Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: marchelli
Created 23 Oct 2019 by marchelli

The intent of this wiki is to pull together the various AC FT Forum specific acronyms and lingo. It is by no means a comprehensive list and as with the usage of the English language, is subject to further refinement and evolution. If you do not see the term you are looking for listed in the list below, it may be listed in the general FlyerTalk glossary here. If it is listed in neither of those places, feel free to post below and someone will clarify for you.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

*A

Star Alliance

*G

Star Alliance Gold status level

3-2-1

Refers to the access code necessary to reset the lie-flat business class seats - an action necessary due to the seat deflation problem.
  • Can be a verb: "I had to 3-2-1 the J pod seat because it was deflated again."
  • Can be a noun: "The SD did the 3-2-1 because she claimed it's a safety risk if a pax does it."
  • The deflated seats are courtesy of AC. The noun and verb courtesy of 24left.

AC

Air Canada, Do NOT put a stroke between the A and the C of AC ('Air Canada'). Certain people have an infuriating habit of doing this and it causes nervous blinking-related strain of the eyes to all those accustomed to the established usage (AC = 'Air Canada'; a/c = 'aircraft'). On AA threads, AC is used to refer to the AA Admiral’s Club.

AC Metal

Flights operated on Air Canada aircraft, not a codeshare operated by another carrier

AC.com

www.aircanada.com

ACFO

Air Canada First Officer

AFD!

Another Fine Debacle !

AIF

Airport Improvement Fee

AP

Aeroplan

AP Miles

Regular AeroPlan frequent flyer miles

AP.com

www.aeroplan.com

AQD

Altitude Qualifying Dollars – Money spend on Air Canada Flights flown on Air Canada aircraft which count towards Altitude Status.

AQM

Altitude Qualifying Miles – Miles accrued via flying on Air Canada and Star Alliance flights which count towards Altitude Status. Miles accrued depend on which branded fare class was booked.

AQS

Altitude Qualifying Segments – Segments which count towards Altitude Status. Flyers earn one segment for each flight they complete when they book a standard branded fare or higher.

BoB

Buy-on-board in Y class

Booking classes

For detailed definitions of J/C/Z/I/Y/M/U/B/H/V/Q/L/A/S/R/N/G/P/E/T, see
Branded Fares; AC changes booking classes/fare classes for Tango & Flex

Other terminology related to booking class:

Current Terms

BA: Basic Fare – Cheap bare bones fare where you basically have to pay for everything except a carry on. (BA is also short for British Airways)

TG: Standard Fare – Cheap economy fare.

FL: Economy with 100% AQM

CO: Economy with an alcoholic beverage and preferred seat selection.

Lat: Flexible economy fare

Y: Used generically to mean economy class service. Y is also the booking class for the most flexible and refundable economy class booking. To distinguish "Y" (the class of service) from "Y" (the flexible booking class) people tend to write in the latter case "full Y" or "fully flexible Y" or "on a Y fare".

PY or PE: Premium Economy

J : used generically to mean business class service and the fully flexible booking class called "J". When people say they are "in J" it is referring to the class of service. If they say "full J" they mean they bought the most expensive and flexible booking class available on AC.

F: First class. AC does not offer an F cabin. Either someone is flying F on another carrier, or someone accustomed to USA airline lingo is posting in this forum and mistakenly uses F to refer to the NA J cabin on AC. It is accepted practice to tell them immediately that there is no F on AC, only J.

Previous Terms

T: Tango (NA cheap economy)

T+: Tango Plus (NA less cheap economy)

Tourist: Int'l cheap economy

Leisure: Int'l less cheap economy

Lat+: Latitude Plus (Int'l flexible economy)

Exec: Previous term for J class

SJ: Executive First (AC-speak used rarely on FT)

J: Executive Class (in NA)

J: Executive First (aka international Business Class)

Bump

someone has put in a post to move the thread back to the top of the list, usually as a reminder

Certs

Upgrade certificates or coupons

Concierge:

A service available to SEs and Exec First pax

COS

Class of service bonus

Cowculator

EWY 2019, Computer algorithm developed by canadiancow to calculate the number of wings earned on a specific itinerary for EYW 2019

Cowgorithm

EYW 2019, courtesy of @canadiancow

Cowtool

Web tool developed by canadiancow to view PNR information. More information can be found here

Deflategate

Deflategate is the saga round executive pods deflating, see Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

DHP

Designated High Profile

DO

At least from the British slang, a "do" is not an acronym. A do is a party or an event, a get together.

