Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: LAX MLL & *A Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Is this elevator as slow as the hamster-wheel-driven YYZ Dom MLL elevators?
That's hard to tell. This one has a far shorter distance to go. Overall, I'd say speed-wise: similar.

The crunch here comes at the landing upstairs. There's so little room it takes a minute of people shuffling about to get out/in.

The door to the MLL is immediately to the right. As in IMMEDIATLEY...just a standard doorway.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
Don't know but if they do open it to UA Star G members then the smallish lounge will be overrun and there will be people sitting on the floor. And the booze will run out. No offence to all the UA status holders.
The same way AC riffruff overruns the Polaris lounge in ORD
Payback!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm still confused why a UA manager was ever involved in any of your conversations with club access. Too bad you didn't get their name, it sounds like someone needs a combination of re-training and a slap upside the head.
I never talked to the "UA manager" - I was talking to the MLL dragon, who initially denied me entry. I pushed back hard, so she called her manager. She told me, while she was talking to the manager, that a UA manager had told that AC manager that UA golds were not to be allowed in on a domestic flight. I never saw or talked to the UA manager.

That said, I believe that it is the position that they are taking (whether deliberate or ignorantly), because I had an exceptionally rude LAX United Club agent tell me that the policy didn't allow me to be given access, that I shouldn't be given access to either the AC lounge or the *A lounge at TBIT, and he was going to call the TBIT lounge manager to make sure that she knew that they were erroneously giving UA golds entry on domestic itineraries. I definitely got that agent's name.

Additionally, I have email confirmation from 1Kvoice that their reading of the *A policy is that UA golds on domestic itineraries don't get access to *A lounges. I've pushed back on them, as well, and am waiting for follow-up.

Greg
Old May 25, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by greg99
I never talked to the "UA manager" - I was talking to the MLL dragon, who initially denied me entry. I pushed back hard, so she called her manager. She told me, while she was talking to the manager, that a UA manager had told that AC manager that UA golds were not to be allowed in on a domestic flight. I never saw or talked to the UA manager.

That said, I believe that it is the position that they are taking (whether deliberate or ignorantly), because I had an exceptionally rude LAX United Club agent tell me that the policy didn't allow me to be given access, that I shouldn't be given access to either the AC lounge or the *A lounge at TBIT, and he was going to call the TBIT lounge manager to make sure that she knew that they were erroneously giving UA golds entry on domestic itineraries. I definitely got that agent's name.

Additionally, I have email confirmation from 1Kvoice that their reading of the *A policy is that UA golds on domestic itineraries don't get access to *A lounges. I've pushed back on them, as well, and am waiting for follow-up.

Greg
Sorry you had to go through this BS.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Sorry you had to go through this BS.
Sorry I'm cluttering up the AC side of the house.

AC has acknowledged that they made a mistake not admitting me, so my problem is actually with UA.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So who is the hipster with the sick mustache in the lax MLL right now?
Old May 25, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg99
Sorry I'm cluttering up the AC side of the house.

AC has acknowledged that they made a mistake not admitting me, so my problem is actually with UA.
Right.

The internal UA program is getting muddled outside of it.

I would hope that any *G has access to any *G lounge regardless of the pax's own airline program rules. That's the whole point of this alliance.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Right.

The internal UA program is getting muddled outside of it.

I would hope that any *G has access to any *G lounge regardless of the pax's own airline program rules. That's the whole point of this alliance.
I agree. But it us UA that keep their own Star G out of their own lounges on domestic itin.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The same way AC riffruff overruns the Polaris lounge in ORD
Payback!
Yes, but for every one of us there are a 100 UA status pax :-).
I do not really care as I will go to TBIT time permitting in LAX and the Centurion lounge in SFO. They can have MLL pickles (they seem to be vanishing), cookies and Mac and Cheese.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:11 pm

So who is the hipster with the sick mustache in the lax MLL right now?
this guy?
http://explosm.net/comics/4258/
http://explosm.net/comics/4258/
Old May 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold; *A G; NEXUS
So, I have a stupid question, and this may not necessarily be the right thread but it's related to the last few posts.

