Search

FlyBE and Air France co-operation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
FlyBE and Air France co-operation

Flybe and Air France announce landmark tie-up

UK’s Number One Domestic airline’s new commercial relationship with major European carrier extends global reach Air France further strengthens its position in Europe’s Number One market.

Flybe and Air France, have today announced plans to implement this autumn, an extensive commercial relationship in a move that will benefit the interests of their customers and the communities they serve.

This new relationship takes the form of an extensive codeshare agreement that will add value to millions of regional air travellers in the UK,France and beyond, giving Flybe passengers access to five additional routes between the UK and France as well as seven new domestic French routes and 11 international routes.

See http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pr...commerciale-1/
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Have flown FlyBe a couple of times and it's actually not half bad for being a LCC, except it's not that cheap... FlyBe do operate quite a few central areas of France that AF doesn't so this is a plus IMO, but most are out of Southampton unfortunately.

Wasn't FlyBe once a sub of BA?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Cupart
Wasn't FlyBe once a sub of BA?
Almost.

Flybe bought the non-LCY routes of BA Connect in 2007. As a consequence, BA part-owns Flybe (15%).
http://www.flybe.com/company_information/history.htm
http://www.flybe.com/company_information/ownership.htm

I wonder which routes will qualify for ST status in FB, i.e. qualifying flights to extend the life of FB miles.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
@:-) This sounds almost too good to be true! ^^ I recently had a couple of BE flights to/from LSI, but they were operated by LoganAir and not that great. I have a o/w FlyBe down to CWL in a few weeks and, as Cher Cupart has said, they're not actually that cheap, especially if you want to pay by c/c and have a seat.

However, the AF codeshare agreement on the GLA-CDG route is excellent for me and many other Glasgow-based AF fans, as we now won't have to travel overland to EDI to plug into the AF l/h network. And I'm sure the same is true for folks in other UK cities not linked to CDG by AF or CityJet.

Actually, for some time now there's been speculation and/or rumours that CityJet might be starting up GLA-CDG service, but I guess that's off the cards now!

So, what next - FlyBe in SkyTeam? (This was a flippant, surreal wish I posted over in the SkyTeam forum a little while ago ... maybe somebody who's somebody looked in! )

-- HenryBe
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Roger
I wonder which routes will qualify for ST status in FB, i.e. qualifying flights to extend the life of FB miles.
AFAIK, any flight with an AF (or KL) prefix, regardless of the operator, gives FB level miles (unless they invent a 0% rate for a new BE booking class ).

-- Henry
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:14 am

Sorry can't get excited by this news as GLA-CDG is not a direct service.
Had the misfortune of travelling Flybe on GLA-CDG via BHX some years ago.
Not a good experience.

Why can't a proper airline (non LCC) not offer GLA-CDG v.v. and make money on it?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by kmck
Had the misfortune of travelling Flybe on GLA-CDG via BHX some years ago.
Not a good experience.
Kinda takes the edge off the 'good news'; flying GLA-CDG to connect to AF l/h and having to change somewhere, I guess AMS wins over BHX every time! (Although I've just checked FlyBe.com and they're offering MAN and SOU as intermediates, but I think AMS still wins.)

Why can't a proper airline (non LCC) not offer GLA-CDG v.v. and make money on it?
That's a very good question and has been asked on FlyerTalk on a number of previous occasions! GLA seems to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb as the largest UK city without proper flights to CDG. Maybe there's still hope in CityJet!

-- Henry
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Roger

Air France will market and add its AF code to the following Flybe flights to and from:

Birmingham - Avignon; Bergerac; Bordeaux; Brest; Chambery; La Rochelle; Limoges; Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG); Perpignan; Rennes; Toulouse; Belfast; Glasgow; Guernsey; Inverness; Isle Of Man; Jersey
Exeter - Avignon; Bergerac; Chambery; Rennes
Edinburgh - Bergerac; Limoges; Rennes
Glasgow - La Rochelle
Jersey - Nice
London Gatwick - Bergerac; Limoges
Manchester - Avignon; Bergerac; Brest; La Rochelle; Limoges; Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG); Rennes; Belfast; Glasgow; Inverness; Isle of Man
Newcastle - Limoges
Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) - Belfast, Cardiff, Exeter, Glasgow, Jersey
Southampton - Avignon; Bergerac; Bordeaux; Brest; Chambery ; Limoges; La Rochelle; Nice; Orly; Perpignan; Rennes; Belfast; Glasgow; Guernsey; Jersey; Isle of Man; Inverness; Leeds Bradford
http://www.flybe.com/news/1007/13.htm
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
In fact AF has a previous history of cooperation with FlyBE which was called at that time British European and even before Jersey European. But it was not a code-share agreement but a franchise agreement. They were operating some current CityJet routes like CDG-EDI, CDG-BHX, etc, purely under AF codes. Already BAe146 as for CityJet
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:26 am