DYKIWATA

Don't You Know I Work At The Airport. Used to describe an employee who displays DYKWIA attutides because they clearly must know more than a novice (or expert) flyer by virtue of simply working in the envionment. Usually used to provide an example where they clearly are lacking information/education of an issue. Phenomenon first documented and defined by canadiancow and first written as an acronym by Adam Smith here.

E or AC*E

Air Canada Elite top tier member. Members who qualify at 50K or above are known across the *A network as Star Alliance Gold Memebers (*G). The requirements to earn elite status are as follows:

Elite 35K (E35K) = 35K AQM or 35 AQS and 4k AQD

Elite 50K (E50K) = 50k AQM or 50 AQS and 6k AQD

Elite 75K (E75K) = 75k AQM or 75 AQS and 9k AQD

NB: Members with addresses outside Canada, require only 50% of the AQD to earn status.

EF Alert

For those with subscriptions or access to Expert Flyer, you can set all kinds of notification alerts for things like F space for rewards or seat alerts on selected flights, etc.

Enhancement

A reduction in some kind of benefit

FA

Flight attendant

FFKITCAT

Invented by @smallmj. Fare Formerly Known In These Circles As Tango.

FO

First Officer. Second in charge on the plane (behind the captain), the FO is one of the pilots.

FOTSG

Fly Once a Year To See Grandma

GA

Gate agent

Gate Lice

refers to Y travellers who charge the pre-boarding line, and/or Es and SEs who berate the check-in agent for a free OPup.

HIP

higher intermediate point

Hoodie pad

New Signature Service seat cover, courtesy of @yyznomad

IC

The "in-charge" flight attendant

IIRC

If I Recall Correctly

IKK

Instant KK, the ability for SEs to claim any empty seat for award travel; will add link to Instant KK FAQ

IMHO

In My Humble Opinion

Inflatables for AC J

Referring to camping air mattress bought to put on top of a deflated signature class seat for comfort. Part of the Air Canada Camping experience.

IRROPS

Irregular operations due to weather. Leads to cancellations, rebookings, missing luggage etc.

IWATA

JKA

Joke Kick-...

Kettle

See VBIT

KK

See [add link to Instant KK FAQ]

LMU

Last Minute Upgrade. Officially this refers to the last minute offer that AC sometimes makes to passengers, to pay extra for a business class seat. Less formally the term can be used for any type of last minute upgrade.

LMU is a noun and a verb. So you can say "I made an LMU on my flight last week." Or you can say "I LMUed my flight last week". There is a plural and a possessive form. You can say "I make LMUs whenever I fly to LAX" and you can say "Does anyone have the LMU's web page handy?"

Magical Unicorn

that amazing not-quite-natural phenomenon. A Magical Unicorn is recognized by their bellowing call: "Do you know who I am? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" One of the most fearsome displays in nature is a battle between a Magical Unicorn. Unless of course you happen to be a magical unicorn, in which case you are free to gallop around the lounge looking for insufficiently obsequious staff to gore

"When I enter an airport I expect to be treated like a Magical Unicorn. MY time is worth $500/hr. My bags are filled with unimaginable riches. Should

MBHFGSBSOCAD

My bum hurts from getting SE by segments on CRJs and Dash 8s.

MCO

Miscellaneous Charges Order

MFU

Miles for upgrade.

Mileage Run

Flights undertaken to obtain frequent flyer miles, usually to meet the EQM threshhold for their desired level of status

MLL

Maple Leaf Lounge

MM or AC*MM

Frequent flyers who have flown at least 1 million miles with AC.

1 MM = Lifetime E50K Status

2 MM = Lifetime E75K Status

3 MM = Lifetime SE100K Status

Can be combined with current status, e.g. SE*MM or SEMM for an SE who has achieved 1MM status.

MOLA

Mistaken or Lying Agent

MPM

Maximum Permitted Mileage

MR

Mileage run, or flights undertaken to obtain frequent flyer miles, usually to meet the status mile threshhold for their desired level of status.

NA

North America (US and Canada)

NAU

North America upgrade certificate

No Go (fare brand code)

Invented by @canopus27, as a play on the "Tango" fare brand. "NoGo” fares are designed for those who really want to save money. You don't even have to spend money on a hotel room, because you will be staying at home. No, they don't count for any AQM."

