Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:17 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Good that it is documented here and great changes, but in practice not always being followed. July 31st AC127 YYZ-YEG no cookies; I believe it was salad and dessert on plate (cheese cake). No pre-departure beverage. Done a few domestic/transborder flights up front and have yet to see a menu.
Menus, cookies and ice cream on YEG and YYC stared Aug 1.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josh_saunders
Andrew, any plans to do this for International J class as well. I know there has been recent changes earlier in the year. Was the international product changed as of 1 July as well?
International J meals being reviewed at the moment, you guys can look forward to a relaunch in the fall.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Agree. BGI-YYZ is 5:45 gate-to-gate. I flew this route approx two weeks ago and there were no predeparture beverages.

Yesterday, AC943 BDA-YYZ:
  • no predeparture drinks
  • all meals were served before beverages were offered to any PAX. (Because there was only one F/A working the front cabin?) If you were seated in the first two rows, as I was, you would have been finished the meal before wine or water was offered.
  • salmon, same meal as I experienced BGI-YYZ, was cold in the centre. Sorry to disappoint Ken, but I don't think this was a trial run of a new cold plate. The other choice was chicken with cherry sauce. I didn't risk it.
Thanks for the feedback, keep them coming as we're commited to improving consistency all across.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vaclav
Andrew, thanks for the summary.

1) AC flights to BGI - the flight is long. It could be considered AC signature Caribbean flight. Wouldn't it be possible to classify it as 'extra long haul'?
We need to work on this as some of the Caribbean flights are double catered so galley space is an issue to do the full 3 step ultra long haul service.

2) Is it the time to consider bringing back the sparkling wine? There are so many choices on the market that would not break the AC bank.
Will discuss with our catering team on this.

3) Since AC seems to be headed in the right direction regarding NA F&B service, as the next step, could you improve the quality and visual appeal of what is offered as salads and main courses?
Stay tuned!

4) Presentation - since you are trying to make a significant improvement, can you retrain the FAs in some aspects of communication with pax? "Beef or chicken" does not cut it for me in J.
That is on my agenda so thanks for bringing that up.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Vaclav
... can you retrain the FAs in some aspects of communication with pax? "Beef or chicken" does not cut it for me in J.

+1

Worse still is the "Chicken or pasta?" question. I always have to ask, what kind of pasta? How is it prepared?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Worse still is the "Chicken or pasta?" question. I always have to ask, what kind of pasta? How is it prepared?
As menus are now available on all North America flights where there is a choice of meals, you will be able to see the full detailed description of the service/meals on there so you won't have the same problem again.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Andrew...

Is YYZ - LAS - YYZ long or extra long haul?

It seems flying times are 4:36 there and 4:05 returning.

Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
As menus are now available on all North America flights where there is a choice of meals, you will be able to see the full detailed description of the service/meals on there so you won't have the same problem again.
Andrew -- the menus are available where? On ac.com, in enRoute, in the seat pocket? Perhaps it hasn't started yet because I have not seen menus on my recent BGI-YYZ and BDA-YYZ flights.
--
13F
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Had a nice chicken and mash dinner/lunch on the flight to YEG yesterday. Food was quite flavourful. FAs were very attentive and took orders by elite status, so Stinger beat me out as the only other SE in the cabin, and no Es as she then went up and down taking orders from everyone else (lots of opups but not complaining...why shouldn't the rabble get a taste of the good life!). I think the chardonnay was Inniskillin and I had a Volpolacella as the red, both quite good.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Andrew -- the menus are available where? On ac.com, in enRoute, in the seat pocket? Perhaps it hasn't started yet because I have not seen menus on my recent BGI-YYZ and BDA-YYZ flights.
--
13F
Menus are handed out by flight attendants; this started on Aug 1.

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I too would like to add encouragement for the return of...

...sparkling wine. Lots of decent CND, NZ and SA products available that wont break the bank. Just one comment on the cheesecake...it gave me flashbacks of sara lee when I was a kid...yikes!
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yukonprince
Andrew...

Is YYZ - LAS - YYZ long or extra long haul?

It seems flying times are 4:36 there and 4:05 returning.

Thanks
LAS is considered as long haul.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Menus are handed out by flight attendants; this started on Aug 1.
This has not been my experience, although it is based on a sample size of one (BDA-YYZ 5-Aug). My BGI-YYZ flight was in July.
--
13F
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
On those flights where a second meal service would almost be justified, offering something better than just peanuts would be quite nice in J.

For example, I flew YUL-MEX last month and the hot breakfast after the 8AM departure was nice, but by the time we arrived in MEX at 1:20PM (YUL time) my wife and I were litterally starving. Just a small en-cas like a cheese plate served around noon would have made a big difference.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
We need to work on this as some of the Caribbean flights are double catered so galley space is an issue to do the full 3 step ultra long haul service.
Andrew, perhaps one way of solving the issue of space on the double-catered flights is to remove the duty free items. From what I saw (BGI-YYZ), there is not much available (due to space again) and for those who wish to buy hard liquor, it seems to be cheaper in the Caribbean anyway (at least in BGI).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.