Wiki Posts
Search

Now its $7?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Now its $7?

Just returned from T.O. after our annual summer vac in Muskoka. (GREAT Weather!) but I was surprised (but not shocked) that alcohol is now $7 in Economy. When did this change? I think they are starting to get near the point of diminishing returns with this price. I cant remember the last time I paid $7 for a domestic beer in a bar or restaurant. The $6 was a tipping point for me. $7 is just too much
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I don´t drink beer myself, don´t drink much hard liquor and I´ve never been too interested in the wines in Y, so I don´t really care personally.

The on-baord cafe offering is one of the few areas AC can very accurately analyue revenues/profts/profit margins etc.

On a recent flight a fellow pax sitting next to me (who more looked like an unpleasant Greyhound pax) ordered four cans of beer at once and then ordered another four cans an hour later, so I guess when it comes to drinking alcohol, many pax lose their price sensitivity.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: FT
Can you not bring a few 50ml bottles of something they already sell?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

On a recent flight a fellow pax sitting next to me (who more looked like an unpleasant Greyhound pax) ordered four cans of beer at once and then ordered another four cans an hour later, so I guess when it comes to drinking alcohol, many pax lose their price sensitivity.
8 beers on one flight? He must have wore down a path to the lavatory!

Last edited by mapleg; Aug 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mapleg
8 beers on one flight? He must have wore down a path to the lavatory!
Indeed, I was in the aisle seat and was trying to take a nap (after 20h of travelling) and he asked me to get up every 20min. I offered him the aisle seat, but he declined saying "I prefer the window seat"

I´ll admit to enjoying some glasses fo wine/champagne in C/F, but at last I don´t inconvenience anybody too much.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Upside: no extra tip is required?!

Here's an idea, couldn't some Tango slob buy a la carte MLL access on his ticket and then drink his $40 worth - or greater - in the lounge?

On that note would On My Way cover denied boarding/intoxicated? AC has thought of everything

Last edited by Tangoer; Aug 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Upside: no extra tip is required?!

Here's an idea, couldn't some Tango slob buy a la carte MLL access on his ticket and then drink his $40 worth - or greater - in the lounge?

On that note would On My Way cover denied boarding/intoxicated? AC has thought of everything
i have never tipped with my CC but used to do the same with cash all the time. since prices have gone up and AC is pricing such a huge margin into booze, the employees can negotiate something out of that. at 4 bucks a beer, i am giving a fiver and say thanks...at 6, i am taking my change and at 7, i am BYOB...well, BYO small bottles of hard liquor that can go through security without issue.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
This is my experience as well. I drink beer, but I generally do NOT drink alcohol while flying. So even if AC was charging $2 for the beer I probably just wouldn't bother buying it.

It seems to me that I rarely see someone order just one drink. It is often 2 Vodkas or several beer at least.

I really think that if you are going to drink on the plane you just pay the money and don't question it. Much like drinking at a downtown bar, it is nothing to pay $7 at least for a pint even though it is a ridiculous price.

I think AC will get to $9 with the pricing but will avoid the $10 level for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I don´t drink beer myself, don´t drink much hard liquor and I´ve never been too interested in the wines in Y, so I don´t really care personally.

The on-baord cafe offering is one of the few areas AC can very accurately analyue revenues/profts/profit margins etc.

Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by muskoka
I cant remember the last time I paid $7 for a domestic beer in a bar or restaurant. The $6 was a tipping point for me. $7 is just too much
Just curious, when has the price of anything on any airline been related to what it is on the ground? Or in most airports...for that matter.

If it's beyond your tipping point, then it's a simple solution and AC's loss of revenue/profit. Just like if they price a ticket too high, many are not going to buy it. It's AC's loss.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:27 pm

Just returned from T.O. after our annual summer vac in Muskoka. (GREAT Weather!) but I was surprised (but not shocked) that alcohol is now $7 in Economy.:
Heineken beer is $7. Other beers are still $6, as are wines, sangria (new on board!), and spirits.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
The In-charge made an error in his announcement then. He definitely said $7.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
MLL day passes are only sold with T+ and Latitude fares, not Tango.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Are you sure or have you ever booked a T fare?

I checked now, YYZ-YVR in T, the next page offers:

Lounge Access Purchase Maple LeafTM Lounge access
Add $40 per person
Help me choose
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's cheaper on a Tango Plus fare, but Tango people can absolutely buy lounge access.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:00 pm

I cant remember the last time I paid $7 for a domestic beer in a bar or restaurant. The $6 was a tipping point for me. $7 is just too much
When you look at what you get, it's actually pretty fair -
liquor shot in a bar is 35ml and ~ $5. + You have to tip.
If you get a 50ml liquor + can of mixer, you're getting 1.5 drinks for $7 taxes and tip incl. Plus, you can make it as strong/weak as you prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.