Wiki Posts
Search

New US transit procedures for YVR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:45 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

New US transit procedures for YVR

With the opening of the new C-Pier at YVR yesterday, a great change also came into place.

For those passengers who are connecting to the US, you no longer have to pick your bags up to clear US Customs/Immigration as long as you have your connecting boarding pass and your bags are tagged all the way to your final destination.

^
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Great to hear! As always, thanks for passing on the info.

Although this might be more for the airport, or CBP, I have a question that maybe you know the answer to.

Why is this not possible at YYZ. What is different about the airports and the systems that this would not be done at YYZ too?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the update Andrew. Will we still have to reclear security? Since I never check a bag, this is more of a concern to me.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:06 am

Please, please, please let this come to YYZ...
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Golden Toque

Why is this not possible at YYZ. What is different about the airports and the systems that this would not be done at YYZ too?
YYZ does not have the facilities/system to allow quick retrieval of checked luggage if US Customs wants to inspect a traveller's luggage. Under the old infrastructure, locating and transporting a bag up to the departures level would have made this too time-consuming, both for the airline and CPB.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
Originally Posted by speaker
YYZ does not have the facilities/system to allow quick retrieval of checked luggage if US Customs wants to inspect a traveller's luggage. Under the old infrastructure, locating and transporting a bag up to the departures level would have made this too time-consuming, both for the airline and CPB.
You mean while spending billions on the Malton Mausoleum, the GTAA didn't plan for this?!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So this means if I get off my flight from YYZ (or other points east of YVR) and am heading to SEA or PDX (or other US destination), I just need to go through the immigration pre-clearance and never see my bag until I arrive at my final US destination (assuming it doesn't get lost)? Do we still have access to a fast-track route or do we now join YVR-originating passengers for pre-clearance?

Decided to check the YVR web site to see what it says, and this is not good. Seems there is no more fast-track airside path and we must join the hordes starting their journeys at YVR. This is not good, nor an improvement:

Connecting from Canadian Arrivals to U.S.A. Departures

Option 1:
If you have baggage tags and a boarding card for your U.S.A. connection,
Follow the U.S.A Baggage Claim/Departures signs to the U.S.A. Departures area, Departures Level 3, (Do not go to the Canada Domestic baggage claim. and proceed through the designated opening through the Duty Free store into the U.S. Immigration Preliminary Inspection Line.
Upon clearing U.S. Immigration, proceed to the U.S.A. Baggage Claim to retrieve your baggage. With your baggage, proceed through U.S. Customs.
After U.S. Customs, drop off baggage at the baggage belt and proceed through Passenger Pre-Board Screening. Be aware that once you have checked in, you will not be able to return to the public areas of the International Terminal.

You will be exempt from the Airport Improvement Fee if you are making a connection less than 4 hours after arrival at the Airport.

Option 2:
If you do not possess a Boarding Card for your next flight,
Follow the Canada Arrivals signs to Domestic Arrivals Level 2 of the Domestic Terminal, where the baggage carousels are located.
To determine which carousel contains the baggage from your flight, check the baggage information display screens that are located on each carousel.
After retrieving your baggage, follow the U.S.A. Departures signs on Departures Level 3 to the U.S.A. check-in area in the International Terminal.
Use the screens above the check-in counters to determine where your airline is checking in. Once you have checked in, you will not be able to return to the public areas of the International Terminal.
Proceed through the Duty Free store to the U.S. Customs and Immigration Preliminary Inspection Line.
Note: You are considered a domestic U.S. passenger once in the gate area, eliminating these procedures upon your arrival in the U.S. Any Duty Free purchases must be made prior to U.S. Customs.

Once through U.S. Customs, drop off your baggage and enter the U.S.A. security checkpoint.
Proceed through security to your designated U.S.A. departure gate.

You will be exempt from the Airport Improvement Fee if you are making a connection less than 4 hours after arrival at the Airport.

Last edited by Shareholder; Jul 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
So this means if I get off my flight from YYZ (or other points east of YVR) and am heading to SEA or PDX (or other US destination), I just need to go through the immigration pre-clearance and never see my bag until I arrive at my final US destination (assuming it doesn't get lost)? Do we still have access to a fast-track route or do we now join YVR-originating passengers for pre-clearance?

Decided to check the YVR web site to see what it says, and this is not good. Seems there is no more fast-track airside path and we must join the hordes starting their journeys at YVR. This is not good, nor an improvement:

Connecting from Canadian Arrivals to U.S.A. Departures

Option 1:
If you have baggage tags and a boarding card for your U.S.A. connection,
Follow the U.S.A Baggage Claim/Departures signs to the U.S.A. Departures area, Departures Level 3, (Do not go to the Canada Domestic baggage claim. and proceed through the designated opening through the Duty Free store into the U.S. Immigration Preliminary Inspection Line.
Upon clearing U.S. Immigration, proceed to the U.S.A. Baggage Claim to retrieve your baggage. With your baggage, proceed through U.S. Customs.
After U.S. Customs, drop off baggage at the baggage belt and proceed through Passenger Pre-Board Screening. Be aware that once you have checked in, you will not be able to return to the public areas of the International Terminal.