OLCI

Online check-in

Ooh Aar

the sound made by a Dummy on encountering a FT Acronym or Term.

OP

Original post, or original poster

OPUp

Operational upgrade. A courtesy upgrade requiring no upgrade certificates

OPM

Other People’s Money – a reference to a person’s airfare being bought using money other than their own personal money.

OTP

On Time Performance

P or AC*P

Air Canada Prestige 25K level member. Also termed as P25K. The requirements to reach P25k are 25k AQM or 25 AQS and 3k AQD.

NB: Members with addresses outside Canada, require only 50% of the AQD to earn status.

Pancake seats

Referring to deflated Signature Class Seats

R Games

refers to AC zeroing out R class just before the upgrade windows opens, or even much before that. That way persons purchasing Y/B fares cannot take advantage of the "upgrade any time" prerogative of those fares, and all upgrades occur at the gate.

That way persons purchasing Y/B fares cannot take advantage of the " upgrade any time" prerogative of those fares, and all upgrades occur at the gate.

RCHHMP

Royal Canadian High Horse Mounted Police

Overview

This term refers primarily to a poster who posts in the Air Canada / Aeroplan Forum on FlyerTalk. The term is a play on the term Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the federal and national police force of Canada. This term RCHHMP refers to a poster, referred hereinafter as "RCHHMP Constable", whose majority of posts are pretentious and attempt to paint themselves in a superior and self-righteous light (hence, "High Horse" and their "morality policing" of others) over others by indirectly generalizing, belittling, shaming, berating, admonishing, or insulting another poster and/or their posts or actions and offer very little with respect to actual contributory or helpful Air Canada / Aeroplan specific information to others.

Predemoninant Characteristics of an RCHHMP Constable

The below encompasses the behaviour, traits, and tendencies of a bona fide RCHHMP Constable. Typically, there is some history involved with this style of posting. Please note that one or few exhibited trait(s) within a one-off post, does not necessarily make one an RCHHMP Constable, but could be deemed as an RCHHMP-style post. It is the repetitive nature of these traits over time that constitutes a poster to be an RCHHMP Constable, or a member of the RCHHMP.

• Non-contributory Posting / Lack of Relevant Posts

A trait of the RCHHMP Constable is that the majority of their posts provide little to no actual information or assistance specific to Air Canada or Aeroplan, travel on Air Canada, their operations, their products, personnel/employees, fare classes, upgrading, seats, in-flight service, Air Canada status, etc. They often exhibit limited to no experience flying on Air Canada, and often have no status with Air Canada, however a small percentage may occasionally fly AC (any cabin), as well as have status.

• Militant Morality Police Meta-posting

Often, without provocation, the RCHHMP Constable shames a poster for their innocuous comments, actions, behaviour, actions, etc. The RCHHMP Constable often "wags their finger" at a poster who complains about something that the RCHHMP Constable deems as insignificant and as a First World Problem (FWP), despite this being FlyerTalk, a forum open for discussion regarding the minutae of all things travel. The RCHHMP Constable often attacks a poster and/or the content of another poster's post with attacks relating to what the RCHHMP Constable deems as moral and/or social code/ethics violations by the poster, with tactics such as shaming, rather than providing actual contributory information especially when the poster has a question or problem. Meta-posting responses can also be in the guise of a generalized, unprovoked comment such as "I feel sorry for you for not having a life due to traveling so much and you must be unhealthy and fat OMG your life is so boring.", despite not personally knowing the poster.

• Non-status Boasting

The RCHHMP Constable often shames others (typically with overarching generalizations and self-righteous overtones) with status by touting their own lack of status and portraying themselves as a superior human being through "I have a better life because those with status obviously have no life" or "being unshackled and free" or "I pity all of you who strive for status" type of remarks.

• Non Sequitur Arguments

During the course of a debate or argument, the RCHHMP Constable introduces immaterial elements to further muddle and deceptively bolster their own arguments, or by "moving the goal posts" to make other posters' arguments seem immaterial. It is often futile to continue arguments/debate with an RCHHMP Constable as they tend to use attrition tactics via such arguments, as well as the below mentioned Ad hominem attacks.

• Ad hominem

The RCHHMP Constable attacks the character, behaviour, and/or post content of a poster, while in the midst of a debate/argument, and often without any provocation whatsoever (i.e. there was no debate or argument at play). This is often done within the parameters of the FT TOC, resulting in implicit attacks.. This can also be associated with the Non Sequitur Arguments trait.

