Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
flew SEA-DTW-CDG and flying CDG-MSP-SEA tomorrow. my seats are booked in premium economy (not sure what fare code - how do i find out?). i'm guessing that my fare code is probably the most discounted fare though and it wasn't too expensive (around $1800 RT).

was offered an upgrade for the DTW-CDG part for $400 so i took it and rode in business.

bought my ticket back in mid july and there were no premium economy seats that i could see available on the CDG-MSP flight back. it's been full ever since for 3 months and when i checked in today it says that i'm on standby. i called and asked about upgrading to business (there were 7 seats avail in business last night) but they said that it would be around $3k so i said no...

i guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow. maybe they offered upgrades to other folks in PE, some will take it and go to business and that will open up a seat for me.

or they can just offer me an upgrade...

or they can upgrade me for free...(they may as well offer me a paid upgrade since i'll probably be ok to pay for it)

or can they hose me and stick me in economy?

or can they hose me and make me miss my flight?

time will tell...

Rock.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by Rock72
bought my ticket back in mid july and there were no premium economy seats that i could see available on the CDG-MSP flight back. it's been full ever since for 3 months and when i checked in today it says that i'm on standby. i called and asked about upgrading to business (there were 7 seats avail in business last night) but they said that it would be around $3k so i said no...

i guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow. maybe they offered upgrades to other folks in PE, some will take it and go to business and that will open up a seat for me.
The only CDG-MSP tomorrow is an AF-codeshare, operated by Delta. Therefore, you will not receive any kind of paid upgrade offer during the check-in process. But you can ask at the airport. However, the flight is J0Y9 with seats available in the lowest booking class in Economy, meaning that it is wide open in Economy and full and maybe overbooked in Business.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by olivedel
The only CDG-MSP tomorrow is an AF-codeshare, operated by Delta. Therefore, you will not receive any kind of paid upgrade offer during the check-in process. But you can ask at the airport. However, the flight is J0Y9 with seats available in the lowest booking class in Economy, meaning that it is wide open in Economy and full and maybe overbooked in Business.
Delta has been offering paid upgrades during check-in as well, so if the flight had availability in J, it could definitely happen.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Delta has been offering paid upgrades during check-in as well, so if the flight had availability in J, it could definitely happen.
Even if the flight is AF-coded?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Even if the flight is AF-coded?
Yes. I was offered an upgrade for around 700 USD departing JFK on a DL-operated / AF-Codeshared (Delta 400). I believe once it goes to check-in, it doesn't matter if it's codeshared.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
quick update.

no upgrade offered for CDG-MSP. i checked in and got 15A and was told it was the last seat available in premium economy.

i had seat 38F on delta for MSP-SEA (set up via delta.com) but was told in CDG that they could not get me a boarding pass. in MSP the gate gave me a boarding pass but it was seat 48A (or something like that...2nd to last row window).

overall, the flight was fine and i made it home so i'm happy.

premium economy...not sure if it was worth paying 2X economy though.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:18 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Just checked in for ATH-CDG (3:25 hr flight) and or me it was the first time to see an upgrade offer intra-Europe on air France. Priced at 119 euro the upgrade was actually cheaper than my next flight, CDG-AMS, which they wanted 129 for! (1 hr flight)

Anyhow, I didn't bite - 120 bucks may be low for the upgrade, but it may also be a sign of an overbooked flight. Therefore chances for an opup. And even if not, my exit row in economy will do fine
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
but it may also be a sign of an overbooked flight. Therefore chances for an opup.
could be but not sure at all; but even if overbooked, do not forget that pup from Y to C medium haul are very rare because they can adjust the Y cabin size in 2 min.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It worked out even better. I arrived at the airport early and a lovely check in lady rebooked me onto the direct KLM flight free of charge. I also got my favorite EC seat. This means I will not only depart earlier, and fly direct instead of via Paris, but also arrive home 3 hours earlier than planned. Which is great news after a day of problems and delays!

If she was only able to rebook me because the AF flight is overbooked I don't know, she didn't mention anything. Though she did offer me an upgrade to KLM business for 129 euro, which may indicate that also the KLM flight is quite full. Or not. We will see

A few days ago somebody on here mentioned that service at the airline base airport would always be better than at outstations; which this example kind of disproves. I'd say that, as a gold member, one would never get something like this done at Amsterdam or Paris.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It worked out even better. I arrived at the airport early and a lovely check in lady rebooked me onto the direct KLM flight free of charge. I also got my favorite EC seat. This means I will not only depart earlier, and fly direct instead of via Paris, but also arrive home 3 hours earlier than planned. Which is great news after a day of problems and delays!

If she was only able to rebook me because the AF flight is overbooked I don't know, she didn't mention anything. Though she did offer me an upgrade to KLM business for 129 euro, which may indicate that also the KLM flight is quite full. Or not. We will see

A few days ago somebody on here mentioned that service at the airline base airport would always be better than at outstations; which this example kind of disproves. I'd say that, as a gold member, one would never get something like this done at Amsterdam or Paris.
Excellent indeed ^
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:44 pm

4 of us flying tomorrow (October 14th, 2015) AF345 YUL-CDG-BCN booked on PE lowest fare. Checked in 24hrs prior and was offered $300 CAD per person to upgrade to business and we took it.

On the CDG - BCN route we were offered "seat plus" which is basically an exit row for $21.00 CAD. I refused this but on the payment page I was offered the same seats again for 50% off at $10.50 CAD. Not sure if this is a tactic they would offer from PE to Biz, anyone seen this before?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by abbymtl
4 of us flying tomorrow (October 14th, 2015) AF345 YUL-CDG-BCN booked on PE lowest fare. Checked in 24hrs prior and was offered $300 CAD per person to upgrade to business and we took it.
great deal!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:24 pm

Flying LCY-AMS-NBO-LUN on an AF booked ticket on KLM/KQ.

I've heard nothing T-5 days.

Does this mean I'm unlikely to be offered anything?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Did you see his answer?
for CDG-MSP. i checked in and got 15A and was told it was the last seat available in premium economy.

So, it looks like there was PE on the plane, when Delta does not have PE.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Rock72
quick update.

no upgrade offered for CDG-MSP. i checked in and got 15A and was told it was the last seat available in premium economy. (...)

premium economy...not sure if it was worth paying 2X economy though.
Was it an AF plane? Olivedel said it was Delta flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.