Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have a long haul flight tomorrow (in Y ) and just did OLCI. Despite the flight seems to be wide open in all fare buckets, there was not "magic button" proposing a paid upgrade. So it seems that the "magic button" is not proposed to everyone, like the e-mail.
Well it could be either "not everyone" or "not every flight"!!

That said, again in the case of my Dad, there was no "magic button" per se, it was just a matter of scrolling the seat map towards the front and seeing J seats free with the cost of the upgrade indicated.

Good luck with the AF Y seat, not a very pleasant way to spend 10 hours but hope you could at least bag an exit row or something slightly less punishing than a "normal" seat!...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That said, again in the case of my Dad, there was no "magic button" per se, it was just a matter of scrolling the seat map towards the front and seeing J seats free with the cost of the upgrade indicated.
Interesting. Thank you for the tip. I did first check MMB on the web site and did not see the button, so went to the mobile app to do OLCI. But I was not able to access the J seat map on the mobile app.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Good luck with the AF Y seat, not a very pleasant way to spend 10 hours but hope you could at least bag an exit row or something slightly less punishing than a "normal" seat!...
Thanks. It's not too bad because I have secured a row 65 seat - upper deck 744
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

Thanks. It's not too bad because I have secured a row 65 seat - upper deck 744
Phew!! Much better that way - definitely not a "random seat" indeed, and I would personally put that above paid AF Premium Economy any day!! Enjoy your trip, hopefully somewhere nice!!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I did first check MMB on the web site and did not see the button
What does MMB mean...???
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: Many
Manage My Booking
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bodory
Manage My Booking
Thank you.

Does this paid option to "move" seats only come up during OLCI? Or has it ever popped up before when looking at your itinerary?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:13 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

When the UG is offered, is it only a 1-class upgrade?

Meaning, has anyone ever been offered an UG from PE to First? Or is it always only to Business Class?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
When the UG is offered, is it only a 1-class upgrade?

Meaning, has anyone ever been offered an UG from PE to First? Or is it always only to Business Class?
They are proposing 2-classes upgrades : from Y to J.
I have never been proposed W to P. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I think the cost would be prohibitive anyway. Upgrades from J to P have been proposed to me at €2000 or 2300 one-way, so W to P would be something like €4000 one-way. If you're ready to pay that, I believe you don't fly W and buy directly a J ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

They are proposing 2-classes upgrades : from Y to J.
I have never been proposed W to P. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist but I think the cost would be prohibitive anyway. Upgrades from J to P have been proposed to me at €2000 or 2300 one-way, so W to P would be something like €4000 one-way. If you're ready to pay that, I believe you don't fly W and buy directly a J ticket.
Yeah. That's a little out of my price range. Haha!

I'd pay $500 to UG to J though. Totally worth it for a 10hr flight, IMO.

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:54 am

Data point: I took a TATL flight yesterday which was zeroed out on Expertflyer. It turns out that F was empty and J and W were half empty. Still, I was not offered to purchase an upgrade.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by af fp
Data point: I took a TATL flight yesterday which was zeroed out on Expertflyer. It turns out that F was empty and J and W were half empty. Still, I was not offered to purchase an upgrade.
This happens quite often and also the opposite (i.e. a flight showing full (9) availability in all classes and all fare buckets and leaves 100% full). In your case, there could be many reasons. It can be a "group" who missed a connection or change their plans at the last minute. It could also has been a preventive "zeroing out" to re accommodate pax in prevision of a cancellation of another flight for a weather issue that finally did not happen, etc etc.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:38 am

Also if the flight is code-shared under block-seat agreement, the partner airline may still have some seats to sell.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
at OLCI -- GIG to CDG -- S to J upgrade - Ł311 -- accepted ! (21 June, 2014)

-- no status - Alaska Airlines number in booking

Last edited by Wembleygal; Jun 23, 2014 at 9:54 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:39 am

OLCI - CDG-HAJ - Y to C (on an Embraer 190...) - 79 EUR from M fare
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:23 pm

Here's my little paid upgrade story.

Booked a return flight JFK-CDG-BUD on Delta, flight was on AF metal. Ticket was in business class US-EU and premium economy on the return EU-US leg. Total cost: $2757.

I really enjoyed my first TATL flight in business class with lay flat seats on an A330. Nothing to complain about.

On the return leg, the BUD-CDG flight was delayed by an hour, which made me miss the CDG-JFK connection (which was on an A380, sigh). I was rebooked on a later CDG-JFK flight, this time on an B777-300. Looking at the seat assignment, it seemed like I was downgraded to an economy seat, and a look at Seat Guru confirmed my suspicion. My initial thought was that perhaps premium economy was fully booked so they had no choice but to downgrade me.

Went to the customer service desk to inquire about the downgrade. The reps initial response was "you were not booked on premium economy". I had to bring out my phone and show her the original itinerary that clearly showed a W fare. After a quick call to Delta she confirmed I was booked on premium economy and issued a new boarding pass. So far so good.

I still had 3 hours to spare until the flight so I started to regret my original decision to not book business both ways. The original business return ticket would have cost me $3400, so about $700 more than my actual ticket. Even three days before the scheduled flight, Delta would let me do a paid upgrade, but would add a $300 change fee for a total of about $1000 to upgrade to business. My thought was that perhaps AF would come up with a more reasonable upgrade fee.

Back to the customer service desk, talking to a different rep. She looked at my booking and said "but you were already upgraded from economy to premium economy". Yet again I had to explain that no, I was not upgraded, they just fixed a rebooking mistake. The rep finally agreed and looked at paid upgrade availability from premium economy to business: a whopping EUR 1200. A complete joke.

Now, based on this price, I again thought that the flight was fully booked. After boarding the plane, here is what I saw: a tiny first class section with 8 seats and perhaps 2 passengers sitting there. A huge business section with around 60 seats. A total of maybe 6 passengers sitting there. A tiny premium economy section with about 30 seats. Half empty, maybe 15 seats occupied. The remaining half of the plane was economy, packed as always.

Now, can please someone explain AF's logic here? Here's a passenger who is willing to pay for a business upgrade. Yet they whip out a price that is completely unreasonable. I would have taken the upgrade if it was say 400-500 EUR (i.e. the original difference between premium economy and business). Yet they wanted to charge me a whopping 1200. So they got nothing and rather flew with a half empty business class section. How does that make sense at all? The way I see it is that the 500 EUR upgrade fee would be free money for AF - I would be on that flight no matter what, they had plenty of empty seats and the difference in food between premium economy and business surely doesn't cost them 500 EUR.

Any idea what the rationale behind the pricing is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.