Rogue

A clumsy play on words premised on the brand of "Rouge" being an anagram for the term referring to dishonest person, knave, scoundrel. Rouge Y seats are tight. The joke is played. Let's move on.

RTW

Round The World

Rouged

A verb. Used when you booked an AC ML (mainline) flight but discovered the route and/or aircraft was swapped to a rouge one, sometimes without AC telling you

SD Shrug

When your AC business class seat deflates and you tell the SD and they don't care, you get the SD shrug.
When you ask the SD for an item from the galley or snack basket, and the SD tells you catering didn't load any, you may also receive the bonus SD shrug.

SE or AC*SE

Air Canada Super Elite top tier member. Also termed as SE100K & S100K. The requirements to reach SE100k are, 100k AQM or 95 AQS and 20k AQD.

SM or QM

Status miles or Qualifying miles (for status)

SSWU

special system wide upgrade certificate

Status Miles

Status miles or Qualifying miles (for status)

Stay-flats

Referring to deflated Signature Class seats

SWU

system wide upgrade certificate [add link to certificate rules relative to classes]

Tangerine

Holder of an Aeroplan card historically orange in colour rather than the elite colours of Altitude status cards. See also VBIT, FOTSG (except latter used ironically)

TACI

Typical Air Canada Incompetence

TATL

Trans-Atlantic flight

The SE Desk

The people who answer the phone when a SE calls using their priority contact number. Even though AC doesn't actually have a dedicated SE or Elite desk, unlike, say, WS.

TPAC

Trans-Pacific flight

UC

United Club

Various plane classes

For definitions of 77L, 77W, 333, 763, 321, 320, 319, 223, E90, E75, CR9, CRJ, DH4, DH3, and DH1, see http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/

VBIT

Vacation-bound Infrequent Traveller.

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary

YQ

Fuel Surcharge. Frequently also frequently used to refer to "carrier surcharges", which have in many cases replaced "fuel surcharges", even though carrier surcharges are coded as YR

#.park bench

Referring to deflated Signature Class seats.

.#AirCanadaCamping

Another name for Deflategate. Referring to deflated Signature Class seats and the need to use a camping air mattress for assured comfort.

.#Fishgate
Can be a noun: "The SD did the 3-2-1 because she claimed it's a safety risk if a pax does it."
Print Wikipost

FAQ: FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E, Marriott Platinum
Lightbulb FT Acronyms and Terms for Dummies

Hi all,

I'm not sure if such a thread has been started in the past, but being a newbie, I thought a thread to explain all the FT lingo would have been handy to have to get started on FT. One of the mods seems to agree, so I thought I'd get one started. This will be my little contribution to the forum that has renewed my interest in business travel.

I'm willing to organize and categorize the terms but I need your help coming up with the terms and definitions. I want to keep it as clean and simple as possible. I will trim the discussion after a while as the list gets filled out. Terms that are AC specific, as well as FT/industry general jargon are welcomed. If there is a separate list out there somewhere, please let me know and I will cross-reference and only include here any terms that are missing. So this is the proposed format of your submissions:

Term or acronym: Short definition; associated link on FT or elsewhere (if applicable).

Thanks for your contributions and I hope this helps to make FT a little bit easier to use for the uninitiated.

Examples:
  • AC Metal: Flights operated on Air Canada aircraft, not a codeshare operated by another carrier
  • EQM: Elite Qualifying Mile. Also known as status miles in Aeroplan terms
  • MLL: Maple Leaf Lounge
  • Mileage Run: Flights undertaken to obtain frequent flyer miles, usually to meet the EQM threshhold for their desired level of status; http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/
jalin795 likes this.

Last edited by MileageNewb; Dec 15, 2008 at 4:06 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E, Marriott Platinum
[editor's note]This is a WIP . I will clean up the list as time goes on.
Please note that these acronyms may mean different things in different forums, so these are acronym and term definitions as they are used here.
Also note this list does not include airport codes. If you need airport codes, please go here:
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

If I'm missing anything here, it may be in the general glossary. Please see the FT glossary:
http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/

