Wiki Posts
Search

AF A380 Biz seat prefs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AF A380 Biz seat prefs?

I don't think I have ever made this sort of post before on FT!!! (because i guess I have not been on a new a/c or type of service in the last decade perhaps..........)

I've got two segments coming up on the A388 in Biz, any suggestions from anyone who has flown this bird which biz seats are best?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I would choose a seat in the front smaller cabin. But I have flown the large 2nd J cabin and it wasn't bad also.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I did one of the LHR/CDG flights. Row 60 in the middle is nice. The windows only have one window. The A/B side has a loo. H/J seemed to be where I would choose.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Affaires

Flew JFK-CDG on Saturday the 25th of September. Flew Affaires class (It was classified as "First Class" when I booked it through Delta) and it was one of the best flights I've taken. We were in the middle of Affaires, the first section on the second level. VERY quiet. I could barely hear the engines when we were taking off and not at all during flight. Constant champagne (real, not sparkling wine) and really really good food throughout.

Best bird out there, as far as I'm concerned. We're taking a 777 back but their Affaires seats are all the same so it should be fine.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, Delta classifies it as BUSINESS CLASS, perhaps you connecting flight from ATL was FIRST CLASS. Regarding the seats and all, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I was absolutely shocked at how poor the product was as it was their extremely dated NEV3 seats jammed into the top deck of a A380, AF have done absolutely nothing to make it a special experience as practically all other airlines with A380's have done. Regarding the food, it was the same insipid meal they normally serve, yeah they serve champagne. They also serve extremely cheap and poor quality wines, which might as well say "red" and "white" on the bottles as that is how generic and crappy they are.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Ok...

Understood. I fly Delta domestically 100% of the time (except this trip, which is my first abroad in 7 years) and their service seemed so much nicer than what I've flown. I fly the 763-ER a lot from ATL to JFK and those seats are nice but I liked the A380 seats except for the lack of leather. As far as the wine, I'm a wine purist and know the price of a wine is irrelevent. I thought the wine was as good as you get in a normal restaurant. Nothing to write about in a publication but certainly palatable and something I would buy myself.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:32 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by mfullmer
it was one of the best flights I've taken.
I guess this means that AF must do more right than some forum members do make us believe

Originally Posted by hfly
I was absolutely shocked at how poor the product was
And again someone who really enjoyed an experience with AF gets "overruled" with arguments why he shouldn't have enjoyed it. Is this really necessary?

Last edited by Zembla; Oct 1, 2010 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uhh, Zembla, perspective. Firstly, I was the OP and created this thread, so it is only natural that I post a further comment and update (I in fact did comment on my A380 experience before, but not on this specific thread). Secondly, the guy flies 100% domestically and says he has not flown int'l in over 7 years, so perspective is everything, and the average FT int'l flier deserves a more balanced and regular view of how crappy the A380 biz seat/service is, especially from a AF/KL Lifetime Plat like myself as well as A Delta 2MM/DM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Uhh, Zembla, perspective.
Of course: perspective.

If one compares AF to certain other airlines it is easy to call everything "shocking", "outdated" and "crappy", as if they are the worst airline out there. Then, if you compare AF to even more airlines, you could call them "good", "modern" and "classy". That is also perspective.

In this forum, if somebody really enjoyed an experience with AF he gets "overruled" with arguments why he shouldn't have enjoyed it. Once again. Is that really necessary?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Compared to who exactly? BA and LH their main comopetitors? Aeroflot and Turkish who both have better Biz products in short AND long haul? Or are you comparing to Arik Air and Ariana?

Regarding being "overruled", a one time traveller who is only used to modern US domestic flying's opinion is statistically irrelevent to any true comparison. The importance to point this out is for the caual FT user in order to help them sort the wheat from the chaff.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:38 am

irrelevent?

Compared to who exactly? BA and LH their main comopetitors? Aeroflot and Turkish who both have better Biz products in short AND long haul? Or are you comparing to Arik Air and Ariana?

Regarding being "overruled", a one time traveller who is only used to modern US domestic flying's opinion is statistically irrelevent to any true comparison. The importance to point this out is for the caual FT user in order to help them sort the wheat from the chaff.
Your original question asked about the seats on the 388 in BIZ. Why is my post any more irrelevent than anyone else?. I was relaying my experience with the seats in row 63. You might think that only your opinion counts as you are a loyal AF flyer but as someone who has flown over 180k miles this year alone on Delta, at least 1/2 of those miles being on Delta Int'l equipment, I hardly would say I'm a greenie.

This is why people turn away from this kind of forum. I personally don't feel my opinion, regarding a flight or a seat, is any more relevant than a first time flyer - as far as the OPINION of the EXPERIENCE goes. That's just me, of course.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:49 am

Compared to who exactly?
You'd be surprised. Arik is quite good. For example: they have modern flat beds which make AF NEV seats look "crappy" and "outdated."

Anyway, to the point: Based on experiences over the past year, I think AF is better than LH. (Not the FF program though)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by mfullmer
Your original question asked about the seats on the 388 in BIZ. Why is my post any more irrelevent than anyone else?. I was relaying my experience with the seats in row 63. You might think that only your opinion counts as you are a loyal AF flyer but as someone who has flown over 180k miles this year alone on Delta, at least 1/2 of those miles being on Delta Int'l equipment, I hardly would say I'm a greenie.

This is why people turn away from this kind of forum. I personally don't feel my opinion, regarding a flight or a seat, is any more relevant than a first time flyer - as far as the OPINION of the EXPERIENCE goes. That's just me, of course.
+1
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Any more recommendation for best/worst seats in J on A380?
Not much info so far except usual discussion on quality of product.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
We flew 60EF CDG-JFK. The conversations from the Gallery can be quite audible, which I was not a fan of trying to sleep. Also, we disembarked from the middle of J, so the forward rows in the mini-cabin do not provide for quick deplaning. If I were to fly the A380 again, I would choose something further back in the mini-cabin or forward in the second J cabin.

Fwiw, loved the flight itself, did not like the attendant waits to board, to load and leave, at immigration and then for our luggage, so will skip in the future unless it's the only option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.