It'll be interesting to see some of the logistics of this new arrangement. For example, FlyBe charges for baggage, and for choosing one's own seat. How will this work for AF codeshares?

Also, I'd be a bit reluctant to rely on BE-operated flights for connections. Their reliability/punctuality record is dreadful (we don't call them "Flymaybe" for nothing!). I travel from SOU on a fairly regular basis (miles from home, but the only place with direct flights to Alderney), and I don't think I've ever been at SOU for more than a few minutes without hearing the words "Flybe regret to announce...." following by details of a (long) delay or cancellation.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
It'll be interesting to see some of the logistics of this new arrangement. For example, FlyBe charges for baggage, and for choosing one's own seat. How will this work for AF codeshares?

Also, I'd be a bit reluctant to rely on BE-operated flights for connections. Their reliability/punctuality record is dreadful (we don't call them "Flymaybe" for nothing!). I travel from SOU on a fairly regular basis (miles from home, but the only place with direct flights to Alderney), and I don't think I've ever been at SOU for more than a few minutes without hearing the words "Flybe regret to announce...." following by details of a (long) delay or cancellation.
and you can buy one way tickets with FlyBe

they both have a lot of flights in between, say, MAN-CDG, will they compete with eachother or will the competition be eliminated
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:51 am

Actually, FlyBe online timetable shows one direct flight per day each way GLA-CDG...
GLA-CDG:
BE1431 07:00 11:25 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 26-Jun-10 - 30-Oct-10
BE1431 07:05 11:25 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 01-Jan-11 - 26-Mar-11
BE1431 07:05 11:25 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 06-Nov-10 - 18-Dec-10
BE1435 14:05 18:25 M T W T F .. Su 1 - 06-Jan-11 - 25-Mar-11
BE1435 14:05 18:25 M T W T F .. Su 1 - 21-Jun-10 - 23-Dec-10
BE1435 14:05 18:25 M T W T .... Su 1 - 26-Dec-10 - 04-Jan-11

CDG-GLA:
BE1432 11:55 14:25 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 01-Jan-11 - 26-Mar-11
BE1432 11:55 14:20 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 26-Jun-10 - 30-Oct-10
BE1432 11:55 14:25 .. .. .. .. .. Sa .. 1 - 06-Nov-10 - 18-Dec-10
BE1436 18:55 21:25 M T W T .... Su 1 - 26-Dec-10 - 04-Jan-11
BE1436 18:55 21:15 M T W T F .. Su 1 - 21-Jun-10 - 29-Oct-10
BE1436 18:55 21:25 M T W T F .. Su 1 - 06-Jan-11 - 25-Mar-11
BE1436 18:55 21:25 M T W T F .. Su 1 - 31-Oct-10 - 23-Dec-10
-- Henry
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:10 am

All those 1's after the day of the week of operation signify the number of stops.
Think it's Cardiff on the way from GLA-CDG.

The BE website is awful.
The booking engine is passenger unfriendly. Misleading initial fares then they want passenger details before they try and flog you a seat reservation and check baggage in both for additional charges.

I dislike BE as much as AF.

Last edited by kmck; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:37 am

All those 1's after the day of the week of operation signify the number of stops.
Think it's Cardiff on the way from GLA-CDG.
Well spotted! I didn't get that - but when you go to the interactive route map, there is certainly a strong suggestion that GLA-CDG is a direct route!

The BE website is awful.
The booking engine is passenger unfriendly.
Yep! Absolutely agree.

Misleading initial fares then they want passenger details before they try and flog you a seat reservation and check baggage in both for additional charges.
I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply!

I dislike BE as much as AF.

-- Henry
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
....check-in and lounge access, etc....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.