• AC: Air Canada,
  • MR: Mileage run, or flights undertaken to obtain frequent flyer miles, usually to meet the status mile threshhold for their desired level of status.
  • OPUp: Operational upgrade. A courtesy upgrade requiring no upgrade certificates
  • Certs: Upgrade certificates or coupons
  • SM or QM: Status miles or Qualifying miles (for status)
  • AP Miles: Regular AeroPlan frequent flyer miles
  • Status Miles: Aeroplan miles that specifically qualify you for aeroplan status. These can usually only be obtained by taking actual fights or through a status qualification bonus
  • RCC: UA Red Carpet Club
  • *A: Star Alliance
  • *G: Star Alliance Gold status level
  • TATL: - Trans-Atlantic flight
  • TPAC: - Trans-Pacific flight
  • SE or AC*SE: Air Canada Super Elite top tier member
  • E or AC*E: Air Canada Elite top tier member
  • P or AC*P: Air Canada Prestige top tier (chuckles to self!) member
  • SWU system wide upgrade certificate [add link to certificate rules relative to classes]
  • SSWU: special system wide upgrade certificate
  • NAU North America upgrade certificate
  • IKK: Instant KK, the ability for SEs to claim any empty seat for award travel; will add link to Instant KK FAQ
  • KK: See [add link to Instant KK FAQ]
  • COS: Class of service bonus
  • AP: Aeroplan
  • AP.com: www.aeroplan.com
  • AC.com: www.aircanada.com
  • The SE Desk: the people who answer the phone when a SE calls using their priority contact number.
  • MLL: Maple Leaf Lounge
  • OLCI: Online check-in
  • GA: Gate agent
  • FA: Flight attendant
  • IC: The "in-charge" flight attendant
  • BOB: Buy-on-board in Y class
  • IRROPS: Irregular operations due to weather. Leads to cancellations, rebookings, missing luggage etc.
  • OTP: On Time Performance
  • bump: someone has put in a post to move the thread back to the top of the list, usually as a reminder
  • ACFO: Air Canada First Officer
  • VBIT: Vacation-bound Infrequent Traveller.
  • Gate Lice: refers to Y travellers who charge the pre-boarding line, and/or Es and SEs who berate the check-in agent for a free OPup.
  • Concierge: A service available to SEs and Exec First pax.
  • OP: Original post, or original poster
  • MCO: Miscellaneous Charges Order [add link to MCO]
  • LMUP: Last Minute Upgrade Purchases
  • MPM: Maximum Permitted Mileage
  • RTW: Round The World
  • MPM: Your Mileage May Vary
  • YQ: Fuel Surcharge
  • AIF: Airport Improvement Fee

Booking classes:
For detailed definitions of J/C/Z/I/Y/M/U/B/H/V/Q/L/A/S/R/N/G/P/E/T, see [add link to booking class FAQ]
Other terminology related to booking class:
  • T: Tango (NA cheap economy)
  • T+: Tango Plus (NA less cheap economy)
  • Lat: Latitude (NA flexible economy)
  • Tourist: Int'l cheap economy
  • Leisure: Int'l less cheap economy
  • Lat+: Latitude Plus (Int'l flexible economy)
  • Y: Used generically to mean economy class service. Y is also the booking class for the most flexible and refundable economy class booking. To distinguish "Y" (the class of service) from "Y" (the flexible booking class) people tend to write in the latter case "full Y" or "fully flexible Y" or "on a Y fare".
  • J: Executive Class (in NA)
  • J: Executive First (aka international Business Class)
  • Exec: either of the above
  • SJ: Executive First (AC-speak used rarely on FT)
  • J : is also used generically to mean business class service and the fully flexible booking class called "J". When people say they are "in J" it is referring to the class of service. If they say "full J" they mean they bought the most expensive and flexible booking class available on AC.
  • F: First class. AC does not offer an F cabin. Either someone is flying F on another carrier, or someone accustomed to USA airline lingo is posting in this forum and mistakenly uses F to refer to the NA J cabin on AC. It is accepted practice to tell them immediately that there is no F on AC, only J.

Various plane classes:
For definitions of 77L, 77W, 333, 763, 321, 320, 319, E90, E75, CRA, CRJ, DH3, and DH1, see http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/

Last edited by MileageNewb; Jan 12, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
It is a bit hard to step back and think about all the abbreviations we use around this place, Maybe you have noticed a few that you would like explained?
Here are a few more I can think of, just off the top of my head. I will keep these to Ft-related 'talk' as opposed to 'text-talk' such as IIRC ( If I Recall Correctly) or IMHO ( In My Humble Opinion)

MR: Mileage run
OPUp: Operational upgrade. A courtesy upgrade requiring no upgrade certificates
CERTS: Upgrade certificates or coupons
SM or QM: Status miles or Qualifying miles (for status)
AP Miles: Regular AeroPlan miles
Old Dec 15, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by MileageNewb
Terms that are AC specific, as well as FT/industry general jargon are welcomed.
I believe there are some terms that are indigenous to the AC forum, such as :

AFD! - Another Fine Debacle !
TACI - Typical Air Canada Incompetence

&c...

