Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad

Get more out of your eUpgrade Credits

Since Air Canada doesn't seem to provide these important links anymore, let us do it for them.
  • Official eUp chart (as of Oct 2 2020)
  • Upgrades can now be requested at anytime after booking (i.e. it can be requested prior to your clearance window).

North America / Sun

International

eUpgrade Clearance Windows

Print Wikipost

FAQ: How to Upgrade on Air Canada

Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:34 am

Hi ACxxxxxxHI, welcome to FT and thanks for the post. Some people do think that a nice smile is all that is required and they will get the upgrade!!! Clearing up issues about how complimentary u/g are done did help.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:20 pm

how many upgrade certs do I need

This is my first year getting to AC's prestige level. Thinking about going to PEK in May of 2008. I understand that if I plan on using a system wide upgrade certificate (prestige level). That I need to book in Y,M,U class. However, how many certificates do I need for a return trip? Do I need to use 1 certifcate for each sector outbound to PEK and another PEK inbound. I don't mind paying the Y,M,U fare if I can fly return with one system wide upgrade coupon.

Since I haven't yet chosen my prestige rewards I was wondering if getting another reward option is better than the 2 system wide upgrade certificates.

Any thoughts
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:38 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

1 certificate from origin to destination including connections. So in your case you'll need 2 (1 to PEK and 1 back from PEK)
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by concol
Since I haven't yet chosen my prestige rewards I was wondering if getting another reward option is better than the 2 system wide upgrade certificates.
As a P, if you are prepared to pay Y,M,U fare to PEK (They are not unreasonable) and there is space available to upgrade upon purchase of the ticket, then this is an excellent choice of reward option. If there is no I space available and you rely on upgrading at the gate, you may be disappointed as there will likely be lots of SE and E trying to do likewise and they have priority over you.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AC E*G
"The name and Aeroplan number of the top tier member appear on the certificate. They can only be used by the member or a companion travelling on the same flight."

So, to confirm then, if travelling on a reservation for two, of which one individual is a top tier member, only one of the pair will be upgraded using a cert? I had been under the impression that both the top tier member and his/her companion could be upgraded with one cert. If my impressions were false and the former is true, then can a top-tier member use two certs on a flight: one cert to upgrade him/herself and the other cert to upgrade his/her companion?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ViperXF
"The name and Aeroplan number of the top tier member appear on the certificate. They can only be used by the member or a companion travelling on the same flight."

So, to confirm then, if travelling on a reservation for two, of which one individual is a top tier member, only one of the pair will be upgraded using a cert? I had been under the impression that both the top tier member and his/her companion could be upgraded with one cert. If my impressions were false and the former is true, then can a top-tier member use two certs on a flight: one cert to upgrade him/herself and the other cert to upgrade his/her companion?
A status passenger can upgrade 1 other person on the same flight, however a certificate is used for each passenger.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by ViperXF

In addition to:

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
A status passenger can upgrade 1 other person on the same flight, however a certificate is used for each passenger.
in fact, the status pax can stay in Y and use only one cert for the companion. There is no requirement for the status pax to sit up front.
The status pax could be on a non-upgradable fare or a Y award ticket. The only requirement is to be on the same flight.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC*E50
One paid + one reward fare

Originally Posted by zorn
In addition to:
in fact, the status pax can stay in Y and use only one cert for the companion. There is no requirement for the status pax to sit up front.
The status pax could be on a non-upgradable fare or a Y award ticket. The only requirement is to be on the same flight.
If you are traveling as one status passenger and one companion, and only one ticket is upgradeable (i.e. common scenario of one reward ticket and one paid ticket), it's a good strategy to always put the upgradeable ticket in the status pax's name. This increases the odds of an upgrade and gives status miles to the person who needs them. This strategy also works well when you get one reward ticket via AE and one via an upgradeable reward program (such as DC).

When you get on the plane, just swap boarding passes. I've done this several times without issue - the FA shouldn't care as long as you don't try to "share" the J seat by switching mid-flight (that's neither permitted nor polite).

