cost?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by peegeenyc
Interesting - tell me more about the priority wait list for upgrade PV to Business:

I am Flying Blue Gold, so does that help?
There is no priority upgrade wait list on AF. Daveinatl was probably talking about upgrading to the upper class with miles if there is availability.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:18 am

PV over economy any day

I flew CDG-BOS this spring in PV on my first AF long-haul flight for years and found it overall a pleasant experience. I can't judge the food against any of the other classes. What struck me was the over-reliance on flour - quiche to start, tartlet to finish, and pasta in between. I don't remember if there was a choice of main course. Had I been served it in business, I would have been disappointed, in economy, probably a bit annoyed at the lack of imagination.

Nice:
- seat sits in a shell, so nobody reclines towards you.
- priority check-in/bag drop at airport and priority boarding, good even for someone without status.
- comfortable recline and footrest, nice blanket, nice amenity kit.

Less nice:
- crew conspicuous by its absence. Chatted amongst themselves in the galley for most of the journey.

I also did have a chance to wander around the economy cabin, and based on just seeing it, I would go for PV any time.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
CDG-JFK and HOU-CDG

The seat is not comfortable, however, the first row has a lot of legroom as many report which makes it a bit easier.

The food is an absolute crap.

Not worth the price unless it is a real bargain.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Keter
CDG-JFK and HOU-CDG

The seat is not comfortable, however, the first row has a lot of legroom as many report which makes it a bit easier.

I flew CDG NKC in PV (seated on a window first row, withouth anyone next to me) and had a great flight, using an award ticket. i think it was a good value, much better than flying regular economy.
Of course the food is the same as in Y, but i can stand it.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF PE seats do not recline more than regular Y seats. They have a fixed shell but do not recline (slide a bit). The major advantage is that no-one reclines in front of you, but not great for sleeping as your own seat does not recline much..
Some airlines offer much better PE seats, e.g. Air New Zealand (http://www.ausbt.com.au/best-seats-p...-777-300er-77w) or AZ (http://www.alitalia.com/FR_FR/your_t...lus/index.aspx).
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Keter
CDG-JFK and HOU-CDG

You probably expected too much for the price. PV is priced way closer to Economy than to Business. Of course, other airlines have better PEco seats, but then they are more expensive (except TK, which have low prices in general). Food in AF PV is the same as Economy, which is part of the concept and clearly advertised.
I prefer PV over Economy all the time, whenever Business is not possible. Actually I do'nt fly Economy anymore since AF have introduced PV.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:29 am

Regarding the seat recline: it depends on how you can sleep on it. I use the back rest for my head only. The rest of my body is on the seat space and the leg rest. So I sleep embryo-style, on my side. This works perfectly for me.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Yes definitely

I'm 48 and ...
the only time in my life I managed to sleep in a CDG --> SIN was in Premium Eco on AF 257 ... I would do it again for sure !
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:24 pm

Absolutely!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Related question, which I don't think is worth a new thread:

If you book premium eco with a connecting flight within Europa (random example IAD-CDG-MAD) in what cabin will you be put on the European flight? Premium Eco (that's Business Class with no middle seats blocked, right?) or normal economy? And what if that European flight is operated by a carrier that doesn't have a Prem Eco cabin, for example KL to AMS or AZ to FCO?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 8:25 am

Yes, you fly Prem Eco on AF. Yes, Prem Eco is Business without middle seat blocked. (Though, given the quality of AF's European Business product, it's probably more realistic to say that Business is Prem Eco with middle seat blocked.) I don't know what the official rule for KL flights is, but on the 3 occassions I had to be rebooked from AF to KL (due to flight delay), they put me in Business. No idea about AZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.