Wiki Posts
Search

NZ J vs. AC new J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
NZ J vs. AC new J

After trying NZ's new J, I figured I would share with everyone how it racks up against AC's new J product.

NZ - pro's
- a lower sidewall means that it is easier to communicate with neighbors, also made the seat seem wider as well, perhaps they were just wider.
- IFE hands down NZ wins, the PTV not only has much more entertainment, but the unit is also more mobile than AC's.
- the bed is longer, I was able to fully stretch out, and I'm 6'4.
- larger traytable, however AC's is pretty large as well.

NZ - con's
- the bed is harder, as the seat folds forward when making it into a bed, I found that the seat was quite hard and not very comfy for sleeping.

Overall, NZ's J was better, at least AC's is a step in the right direction, and not that far behind NZ's J product. However they will have to invest some more money into IFE, and improve on the little extra's that premium pax will find to be a nice touch.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the first post comparing these two, I have been waiting for someone to do that!

Yes the seats on NZ seem to be very hard in all classes, I always end up with a sore bum in Economy and Premium Economy, sitting on a blanket helps!

AC's IFE is well rubbish at the moment from all accounts, Sebring will no doubt come in here and defend it and say wait til Jan etc etc. Fair enough, BUT:

I still fail to see why AC are stuffing around with a new system, trialing a moving map, wow such a technological advance, how long have other airlines had moving maps for ?

Of course the answer is cost, no doubt AC got this system very cheap and that's why they choose it.

So in Jan the IFE will be updated and will be similar to NZ, but not quite as much content yet, again they can update that again later on and probably will.

Service/Food is reported to be improving so again a step in the right direction

My question did they have the self-serve bar set up for use on AC ? Was there just drinks or small snacks as well ?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:49 am

Programs: AC 50K MM, HH DIA, GP DIA, SPG PLT, Delta Gold, Farimont Plat
Originally Posted by shore9
After trying NZ's new J, I figured I would share with everyone how it racks up against AC's new J product.

NZ - pro's
- a lower sidewall means that it is easier to communicate with neighbors, also made the seat seem wider as well, perhaps they were just wider.
- IFE hands down NZ wins, the PTV not only has much more entertainment, but the unit is also more mobile than AC's.
- the bed is longer, I was able to fully stretch out, and I'm 6'4.
- larger traytable, however AC's is pretty large as well.

NZ - con's
- the bed is harder, as the seat folds forward when making it into a bed, I found that the seat was quite hard and not very comfy for sleeping.

Overall, NZ's J was better, at least AC's is a step in the right direction, and not that far behind NZ's J product. However they will have to invest some more money into IFE, and improve on the little extra's that premium pax will find to be a nice touch.
Any other differences you noticed with respsect to service, food and beverage etc?
I only have a couple of recent NZ flights to SYD, but food, service et al. were fantastic, rivaling TG, SQ imho.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Most of the time NZ service is very good, efficient and friendly. I'm not sure that food is any better, although wines usually are. I do prefer the J pods to AC's, although because the back folds down to make the bed you have to make a conscious decision to settle down for a sleep.

I'm just on my way to catch an SQ 777 with the new J seats. That will be an interesting comparison.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have taking AC J across the Atlantic and NZ PE across the Pacific.

I found that NZ PE felt very much like AC J with a third seat popped in the middle.

Service, food, IFE were wonderful, and having all three LOTR movies for the LAX-AKL kills off the entire flight!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
I do not recall if there was a self serve bar on the way down to SYD, but I believe there was, that was in June however. NZ's service was above AC's, but not that far ahead. What I was really impressed with was the SYD - WLG service in J on NZ, that was fantastic. The service on the upper deck in J was fast, efficient and friendly enough, but felt kind of rushed as well. In terms of actual food, it was all about the same IMO, airline food is never that great to me however.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Glad to here AC didnt make the seats so HARD like the 345's....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.