PS. Do NOT put a stroke between the A and the C of AC ('Air Canada'). Certain people have an infuriating habit of doing this and it causes nervous blinking-related strain of the eyes to all those accustomed to the established usage (AC = 'Air Canada'; a/c = 'aircraft').

PPS. Though I do notice that over on the AA forum they seem to use 'the AC' to mean something else again. I take it this is a colloquial American term for a public lavatory of some sort ?

Last edited by nolens volans; Dec 15, 2008 at 6:51 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:34 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by nolens volans
PPS. Though I do notice that over on the AA forum they seem to use 'the AC' to mean something else again. I take it this is a colloquial American term for a public lavatory of some sort ?
In AA lingo, "AC" is their Admirals Club. I'm not sure if it's so bad that it can be called a public lavatory! The RCC on the other hand....
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by benjybl
In AA lingo, "AC" is their Admirals Club.
'Club ?! You don't mean to say it's a club as well ???'

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by benjybl
In AA lingo, "AC" is their Admirals Club. I'm not sure if it's so bad that it can be called a public lavatory! The RCC on the other hand....
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Some more for your collection:
RCC: - UA Red Carpet Club
IKK: - Instant KK, the ability for SEs to claim any empty seat for award travel
*A: - Star Alliance
*G: - Star Alliance Gold status level
TATL: - Trans-Atlantic flight
TPAC: - Trans-Pacific flight
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
If you hover over "Help" and select "Glossary" you will find a large number of these terms suggested in this thread. There is no need to completely reinvent that wheel.

Like FT itself, it is US-centric. It is the result of user input though. After a little while we could submit the terms compiled in this thread to the main FT glossary.

There is also an airport code lookup, so let's not get into airport codes. I will say that for Firefox users there is a neat script that lets you see the airport when you hover over the airport code.

New users might also be confused to see the phrase "I live in YYZ". That doesn't mean I live in the airport itself. On FT we synechdochize airport names to mean city itself (or in the case of YEG, the city 50km away).

Here are some AC-centric abbreviations:

SE or AC*SE - Air Canada Super Elite top tier member
E or AC*E - Air Canada Elite top tier member
P or AC*P - Air Canada Prestige top tier (chuckles to self!) member

The SE Desk - the people who answer the phone when a SE calls using their priority contact number.

The following are described in the upgrade FAQ:
SWU - system wide upgrade certificate (defined generically in glossary)
SSWU - special system wide upgrade certificate
NAU - North America upgrade certificate

The following are described in the Instant KK FAQ:
IKK
KK
Instant KK

COS - Class of service bonus (also Colorado Springs).

AP - Aeroplan
AP.com - www.aeroplan.com
AC.com - www.aircanada.com

For definitions of 77L, 77W, 333, 763, 321, 320, 319, E90, E75, CRA, CRJ, DH3, and DH1, see http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: AC E
Don't forget that sanctuary from the hurly burly of air travel:

MLL - Maple Leaf Lounge
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
OLCI = Online check-in
GA = Gate agent
FA = Flight attendant
the IC = The "in-charge" flight attendant
BOB = Buy-on-board in Y class
IRROPS = Irregular operations due to weather. Leads to cancellations, rebookings, missing luggage etc.
OTP = On Time Performance

Last edited by YVR72; Dec 15, 2008 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E
So when I read a post that says "bump" (often accompanied by some sort of smily icon), what does that mean? I haven't seen it on other forums.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by threepoint
So when I read a post that says "bump" (often accompanied by some sort of smily icon), what does that mean? I haven't seen it on other forums.
It just means that someone has put in a post to move the thread back to the top of the list, usually as a reminder (like for the YYZ Xmas DO).
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan ,Starwood,Priority Club,Amex Platinum,Airmiles,CIBC Gold
Originally Posted by threepoint
It usually means that the post has slipped off the first page and the poster is bumping up to the top so it will be noticed again.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ACFO Air Canada First Officer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.