Aeroplan to RBC Rewards/Avion Swap

Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jarusoba
You've either mistaken or you've been ripped off. If you're swiping you Esso card, you should be earning 3x Esso points if you buy Supreme gas. So $2500 spending means 7500 Esso points.
I'm talking about AE points.. You get 1 for every $3.. and triple points for supreme you get 1 AE point for every $1. On a double promo, you get 2 AE miles for every $1 spent on supreme..

To clarify on Esso Extra Points.. You get 1 pt for every $1 spent on regular, 3 points for every $1 spent on supreme, and on double promo, youget 9 points for every $1 spent on supreme
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: FT
to answer my own question and for assistance of others....

you can convert up to a max of 50,000 AP miles at a time to Esso.

you can, however, do immediate subsequent transfers of 50K. so i did 50,000, 50,000 and 30,000 in about two minutes.

so now I have an additional 134,000 BA miles that cost me only $850 bucks from an account i had access to.

BTW, anyone know who pays for the transfers? it really costs me nothing netting out....AP, or Esso or RBC or BA? or all of them.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
to answer my own question and for assistance of others....

you can convert up to a max of 50,000 AP miles at a time to Esso.

you can, however, do immediate subsequent transfers of 50K. so i did 50,000, 50,000 and 30,000 in about two minutes.

so now I have an additional 134,000 BA miles that cost me only $850 bucks from an account i had access to.

BTW, anyone know who pays for the transfers? it really costs me nothing netting out....AP, or Esso or RBC or BA? or all of them.
Are you saying that you paid $850 to conduct this transaction.. or am I reading something into your post?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Are you saying that you paid $850 to conduct this transaction.. or am I reading something into your post?
paid $850 to get access to the AP miles.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:15 pm
Suspended

paid $850 to get access to the AP miles.
Wow..

$850 usually in FF language amounts 85,000 points.. So a net advantage of almost 50,000 points or $500..

What was the logic to devalue the points?.. Was there added value having the Esso points over AE points?..

And where does the BA points come into play.. or is that another name for Esso points?

From my calculation you earn 1 Esso point per dollar spent, but only 1 AE point on $3 spent on gas..

So when you converted the AE points to Esso.. did you get triple the amount of Esso points or more?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:39 pm

Wow..

$850 usually in FF language amounts 85,000 points.. So a net advantage of almost 50,000 points or $500..

What was the logic to devalue the points?.. Was there added value having the Esso points over AE points?..

And where does the BA points come into play.. or is that another name for Esso points?

From my calculation you earn 1 Esso point per dollar spent, but only 1 AE point on $3 spent on gas..

So when you converted the AE points to Esso.. did you get triple the amount of Esso points or more?
good negotiator i guess....i needed the AP miles in my BAEC account since they were useless to me where they were.

1AP=1.14 Esso points; 1.14 Esso points are equal to 0.684 avion points; 0.684 avion points are equal to 1.02BA miles taking advantage of the BA, 1.5 bonus.

purchase of fuel is not part of this deal but when i buy gas, i credit to esso to move to avion to hold to conver to BA at the 1.5 mile bonus.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:34 pm
Suspended

good negotiator i guess....i needed the AP miles in my BAEC account since they were useless to me where they were.

1AP=1.14 Esso points; 1.14 Esso points are equal to 0.684 avion points; 0.684 avion points are equal to 1.02BA miles taking advantage of the BA, 1.5 bonus.

purchase of fuel is not part of this deal but when i buy gas, i credit to esso to move to avion to hold to conver to BA at the 1.5 mile bonus.
Took me a moment to decipher what you've got going..

So Basically you paid $850 to get 1.5 times BA miles compared to 1 AE mile..

So ratio 1:1.5..

For a cost of $850..

But I'm confused.. you said on your original post that you converted 50K, 50K and 30K of AE miles to Esso.. and you ended up with 134,000 BA miles..

Or is the 134,000 BA miles before applied 1.5K bonus on it.. so really you ended up with another 67,000 BA miles.. so total of 211,000 BA miles..?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by uselessheadrest
Pesky fleet cards with no point accumulation!
Though I don't complain - I (my company) spends 5-6k a year on fuel (minimum), so that nets me a nice few AP miles for no $ out of my pocket
With my fleet speedpass, I just swipe my AP card then use the keytag and I collect AP with no problem.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
With my fleet speedpass, I just swipe my AP card then use the keytag and I collect AP with no problem.
Agreed.. you should be able to collect AP no problem using fleet cards..

I swipe my fleet card (which is my own company), and then I can swipe either Esso, or AP depending what I feel like..

I've been doing this for years..
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:38 am

Took me a moment to decipher what you've got going..

So Basically you paid $850 to get 1.5 times BA miles compared to 1 AE mile..

So ratio 1:1.5..

For a cost of $850..

But I'm confused.. you said on your original post that you converted 50K, 50K and 30K of AE miles to Esso.. and you ended up with 134,000 BA miles..

Or is the 134,000 BA miles before applied 1.5K bonus on it.. so really you ended up with another 67,000 BA miles.. so total of 211,000 BA miles..?
i wish....the promo allows you to extra AP mile at 1:1....roughly....without the 50% bonus, the conversion out of AP would be as poor as conversion of most miles programs into other miles programs.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:40 am

Agreed.. you should be able to collect AP no problem using fleet cards..

I swipe my fleet card (which is my own company), and then I can swipe either Esso, or AP depending what I feel like..

I've been doing this for years..
yup...using a fleet card and buying premium gas by a family member has added very nicely to my BA balance over the last 10 years.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:33 am
Suspended

yup...using a fleet card and buying premium gas by a family member has added very nicely to my BA balance over the last 10 years.
I've switched to Costco and using Gold Amex somewhat..

Still have 5,000 Esso Extra Points.. What do you think I should do with it?.. I guess car washes seems still reasonable
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:09 am

I've switched to Costco and using Gold Amex somewhat..

Still have 5,000 Esso Extra Points.. What do you think I should do with it?.. I guess car washes seems still reasonable
convert them to my rbc rewards account.... wor
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:43 am
Suspended

convert them to my rbc rewards account.... wor
Probably been sitting there for years.. and no activity really..

Esso didn't come up with expiring point rules.. have they? Points is as dormant as dust in the attic.. in my account..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.