Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by jaysona

Another Episode of LIVE IFE, brought to you by Flying While Stupid (and possibly drunk)?
Old May 17, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: air miles
Tomorrow on CBC. Passenger assaulted on flight by crew.

Too soon?
Old May 17, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Tomorrow on CBC. Passenger assaulted on flight by crew.

Too soon?
Well, I guess the content of those coffee pots could be considered an assault by the pax who are drinking it.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:52 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
A little while ago, I got to my gate in YYZ a little later than normal and was at the back of the Zone 2 queue (yes, there are Zones numbered that high). As we trickled past the GA, I noticed a guy off to the side looking very serious and apparently counting all of the people as they were boarding. AC or YYZ staff perhaps? Actually, no.

It transpired that he was actually a PAX on my flight and was almost the last one on and sitting in 18F, an exit row window seat. I was nearby in my usual 18C AC A32x poor man's business class seat and while the FA was giving the exit row safety briefing, 18F listened very intently, including reading the seat back card. Good for him. After we were airborne and over about 10,000 feet, things got really weird - 18F was suddenly very determined to put these instructions to good use and was trying very hard to open the now unarmed door.

Several near simultaneous call buttons later, an FA appeared and asked 18F to pretty please not try to open the door and if everything was alright. I didn't hear his response, but whatever he said caused the FA to bring over the SD and (I presume) a chat to be had with the flightdeck. Next thing I know, the guy is getting reseated forward in a near empty bulkhead row. No zap straps appeared, but boy did they keep an eye on him.

Maybe because no coffee pots were used, we didn't divert. But those were probably the most attentive FAs I have ever seen on AC. Justifiably so.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
A little while ago, I got to my gate in YYZ a little later than normal and was at the back of the Zone 2 queue (yes, there are Zones numbered that high). As we trickled past the GA, I noticed a guy off to the side looking very serious and apparently counting all of the people as they were boarding. AC or YYZ staff perhaps? Actually, no.

It transpired that he was actually a PAX on my flight and was almost the last one on and sitting in 18F, an exit row window seat. I was nearby in my usual 18C AC A32x poor man's business class seat and while the FA was giving the exit row safety briefing, 18F listened very intently, including reading the seat back card. Good for him. After we were airborne and over about 10,000 feet, things got really weird - 18F was suddenly very determined to put these instructions to good use and was trying very hard to open the now unarmed door.

Several near simultaneous call buttons later, an FA appeared and asked 18F to pretty please not try to open the door and if everything was alright. I didn't hear his response, but whatever he said caused the FA to bring over the SD and (I presume) a chat to be had with the flightdeck. Next thing I know, the guy is getting reseated forward in a near empty bulkhead row. No zap straps appeared, but boy did they keep an eye on him.

Maybe because no coffee pots were used, we didn't divert. But those were probably the most attentive FAs I have ever seen on AC. Justifiably so.
If I saw someone trying to open the exit door mid-flight, they'd be unconscious long before an FA could arrive.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If I saw someone trying to open the exit door mid-flight, they'd be unconscious long before an FA could arrive.
And I'm guessing you don't mean unconscious due to multiple rum & cokes ...
Old May 17, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

After we were airborne and over about 10,000 feet, things got really weird - 18F was suddenly very determined to put these instructions to good use and was trying very hard to open the now unarmed door.

What do you mean by "unarmed door"?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know if I would go so far as rendering the individual unconscious. I'd definitely try to restrain the person, it's not like they can really do much of anything with the door at altitude.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Now posted at Global

Toronto-bound Air Canada flight diverted after passenger allegedly tried to open cabin door

By Staff The Associated Press

http://globalnews.ca/news/3457478/ai...en-cabin-door/

and

Toronto city councillor helps subdue agitated man on Air Canada flight

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...officials.html

QUOTE:

The Associated Press reports that the man was heard to say it would “only take one guy to take the plane down.”

Passengers, including many families returning from vacation, were upset, Thompson said.

“People were crying,” and demanding the plane land so they could get off, he said.

Thompson said he was concerned for his fellow passengers so he told a flight attendant the man should be restrained. She talked to the pilot and agreed."
Old May 17, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 24left
Now posted at Global

Toronto-bound Air Canada flight diverted after passenger allegedly tried to open cabin door

and

QUOTE:

The Associated Press reports that the man was heard to say it would “only take one guy to take the plane down.”

Passengers, including many families returning from vacation, were upset, Thompson said.

“People were crying,” and demanding the plane land so they could get off, he said.

Thompson said he was concerned for his fellow passengers so he told a flight attendant the man should be restrained. She talked to the pilot and agreed."
I feel bad for the guy's wife... according to the article, she stayed home because she couldn't leave her five children, including some with serious health issues, with a babysitter. Then, as if she didn't have enough on her shoulders, dad goes to Jamaica solo and wigs out completely on the flight home.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:04 pm

What do you mean by "unarmed door"?
My bad - meant to say 'armed door'.

<shame>Once again the combination of an overly zealous spellchecker plus my totally uncoordinated typing have conspired to mislead and baffle others. A long career in tech, and I still can't type worth.</shame>

Last edited by tcook052; May 17, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reason: content
Old May 23, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
Now posted at Global

and

QUOTE:

An update:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/23...-ruckus-lawyer

Air Canada passenger took cocaine before flight ruckus: Lawyer
Old May 23, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Air Canada passenger took cocaine before flight ruckus: Lawyer
Between that or Kit Kats, I would take Rouge up on a cocaine option if they offered it. It would give my in-flight rum and cokes a whole new dimension.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I don't know if I would go so far as rendering the individual unconscious.
Maybe you wouldn't, but cow would!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:29 pm

Another customer unhappy with Rouge

Old May 26, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/26...ruly-passenger

Air Canada flight grounded in Miami thanks to unruly passenger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.