FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Confusion about Air Canada sports equipment checked baggage policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/906626-confusion-about-air-canada-sports-equipment-checked-baggage-policy.html)

trilinearmipmap Jan 5, 2009 10:09 pm

Confusion about Air Canada sports equipment checked baggage policy

I'm flying domestically on Air Canada on a Whistler ski trip.

I pre-registered a pair of skis on the website when I bought my ticket.

The skis/ski boots policy on the website is confusing and contradictory.

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...quipement.html

At the beginning of the web page, it seems to say that a pair of ski boots can be brought along with a pair of skis, and together they count as one pair of luggage.

Excess baggage fee waiver applies to pre-registered:

* hockey bags (containing hockey equipment) - Oversize fee waived
* hockey sticks - Oversize fee waived
* skis and snowboard - Oversize fee waived
* ski and snow boots (when items are carried along with skis or snowboard) - Excess piece fee waived

However, toward the bottom of the web page, it states that a pair of ski boots and a pair of skis each count as a separate piece of checked luggage.

Each of the following is considered an individual item when packed separately: one pair of skis* (snow or water), one snowboard*, one set of poles, one pair of boots*, one pair of skates, or a single slalom.
I would like to bring my ski boots in their ski boot carrier (a piece of luggage from MEC designed to carry ski boots) but if they are going to charge me for an extra piece of luggage then I'll have to cram the ski boots into a duffel bag along with all my clothing etc.

Can anyone who has checked skis and ski boots on Air Canada please clarify this for me?

bestof2k9 Jan 5, 2009 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 11018990)
I'm flying domestically on Air Canada on a Whistler ski trip.

I pre-registered a pair of skis on the website when I bought my ticket.

The skis/ski boots policy on the website is confusing and contradictory.

At the beginning of the web page, it seems to say that a pair of ski boots can be brought along with a pair of skis, and together they count as one pair of luggage.

However, toward the bottom of the web page, it states that a pair of ski boots and a pair of skis each count as a separate piece of checked luggage.

I would like to bring my ski boots in their ski boot carrier (a piece of luggage from MEC designed to carry ski boots) but if they are going to charge me for an extra piece of luggage then I'll have to cram the ski boots into a duffel bag along with all my clothing etc.

Can anyone who has checked skis and ski boots on Air Canada please clarify this for me?

They say that if the boots and ski's are checked separatly they count as two pieces of luggage, which means you have to either a) put them together in a bag or b) put your boots in your regular luggage.

Cheers

klparrot Jan 6, 2009 2:50 am

I wonder if anyone does check skis and boots in the same bag? Do they actually make bags that hold both? It sounds like it would be very awkward.

It may be that the ski boots count as another piece of luggage but that the fee is waived.

You might want to just call Air Canada and ask, so that if they say it's free, you'll be in a stronger position to argue it if at the airport they try to charge you.

kokinos Jan 6, 2009 9:51 am

Get a ski bag that also fits ski boots, it just makes life easier even once it comes off the plane.

californiadreamin' Jan 7, 2009 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 11018990)
... The skis/ski boots policy on the website is confusing and contradictory.

There is no contradiction, follow the asterisks:
Your top excerpt addresses waivers (for oversize or excess pieces) if you register your sporting goods. The lower excerpt simply explains that each checked item requires a bagtag and therefore counts as one piece.

Altaflyer Jan 7, 2009 8:59 pm

Westjet does not require you register such equipment and allows you to check skis, poles and boots as one piece of luggage. My boot bag is seperate from my ski bag and in the past it has never been a problem even if multiple bag tags were used (prior to AC policy change). Westjet details:

Skis, Snowboards, Fishing rods and Golf clubs.

* One set will be accepted per guest, and the oversized fee will be waived, however the overweight or extra piece fee will be charged if applicable.
* A set is considered to be:
o Skis, boots and poles, or
o Snowboards and boots, or
o Water skis (up to two) or
o One fishing rod and a tackle box or
o One golf bag, holding clubs, shoes and balls.

Simple and customer friendly.

billybob123 Jan 7, 2009 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 11032519)
Westjet

Simple and customer friendly.

Indeed. Their bicycle policy is also good - AC charged me $50 after "pre-registration". WS was free for the same bike. This may have changed recently - but certainly a lot easier on WS.

Jorgen Dec 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm also confused about Air Canada policies regarding skis.

Firstly, the AC site says "Skis and poles, snowboard or wakeboard must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping". But the vast majority of ski bags I've seen for sale (I don't own one yet) are padded rather than rigid. Will they have a problem if I show up with a padded, non-rigid ski bag?

Secondly, what's this I hear about needing to pre-register ski equipment? I'm looking to book as a United codeshare on AC metal (ZRH-YYZ-SFO), so how would I pre-register?

From what I've read in this thread, pre-registration only matters if you want to count your boots and skis as one "piece" of luggage. So if I'm *A Gold and getting three checked bags for free, I can just show up un-pre-registered with one ski bag, one boot bag, and one other bag, and check 'em all for free, right?

Thanks.

WR Cage Dec 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen (Post 17634200)
Firstly, the AC site says "Skis and poles, snowboard or wakeboard must be packaged in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping". But the vast majority of ski bags I've seen for sale (I don't own one yet) are padded rather than rigid. Will they have a problem if I show up with a padded, non-rigid ski bag?

This is a limitation of liability requirement. AC is recommending that you purchase a rigid container for your ski equipment. If the skis become damaged, this advisory will be used as reference to deny any damage claim.
That said, so long as you’re willing to take the risk of damage to the skis, AC will allow for them onboard.

Secondly, what's this I hear about needing to pre-register ski equipment? I'm looking to book as a United codeshare on AC metal (ZRH-YYZ-SFO), so how would I pre-register?

Contact AC reservations to get the ski equipment pre-registered. Alternately get the AC PNR from United Airlines assume this is booked on 016 ticket stock and then either attempt an online pre-registration or contact AC reservations to get the pre-registration done.

From what I've read in this thread, pre-registration only matters if you want to count your boots and skis as one "piece" of luggage. So if I'm *A Gold and getting three checked bags for free, I can just show up un-pre-registered with one ski bag, one boot bag, and one other bag, and check 'em all for free, right?

Failure to complete pre-registration will result in excess bag charges. While you have three piece limit from *G status, the sports equipment is in a separate class of bags and subject to excess charges (weight and or size of bag is nonconforming).
Skis and boots count as one piece of luggage (even if two physically separate pieces provided that they are the only bag contents. If you have other contents in the boot bag (e.g. snow pants, mitts, gloves, other clothes) the boot bag is separate and subject to excess bag fees (that said the boot bag would then be counted towards your 3 bag free limit).

Jorgen Dec 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks very much for your informative answer YEG Guy, that's all I needed to know. :)