Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 19, 08, 9:43 pm   #1

Do I need to carry a passport if I have Nexus

If I am flying without my passport but have nexus to get into Canada, will I have trouble with Air Canada getting on the plane?
flymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 08, 9:53 pm   #2

Programs: AA-PLT AC-nil HH-G
Maybe.

1. Conditions of use for Nexus require you to have your passport with you.
2. Airlline will want to see a valid photo ID. A D.L. might suffice for AC, but I don't think a Nexus card will cut it.
--
13F
Old Aug 19, 08, 9:57 pm   #3

Programs: AC*E
Call me old-fashioned, but even as a Nexus-holder, I wouldn't leave the country without my passport.
uselessheadrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 08, 10:14 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Nexus is not an alternative to or replacement for your passport. You must have your ppt with you if you're using Nexus.
Old Aug 20, 08, 5:33 am   #5

Programs: AC*SE, NW*Plat, Hilton-Diamond
Definitely must have your documents with you in case the CBP agent requests it. I have encountered this previously at land crossing. If you don't have them, the agent can revoke your nexus and deny entry.
EngineeringConsultant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 08, 5:58 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
Maybe.

1. Conditions of use for Nexus require you to have your passport with you.
2. Airlline will want to see a valid photo ID. A D.L. might suffice for AC, but I don't think a Nexus card will cut it.
--
13F
The intent of the Nexus card would seem to serve as media for the RFID chip that isn't currently in your passport. The card is held up to your vehicle window for ground crossings (beats getting out for a retinal scan in a downpour!). As mentioned your passport needs to be with you.

I used my Nexus card for an AC domestic flight today instead of a DL - twice and had no questions by the agent.
amitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 08, 7:30 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald & Sapphire; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Ambassador; CarlsonConcierge; AirMilesGold
AC accepts NEXUS card as valid ID for boarding purposes, as well as ID for readmission into Canada from the US, but not from any other country. However, based on my experience last month, US airlines will not accept it as ID proof you can get into Canada. (Stupid, but...) Terms of card do require you to carry your passport or other acceptable (to US authorities) ID. The new NEXUS cards, formally released on Monday in the US have a chip and other security features and thus may mitigate the need to carry your passport as this is now the US standard form of ID for Americans who only want to travel to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. However, this needs to be confirmed when we start receiving these new cards.
Shareholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 08, 3:07 pm   #8

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
When I had my Nexus interview, I was told that I still needed the proper documents to cross the border. The Nexus card just facilitates the crossing.

In general, I will not leave the country without my passport. You never know what could happen. Maybe you have to go overseas on an emergency basis, there is another international incident (9/11 or similar), you need the Embassy's "help" for whatever reason, etc.
IsleTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 12, 2:57 pm   #9

Update 2012

As of June 1, 2009 you may use a Nexus card in place of a passport.

This is confirmed at the administering website:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/about-sujet-eng.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

For Canadian and U.S. citizens, NEXUS membership cards also fulfill the travel document requirements of the U.S. WHTI. A NEXUS membership card may be used as an alternative to a passport when entering the United States:

by air when used at kiosks at designated airports; and
at all land and marine ports of entry.
For detailed information on the U.S. WHTI, visit the CBSA and Homeland Security Web Site.
pauljohngriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 12, 3:49 am   #10

Programs: AC E75K, TK Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljohngriffin View Post
As of June 1, 2009 you may use a Nexus card in place of a passport.

This is confirmed at the administering website:
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/about-sujet-eng.html

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

For Canadian and U.S. citizens, NEXUS membership cards also fulfill the travel document requirements of the U.S. WHTI. A NEXUS membership card may be used as an alternative to a passport when entering the United States:

by air when used at kiosks at designated airports; and
at all land and marine ports of entry.
For detailed information on the U.S. WHTI, visit the CBSA and Homeland Security Web Site.
You have missed the point here. You may present the Nexus card in place of a passport, but terms of the Nexus program are that one has to have the passport available on your person if the agent requests it. End of story.

I am unsure why this "why do I have to carry my passport and Nexus card?" seems to continue to be such a problem for so many people. The rules are clear. Follow them.
simd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 12, 6:19 am   #11

Programs: AC E, SPG, Delta privilege, Fairmount
The rules are indeed clear. The card may be presented instead of the passport but the passport must be with you.
Global guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 12, 7:43 am   #12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Mileage Run & Manufactured Spending

Quote:
Originally Posted by simd View Post
You have missed the point here.
Agree. Also I can't help wonder why reopen a 3+ year old thread with a 2+ year old revision and call it a 2012 update when there is the master Nexus thread.
Old Jan 25, 12, 7:51 am   #13

Programs: AC*P, *A Silver, NEXUS
My understanding is that in one of the directions (I can't recall which), a passport is compulsory when travelling by air. Therefore, if you fly you must take your passport even if you have NEXUS.

By land, any WHTI-certified identification is acceptable to cross the border including a passport card (US has one), compliant driver's license (some provinces and states have them), or NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST cards. No passport is necessary if you have a WHTI-compliant identity card with you, and you're crossing by land.

I'm not sure how it works for sea or lake crossings as I've never done one.
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 12, 8:31 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global guy View Post
The rules are indeed clear. The card may be presented instead of the passport but the passport must be with you.
I had a colleague who needed to attend a meeting in New York (he is Canadian) while his passport was getting a visa renewed and thus was not available.

After checking with the Nexus office etc he was allowed to do it.

The ONLY place he had problems were using the Nexus card as ID with the TSA flying return from JFK to Canada. Eventually, with the help of airline staff, they accepted it, however he almost missed his flight and the airline staff told him he was very lucky.

I wouldn't gamble on this one unless it is absolutely the only answer- and have a backup plan ready.
TRAVELSIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 12, 8:32 am   #15

Programs: AC*SE/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by uselessheadrest View Post
Call me old-fashioned, but even as a Nexus-holder, I wouldn't leave the country without my passport.
EXACTLY!!
lcohen999 is offline   Reply With Quote