Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
From January 2006. Progress is amazing.

My internet provider's servers crashed for about 6 hours a couple of weeks ago. Not the first such crash and won't be the last. AC is in he same boat. The internet is not perfect.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hello again
My internet provider's servers crashed for about 6 hours a couple of weeks ago. Not the first such crash and won't be the last. AC is in he same boat. The internet is not perfect.
Your internet and a datacenter supposedly running on a n+1 redundant infrastructure are two totally different things. It's like comparing aviation today to a cow. There is next to no resemblance.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lise is on holiday.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
...It's like comparing aviation today to a cow. There is next to no resemblance.
But aviation and penguins are rather similar - neither can fly with these issues.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has now turned into "regularly scheduled maintenance" on aircanada.com.

But things now seem to be working.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Yes, but I like having a little fun on a Friday and the opportunity presented itself.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Your internet and a datacenter supposedly running on a n+1 redundant infrastructure are two totally different things. It's like comparing aviation today to a cow. There is next to no resemblance.
But AC/ae's aviation and cows, seem so similar.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Uh excuse me. Some cows are licensed.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm with SAP on this one. Also, the Aeroplan site is down for a zillion hours a week already for "routine maintenance". They should at least be able to keep it running in the paltry hours that they say it will be.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by adam.smith
the Aeroplan site is down for a zillion hours a week already for "routine maintenance". They should at least be able to keep it running in the paltry hours that they say it will be.
The problem is the IT monkeys have so much backlog of fixes they need to apply, they asked to schedule 200 hours of maintenance each night for the next decade.

But management only agreed to 8 hours each night. So the IT monkeys feel they are not getting management support in order to do their work.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:15 am
Suspended

Even my bank systems go down occasionally. Stop with the pretend BS. All internet systems do go down. AC's may go down more often but I think they may have simply grown faster than their IT system and are in catch up mode.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Even my bank systems go down occasionally. Stop with the pretend BS. All internet systems do go down. AC's may go down more often but I think they may have simply grown faster than their IT system and are in catch up mode.
Right. You work in enterprise support with one of the world's most profitable companies? I do. And I work with Canada's largest IT environments weekly.

All internet systems go down? Have you worked with companies in the healthcare space? Government? Mission critical environments?

Going offline is one thing. Being offline unexpectedly while not being in a maintenance window is another.

That statement you made is not true. While Murphy is a pain, the law can be mitigated. However comparing your ISP to an enterprise IT datacenter is nuts. My last post on the matter.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; May 23, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old May 23, 2015, 8:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
There's nothing pretend about it. I do almost everything online. Banking, investment management, travel booking, e-mail, reading news, etc. All of those sites run pretty much 24/7 without issue. None of them go down for "regularly scheduled maintenance" anywhere near as often as Aeroplan does. In fact, it's a major event when any of them go down for any reason. And when they do have routine maintenance, it's usually at a time when almost no one is using the site, unlike Aeroplan, which shuts down at midnight eastern, which is only 10PM here or 9PM on the west coast.

I get that nothing is foolproof, but the Aeroplan site is ridiculous in how often it's out of commission.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
...the Aeroplan site is ridiculous in how often it's out of commission.
Is it really ridiculous when you consider they get to charge a telephone booking fee when the site's out of commission?
Old May 23, 2015, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
....but the Aeroplan site is ridiculous in how often it's out of commission.

Originally Posted by ffsim
Is it really ridiculous when you consider they get to charge a telephone booking fee when the site's out of commission?

Don't be silly. It's not ridiculous. It's insanity by design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.