Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
247EUR mistake fare for BOS-AMS-CDG-YUL.
Received and accepted offer to upgrade CDG-YUL AF346 on A380 from Y (cheeeeap N class) to J for 289EUR. 536EUR for half DL Economy Comfort, half AF Affaires TATLs. Totally worth it.

Based on the loads my odds were good that I'd have been op-upped to Premium Voyageur. But PV is boring, right?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 7:13 pm

I was offered the €339 upgrade from T to Affaires from CDG to CPT. Took it in a heartbeat!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Napapijri
I was offered the €339 upgrade from T to Affaires from CDG to CPT. Took it in a heartbeat!
What is your travel date and when did you hear from AF? I am going next weekend and was hoping to get a similar offer, but nothing yet...
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Hi, a newbie to AF here. I got an "exceptional upgrade offer" email to upgrade from PV (A fare) to Affaires for 199EUR on my DTW-CDG flight this weekend. Looked like a pretty good offer to me so I registered last night. Haven't got a call yet. This is on a 3-cabin (J/PY/Y) A343 and the J cabin does look pretty empty with only 40% of the seats taken and J9...Z6.

I was wondering how this works because the email says "for FB members" but I'm not. Will they ask me to join??
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MtRoot
Hi, a newbie to AF here. I got an "exceptional upgrade offer" email to upgrade from PV (A fare) to Affaires for 199EUR on my DTW-CDG flight this weekend. Looked like a pretty good offer to me so I registered last night. Haven't got a call yet. This is on a 3-cabin (J/PY/Y) A343 and the J cabin does look pretty empty with only 40% of the seats taken and J9...Z6.

I was wondering how this works because the email says "for FB members" but I'm not. Will they ask me to join??
No, the offer is not FB-member-specific, you certainly won't need to join if you don't want to.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by orbitmic
No, the offer is not FB-member-specific, you certainly won't need to join if you don't want to.
Thanks, glad to hear that. I was going to use my KE number because I have a Chase Sapphire and upcoming flights on EK.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My wife is flying JFK-CDG on a DL award ticket on Monday, and was offered an upgrade for €139 to PV and €329 to Affaires. Got the email on Tuesday I think, they called Thursday to confirm but I was on the phone, they called back this morning and confirmed it. I'm flying IAD-CDG in two weeks, we'll see what I get (A380 so that might make a difference).
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:34 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Got another offer last week for 298 euro Y-J upgrade again, AF344 CDG-YUL, had a misunderstanding on the first phone call a couple of days later, thought I lost it, sent an email to the address in the original email, they called me the next day and go the upgrade. The agent told me this route is #1 in people taking this deal don'T know if that is true. Happy to be out of the 3-4-3 Y on the 77W
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by newbie elite
Got another offer last week for 298 euro Y-J upgrade again, AF344 CDG-YUL, had a misunderstanding on the first phone call a couple of days later, thought I lost it, sent an email to the address in the original email, they called me the next day and go the upgrade. The agent told me this route is #1 in people taking this deal don'T know if that is true. Happy to be out of the 3-4-3 Y on the 77W
CDG-YUL used to be chronically overbooked in Y and underbooked in J, especially in the summer. That is why a few years ago they started to introduce some planes with fewer J seats (COI before the 'loisir' configuration was even conceived for non-COI flights) although in another thread, our friend Goldorak pointed out that there are a few more J seats this year as compared to last. My guess is that this has not sufficed to compensate the imbalance on that route and I suspect that this is why the offer is probably quite frequent on that route (but I imagine that opup's which used to be very frequent may be less so now).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:44 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by newbie elite
also got an offer between YUL and CDG last week on A380: 149€ from PV award to J. didn't take it because I was hoping a op-up at the gate, considering the flight was likely to be full in Y. Got all wrong 0/9F, 18/80 in J, 17/38(?) in PV, not even 50% in Y. I saw it on the paper load sheet at check-in (flight was 4h delayed and renumbered). Gambled and lost :-(
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by guillaumem
also got an offer between YUL and CDG last week on A380: 149€ from PV award to J. didn't take it because I was hoping a op-up at the gate, considering the flight was likely to be full in Y. Got all wrong 0/9F, 18/80 in J, 17/38(?) in PV, not even 50% in Y. I saw it on the paper load sheet at check-in (flight was 4h delayed and renumbered). Gambled and lost :-(
Very useful data point thanks! Of course, we can't be sure if they offered despite the flight looking empty or if bookings looked high and RM ended up guessing it wrong (not unusual for the part few years) but a very interesting situation either way.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
It would be pointless to offer paid upgrades if declining them would lead to free opup, imho...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by Zembla
It would be pointless to offer paid upgrades if declining them would lead to free opup, imho...
I agree (a bit too late though). On Y-packed flights, I believed there could have been opportunities. But the first assumption of a Y-loaded flight wasn't even true.

I will be flying to PEK and NRT in the coming months. Did anybody see paid upgrades offer on those flights? Most of testimonies in this forum are reporting US/Canada flights (+ CPT). I am flying to China, Japan and Korea several times a year and never got an offer. A lot of op-ups though, so far from being complaining!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: FB, PELT: M&M Senator: Priority Club Platinum Ambasador, BA, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold,
I will be flying to PEK and NRT in the coming months. Did anybody see paid upgrades offer on those flights? Most of testimonies in this forum are reporting US/Canada flights (+ CPT). I am flying to China, Japan and Korea several times a year and never got an offer. A lot of op-ups though, so far from being complaining!
Both my wife and I got an offer to upgrade to J from PV for 169,- Got called yesteraday by AF to confirm.. Flight AF117 is from PVG (Shanghai) to Paris.

Good deal i would say... Wife is Plat. I'm Plat LT
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: DL FO
I agree (a bit too late though). On Y-packed flights, I believed there could have been opportunities. But the first assumption of a Y-loaded flight wasn't even true.

I was offered the upgrade to NRT mid-august, on the infamous AF278 flight (Dep. 23.35 in a 77W)
169EUR Y->W
389EUR Y->J.
I had to decline it as I was not sure to fly.
No offer on the return AF277. The flight was full due to the connection from NOU.
A friend was offered the upgrade on the A380 AF276 flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.