Also, if you booked using two different methods don't forget to call AC and get your companion's seat moved next to yours at the front of the plane before the upgrade gets processed. That way if your ticket gets upgraded and you give it to your companion, you won't be stuck in their non-status seat at the back of the back of the bus.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Upgrade priority and flight pass

Slightly confused here.
MIA-YYZ-YVR on Thurs.
Booked on Lat flight pass with confirmed SWU cert upgrade.
Arrive for flight and MIA-YYZ is delayed due to plane change on the outbound from YYZ.
45 min delay 10:30 now 11:15.
Check in, ask about tight connection and I am told "if you don't make the 3:00 to YVR, you are protected on the 4:00"
Okay fine, hand the the cert, receive BPs, note on file have carry on only and cert taken.
Only half full J cabin MIA-YYZ
Get the gate in YYZ, plane is just pushing out 5 min EARLY. "Sorry sir, we could not wait, I can put you on the 4 in Y or the 6 in J. I thought was protected on the 4 due to the metal problem. Sorry sir J is full but I will waitlist you." Get new BP and head to new gate.
Boarding begins and wait to see if the upgrade clears.
Gentleman approaches GA and says he is on the 6 but what about the 4. Same routine y yes j full.
I am told no upgrade and proceed to 14C.
Halfway thru the flight I use the washroom and see the other pax in J. Hey lucky him.
A couple of questions:
1. The MIA GA should have been able to check the J status of the 4 to YVR so why tell me I am protected. The flight from MIA is short and usually XMed. YYZ-YVR is much longer and can be old equipment. Knowing this I would not burn a cert for a 3+ hr flight only.
2. How does AC decide on U/Gs ? The other pax ends up on an early flight in J and I am on the later flight due to AC not leaving on time and stuck in Y and no IFE to boot.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aspan
1. The MIA GA should have been able to check the J status of the 4 to YVR so why tell me I am protected. The flight from MIA is short and usually XMed. YYZ-YVR is much longer and can be old equipment. Knowing this I would not burn a cert for a 3+ hr flight only.
In AC lingo being "protected" means you have a seat somewhere on the aircraft - could be middle seat in the rear row, but it is a seat. Should they tell you you are not guaranteed J? Probably, but that would require extra key strokes and effort. Lesson: ask specifically if you are in J whern they say you are protected.

Originally Posted by Aspan
2. How does AC decide on U/Gs ? The other pax ends up on an early flight in J and I am on the later flight due to AC not leaving on time and stuck in Y and no IFE to boot.
In theory it is by status then by fare then by check in time. Other passenger may have been an SE, or the agent may have not followed process and just shoved people aboard.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: no status
Thank you for this post. I am a new Prestige member and was trying to figure out how to use the certificates.

1) I am flexible with my travel dates and was looking for YWG-STR on several dates between May and 08 and Feb 09 but could not find any that displayed the eligibility symbol when I used the SWU code. I also tried to simplify by just looking for YYZ-FRA but also no success. Does this mean all upgradeable seats to Germany are gone?

2) Also, while I am willing to pay for a M fare to get the upgrade I would not want to use this fare in itself. When I called AC the agent said that only Y would be fully refundable - so what are the refund options for M fares?

3)How far ahead can one use the upgrade ceritificate to get a reservation?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Merlin666
1) I am flexible with my travel dates and was looking for YWG-STR on several dates between May and 08 and Feb 09 but could not find any that displayed the eligibility symbol when I used the SWU code. I also tried to simplify by just looking for YYZ-FRA but also no success. Does this mean all upgradeable seats to Germany are gone?
It could be, but there are also reports of lack of functionality with the AC.com upgrade arrow functionality right now.

You could try:

http://publicbackup.com/shared/flyertalk/availability/

and look for I fare availability in the meantime, or provide your dates and someone could look for you.

2) Also, while I am willing to pay for a M fare to get the upgrade I would not want to use this fare in itself. When I called AC the agent said that only Y would be fully refundable - so what are the refund options for M fares?
The M fare published between YWG and STR is fully refundable. The actual Y fare is astronomical!

Note that the M fare is pretty expensive. For $500 more you can get a Z fare (discounted business class) and forget the upgrade certs altogether.

3)How far ahead can one use the upgrade certificate to get a reservation?
You can request an upgrade for flights as far in advance as you can book them. If you end up not having the cert at the gate, you won't actually get the upgrade, but that is separate from the actual request itself.

Your questions were a mix of "how to upgrade" and "how can I upgrade this particular trip". Please start a new thread for questions about your particular trip, so this thread doesn't become too unwieldy.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
How would I get onto the waitlist again when I check-in at SEA? Last time I was there, the United agents handled Air Canada check-in. That, and I'm flying SEA-YVR-YYZ... If SEA can't put me on the waitlist, am I going to have to wait until I get to YVR to request my upgrade again?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
How would I get onto the waitlist again when I check-in at SEA? Last time I was there, the United agents handled Air Canada check-in. That, and I'm flying SEA-YVR-YYZ... If SEA can't put me on the waitlist, am I going to have to wait until I get to YVR to request my upgrade again?
Check in on-line and request the upgrade.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Seattle isn't available for online check in.

Originally Posted by The Lev
Check in on-line and request the upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.