Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:12 pm

Anyone knows how far in advance before a flight these are usually offered? and if so, would it come by email or do I will it be within the manage reservation page?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Caroao
Anyone knows how far in advance before a flight these are usually offered? and if so, would it come by email or do I will it be within the manage reservation page?
All the answers are in this thread. But basically, 24-48hrs before flight. E-mail but sometimes only in MMB/OLCI.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:08 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
CDG-LHR during OLCI
Y to J - 129 Euros

Exit row works for me very well on this route
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
On European routes, they should propose upgrade to C at a discount for Gold and Platinum: we already get all premium ground service, if the price was like 49 EUR for cold meal, 79 EUR for hot meal, 99 EUR for extra long medium haul, that could possibly work, but 129 EUR for CDG LHR when you already have lounge access and skypriority, it makes no sense at all.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
CDG-LHR during OLCI
Y to J - 129 Euros

Exit row works for me very well on this route
I had the same also at OLCI recently - same route, but reverse. Didn't take it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak
To me it just doesn't make sense: same seat comfort (most of the time in this route on AF or BA I end up with the seat next to me empty), SkyPriority + Lounge access anyways, and overall short flight. Not even on the 789.

Of course, it can be different when you are flying Business as part of a longer itinerary connecting in London, as the PAR-LON segment will be included in the fare anyways.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
same price from CDG to GVA, and reverse.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I'd be curious to ear from anyone taking them up on that "offer".
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by RabbitIYH
I'd be curious to ear from anyone taking them up on that "offer".
to know what ?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:45 am

Actually, for someone traveling with 2 heavy bags (over 23KG) and no status, purchasing the upgrade option at 129€ could make sense:

2 Bags (light fare) : 90€ + overweight: 140€ = 230€, a total saving of 101€ plus the passenger gets SkyPriority, lounge, and has a decent meal.

2 Bags (other economy fares): 45€ + overweight: 140€ = 185€, a total saving of 56€ plus the passenger gets SkyPriority, lounge, and has a decent meal.

A few years ago I was traveling on inter-island flights in Hawaii and had many bags to check. It made more sense to us to buy an upgrade to First Class for
USD 50 (even for a 35-minute flight) and get the allowance instead of having to pay more for the bags.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:30 pm

This might be a very stupid question, and sorry if it was answered before: I usually put in my Flying Blue number with my AF bookings, but if I put another partner rewards program in (namely, Alaska), do you guys know if I have chances to get the upgrade offers? In other words, are they only for Flying Blue members or is anyone eligible no matter what?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Klems
This might be a very stupid question, and sorry if it was answered before: I usually put in my Flying Blue number with my AF bookings, but if I put another partner rewards program in (namely, Alaska), do you guys know if I have chances to get the upgrade offers? In other words, are they only for Flying Blue members or is anyone eligible no matter what?
I am both flying blue and Delta Skymiles member. As a FB Ivory I have received an upgrade offer every time I am flying on an award ticket and my FB number is attached to it. As a Skymiles Platinum I think I receive an upgrade offer around 50% of the time. I have colleagues who do not attach any FF number to the reservation and seem to receive upgrade offers as well.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Actually, for someone traveling with 2 heavy bags (over 23KG) and no status, purchasing the upgrade option at 129€ could make sense:

2 Bags (light fare) : 90€ + overweight: 140€ = 230€, a total saving of 101€ plus the passenger gets SkyPriority, lounge, and has a decent meal.

2 Bags (other economy fares): 45€ + overweight: 140€ = 185€, a total saving of 56€ plus the passenger gets SkyPriority, lounge, and has a decent meal.

A few years ago I was traveling on inter-island flights in Hawaii and had many bags to check. It made more sense to us to buy an upgrade to First Class for
USD 50 (even for a 35-minute flight) and get the allowance instead of having to pay more for the bags.
With klm at least, if you take the offer to upgrade at check in, your original luggage allowance applies.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:50 am

I am both flying blue and Delta Skymiles member. As a FB Ivory I have received an upgrade offer every time I am flying on an award ticket and my FB number is attached to it. As a Skymiles Platinum I think I receive an upgrade offer around 50% of the time. I have colleagues who do not attach any FF number to the reservation and seem to receive upgrade offers as well.
Thank you, good to know.

I was wondering that also because when I don't get an offer by email, sometimes I ask directly for an upgrade at the airport and they stopped giving me the super discounted upgrade rate ("Offre découverte"). I mentioned it in another message a few pages ago, but that rate is around $450 for JFK/CDG, and now it's consistently around $1400 because they say I already benefitted from the discounted one before. But I somewhat assume that they figure that out because of my Flying Blue number, so I want to check what happens if I put another rewards program number - or no number at all for that matter.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Gajan
With klm at least, if you take the offer to upgrade at check in, your original luggage allowance applies.
Yep, original fare conditions (save lounge access) apply. Same miles allowance, same bag allowance as original ticket. I believe the same goes for AF?
@Klems: even without an FFP number, you get offers. There's some weird revenue management with regards to Skymiles / AS Mileage Plan / Flying Blue members as some people report fewer offers with certain tiers of Skymiles / FB or certain FFPs. Who knows if it's true or just a perceived slight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.