I know *G can access the lounge in TBIT, by is that pre security or airside? I ask because I go MEL to LAX with UA, land at TBIT, exit the terminal and go to T6 to take AC to YYZ. So I'm just wondering if it's to my advantage to hustle over to T6 and hit up the MLL or if many people do choose TBIT and then travel over and deal with the TSA after a few crown royals.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MLN21
So, I have a stupid question, and this may not necessarily be the right thread but it's related to the last few posts.

I know *G can access the lounge in TBIT, by is that pre security or airside? I ask because I go MEL to LAX with UA, land at TBIT, exit the terminal and go to T6 to take AC to YYZ. So I'm just wondering if it's to my advantage to hustle over to T6 and hit up the MLL or if many people do choose TBIT and then travel over and deal with the TSA after a few crown royals.
TBIT is airside, however you will need to re-clear security to access the lounge after arriving LAX and clearing US immigration - I hope you know there is no such thing as airside transit in the USA. It will be a lot of moving around, so it will depend on how long your layover will be at arrival. If you have pre-check, the Bradley terminal does not, so you need to enter at the UA or AC terminal, or if they drop you at Bradley for the arrival, just pop next door to T5/AA and use pre-check there if the Bradley security line is too long, then take the tunnel back to Bradley.

If any of the TSA nitwits makes a fuss about the wrong terminal, just say you are going to your lounge in this terminal first. If any of the contractors for the lines tries to make a fuss, just say the same and if they still say no, just ignore them and keep going, they have no authority to stop you.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Is this elevator as slow as the hamster-wheel-driven YYZ Dom MLL elevators?
There must be some special airport lounge grade elevator. YYZ TB, YHZ and YUL are all the same.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
SQ was written up repeatedly for this by members and just refused to go along with the rules - but I never had an issue getting in myself. SQ is a different animal - they make up a lot of rules that defy *A, but no one will kick them out. Air Canada, on the other hand, has neither the reputation, importance or credibility within *A to make up its own rules.

BR was written up not just for this, but actually for denying *G non-Asian customers while allowing Asian *G into the lounge - so that problem was similar, yet worse.

Of course both of these lounges are gone for good with the Polaris expansion.
Did any of those writes ups change anything?

There are only consequences if the Alliance, as a whole, wants there to be. AC doesn't want UA*G in that lounge because they don't have the space. UA doesn't want UA*G in that lounge because they don't want the bill. And the rest couldn't care less, because they view it as yet another consequence of UA's stupid lounge access policy, that in no way impacts their own flyers.

You can write in all you want, but when UA tells *A HQ, "We're with AC on this", that's going to be the end of any "punishment".
Old May 27, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rehoult
Did any of those writes ups change anything?

There are only consequences if the Alliance, as a whole, wants there to be. AC doesn't want UA*G in that lounge because they don't have the space. UA doesn't want UA*G in that lounge because they don't want the bill. And the rest couldn't care less, because they view it as yet another consequence of UA's stupid lounge access policy, that in no way impacts their own flyers.

You can write in all you want, but when UA tells *A HQ, "We're with AC on this", that's going to be the end of any "punishment".
For BR? No, nothing changed, but the lounge is gone. For SQ? Yes, the number of denials almost vanished - the rules were simple, *G on international itineraries were admitted. The only exception was for situations where the lounge was at capacity with their own customers, and that is something I can't fault them for.

If the LAX MLL was at capacity with AC customers, *G or not, then the lounge should not admit *G flying other airlines and then need to turn away AC customers - that's just not fair.

Of course there is better food and more space at the UC, and any AC *G who want a better experience should probably think about heading over one terminal, or going to TBIT. I saw nothing in this new MLL that would entice me back even if I was flying AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.