Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate auto-check in!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Were you able to change your seats online? There were mentioned upthread that some elite pax had been able to change their seats even on MiNi (even though I could not myself last December) so I was hoping that AF had finally cancelled that absurd notion that we could not change our seat except at the airport. If you were not able to that sounds like the previous posters were benefitting from a computer glitch rather than the correction of a poor policy.
When i was a silver member in May i could change my seat at OLCI on a MiNi ticket for OSL-CDG. Couldn't get further upfront than 10A, but that's normal anyway, the prem eco cabin usually starts around row 5-7 on those flights.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: Many
Auto-check in assigned me row 27 on the domestic A321 the other day. The fare was not an Abonné one but not a MiNi either. And it was impossible at h-30 to get something under row 23.

It seems the system highly favors the fare and not the status (Platinum in that case).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Were you able to change your seats online? There were mentioned upthread that some elite pax had been able to change their seats even on MiNi (even though I could not myself last December) so I was hoping that AF had finally cancelled that absurd notion that we could not change our seat except at the airport. If you were not able to that sounds like the previous posters were benefitting from a computer glitch rather than the correction of a poor policy.
I recently was on a fairly expensive classic fare. I got a seat allocated but could not find a way to change it on the website. How do you do it?
I could only do at airport and kiosk.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
I recently was on a fairly expensive classic fare. I got a seat allocated but could not find a way to change it on the website. How do you do it?
I could only do at airport and kiosk.
On a classic fare you should have definitely been able to change seats unless all had been allocated? But then that wouldn't be the first time "the system" does not permit to do what we are effectively entitled to
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by bodory
Auto-check in assigned me row 27 on the domestic A321 the other day. The fare was not an Abonné one but not a MiNi either. And it was impossible at h-30 to get something under row 23.

It seems the system highly favors the fare and not the status (Platinum in that case).
Well, exactly 3 1/2 years to the day I started this thread, it seems that auto-check in still is as rubbish a system as when it started. So much for AF correcting "teething issues"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory

Same kind of story the other day. Autochecked-in and was offered a middle seat towards the back.
I could definitely feel that as a Platinum, I "will get the highest level of comfort and luxury that [they] have to offer".
I was able to change the seat, but why on earth would it default to a middle seat?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a classic fare you should have definitely been able to change seats unless all had been allocated? But then that wouldn't be the first time "the system" does not permit to do what we are effectively entitled to
In the past couple of flights in July, it was even FLEX.
Can someone with actual recent experience (AF Domestic flights) tell me how to change seats online?
I receive the BP as email attachment with some allocated seat. If I connect to my booking, I cannot change the seat (I cannot find any option that allows me to do that, but maybe I am stupid) but only reprint my BP. What should I do? Should I cancel my checkin and try again?
I can select other seats at airport kiosk
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
In the past couple of flights in July, it was even FLEX.
Can someone with actual recent experience (AF Domestic flights) tell me how to change seats online?
I receive the BP as email attachment with some allocated seat. If I connect to my booking, I cannot change the seat (I cannot find any option that allows me to do that, but maybe I am stupid) but only reprint my BP. What should I do? Should I cancel my checkin and try again?
I can select other seats at airport kiosk
Every time I have needed to change seat (make it every time, my last AF flights were mid-June so can't guarantee that there was no change since), I have simply checked in (if auto-checked in before, the FB number check in does not work so only using booking reference or ticket number) and then next to the seat, on non-MiNi fares, always have had a clickable option to change seat and then the full airline map opens with arrows backward/forward and available seats in blue. Then I would just click on the seat I want and it would be automatically updated, regardless of whether I would re-complete check in or not. I have never needed to cancel check in and always assumed that it was only needed when you want to change flight, not seats.

Silly question but have you tried doing it on the KLM website? It sometimes works better.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time I have needed to change seat (make it every time, my last AF flights were mid-June so can't guarantee that there was no change since), I have simply checked in (if auto-checked in before, the FB number check in does not work so only using booking reference or ticket number) and then next to the seat, on non-MiNi fares, always have had a clickable option to change seat and then the full airline map opens with arrows backward/forward and available seats in blue. Then I would just click on the seat I want and it would be automatically updated, regardless of whether I would re-complete check in or not. I have never needed to cancel check in and always assumed that it was only needed when you want to change flight, not seats.

Silly question but have you tried doing it on the KLM website? It sometimes works better.
Thanks, I will try for my next autochecked flight (if AF domestic as I am quite p**d off by AF domestic lately). I certainly could not do anything when logged under my FB number. Sad because I would have gladly paid extra for the emergency row.

I know that if I spend a long time trying all kinds of tricks, like using KL website, I improve my chances of success. But with AF horrible IT, there is always a bad surprise. Time ans stress is money. I have lost enough time with AF, besides the other minuses in terms of price and quality, punctuality etc... I much prefer the painless web experience of EZY; or that of other airlines when flying medium-haul (in AF strange terminology).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Seeing all your posts and my own frustration about auto-checkin, I have yet to understand what are the benefits for both passengers and the airline.
At least, for the passenger, the fact to choose a seat at booking time would solve this seat assignment problem. Or maybe adjust the rules for Plats and Golds (keep middle seat blocked whenever possible for example).
Also, why doing it so early? They could auto check-in remaining passengers at T-2 for example...
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
I have simply checked in (if auto-checked in before, the FB number check in does not work so only using booking reference or ticket number) and then next to the seat, on non-MiNi fares, always have had a clickable option to change seat and then the full airline map opens with arrows backward/forward and available seats in blue. Then I would just click on the seat I want and it would be automatically updated
Same experience here.

Simply ignored the fact that that I was checked in already.

Clicked on check-in on line on main page, identified myself using e-ticket number and I could choose my seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.