Option 2:
If you do not possess a Boarding Card for your next flight,
Follow the Canada Arrivals signs to Domestic Arrivals Level 2 of the Domestic Terminal, where the baggage carousels are located.
To determine which carousel contains the baggage from your flight, check the baggage information display screens that are located on each carousel.
After retrieving your baggage, follow the U.S.A. Departures signs on Departures Level 3 to the U.S.A. check-in area in the International Terminal.
Use the screens above the check-in counters to determine where your airline is checking in. Once you have checked in, you will not be able to return to the public areas of the International Terminal.
Proceed through the Duty Free store to the U.S. Customs and Immigration Preliminary Inspection Line.
Note: You are considered a domestic U.S. passenger once in the gate area, eliminating these procedures upon your arrival in the U.S. Any Duty Free purchases must be made prior to U.S. Customs.

Once through U.S. Customs, drop off your baggage and enter the U.S.A. security checkpoint.
Proceed through security to your designated U.S.A. departure gate.

This is out of date:
There are 2 DF stores post-Customs in the gate areas (one across from the absolute spa, near gate 85)

YVR is implementing "Security in advance of pre-clearance" and so bags will eventually be checked-in prior to going through CATSA and CPB

Last edited by speaker; Jul 10, 2009 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I can't imagine that U.S. CBP would let you take checked bags without them inspecting it. Or do they now do it out of sight (of you)?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I can't imagine that U.S. CBP would let you take checked bags without them inspecting it. Or do they now do it out of sight (of you)?
THey already do:

http://yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/

Cruise Ship On-Board Check-in Program

Vancouver International Airport, in partnership with participating cruise ship companies and airlines, offers on-board check-in for eligible cruise ship passengers.

Eligible passengers who choose to participate in Onboard check-in AND who have a cruiseline issued bus transfer are able to benefit from an agreement with Canadian and US Government Agencies, whereby they will be transferred direct from their ship to their gate "in-transit" with our new US Direct program.

How does the 'On Board Check-in' Program Work?
Who's Eligible?
Participating Cruise Lines and Airlines
How does the 'On Board Check-in' Program Work?
This program is designed to speed up the airline check-in process for U.S.-bound cruise ship passengers and their baggage. Eligible passengers check-in for their flight on board their ship, rather than at Vancouver International Airport.

Prior to disembarking from their cruise ship, eligible passengers each receive an airline boarding pass, as well as a "Pink Card" that allows customer service staff to easily identify them at the airport. Baggage is transported directly to the airport for loading onto the aircraft, which means that passengers do not have to handle their baggage until they arrive at their final destination in the United States.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
THey already do:

http://yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/[INDENT]
Cruise Ship On-Board Check-in Program
That one, the ships generally have arrived from Alaska so the pax are essentially sterile transferred from ship (which left from the U.S.) to pre-clearance area. I can't imagine this would work for a cruise ship that came in, say from Mexico or Asia (not that any do). Let alone someone from anywhere in Canada (or elsewhere in the world) getting their checked bags into the U.S. w/o inspection by CBP.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
They do it at YOW. You put your bag on the belt, walk 10 metres, go through security, then walk 10 more metres to CBP before heading to the gate.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: On Sabbatical, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by guessaaa
They do it at YOW. You put your bag on the belt, walk 10 metres, go through security, then walk 10 more metres to CBP before heading to the gate.
Born and raised in YOW, I can vouch for this. The only time I carry my Pelican case full of tools/bits is when I go directly into the states via YOW - its not worth the "Whats that?" question everywhere else. Sure, if they wanted to do a search, they could call the bags back up - but me not dragging it behind me makes that a hell of a lot less likely.

Not that I'm doing anything illegal when I do - its just that good old US CBP is convinced that I want to illegally stay in the Most Wonderful, Perfect Country in the World (tm) the US of A - despite me getting my ... out ASAP every time I finish a job.

Oh, the arrogance...

Anyhow, yeah, I hope this becomes the norm, but I think YYZT1 is kind of set the way it is till the end of (our) time...
Old Jul 10, 2009, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
This is out of date:
There are 2 DF stores post-Customs in the gate areas (one across from the absolute spa, near gate 85)

YVR is implementing "Security in advance of pre-clearance" and so bags will eventually be checked-in prior to going through CATSA and CPB
Now I am really confused.

That's even more out of date than you suggest as I have always had a fast-track Domestic-TransBorder transfer at YVR where we are directed airside to a special set of immigration officers, clear them and wait for our bags on the carousel, then head through to join the rest of the local originating passengers to put our bags back on the belt, then clear security.

So is this route still available, save for having to wait for the checked bags which now go automatically onto the plane?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Now I am really confused.

That's even more out of date than you suggest as I have always had a fast-track Domestic-TransBorder transfer at YVR where we are directed airside to a special set of immigration officers, clear them and wait for our bags on the carousel, then head through to join the rest of the local originating passengers to put our bags back on the belt, then clear security.

So is this route still available, save for having to wait for the checked bags which now go automatically onto the plane?
Speaking as a pax, I don't think you follow that route exactly any more... When I flew down to LAX this past Sunday, we went the way you described, but when I flew home this past Wednesday we parked at C50 so I ended up walking over the bag carousel area and it was all closed off.

What I couldn't see was if you still clear customs at that special set of officers, or if you go somewhere else altogether. I'll have to do a Can-USA-Can roundtrip to find out exactly what the procedure is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.