Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any Canadian retail outlets sell shoes that do not trigger airport metal detector?

Any Canadian retail outlets sell shoes that do not trigger airport metal detector?

Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Until a year ago or so, I could walk through a Canadian airport metal detector with my shoes on (from dress shoes to walking shoes), without triggering an alarm. That has changed over the last year. I wonder if there are any Canadian stores that sell footwear that does not trigger the metal detectors?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Maybe you should tell us what brand/design of shoe you're wearing on your travels these days. I've never had a pair of shoes trigger the detectors, which is why I detest flying in the US where one must remove shoes. So I guess the answer to your question is: slip on loafer style shoes from Rocksport, Ferragamo, Gucci and Floresheim to mention the ones I've worn on my travels of late.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Until a year ago or so, I could walk through a Canadian airport metal detector with my shoes on (from dress shoes to walking shoes), without triggering an alarm. That has changed over the last year. I wonder if there are any Canadian stores that sell footwear that does not trigger the metal detectors?
Harry Rosen sells the Allen Edmonds brand (style Hillcrest) that is labeled as airport metal detector safe. I have 2 pairs and never have had a metal detector go off as a result of my AE shoes. NB: This wasn't the reason for buying this style of shoe.

PJB
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think I have ever had shoes that triggered metal detector either.

(The buckles on my Birkenstocks occasionally do. But I normally change into reals shoes before going through security.)
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wear slippers or running shoes.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Maybe you should tell us what brand/design of shoe you're wearing on your travels these days. I've never had a pair of shoes trigger the detectors, which is why I detest flying in the US where one must remove shoes. So I guess the answer to your question is: slip on loafer style shoes from Rocksport, Ferragamo, Gucci and Floresheim to mention the ones I've worn on my travels of late.
Not all Floresheims are metal free. My husband has a couple pairs that set off metal detectors, and he doesn't fly enough to remember to not wear them!!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:41 am

Programs: AC*E; HH-G; SPG-G; MR-S; الفرسان
I believe it depends on the sensitivity level the magnetometer is set to..
I usually travel in a certain pair of dress shoes (Hugo Boss) and while they don't ring the detectors any more, I recall them doing so once in YUL about a year or so ago (mabe before they adjusted the new detectors there). The security personnel showed me what looked like a metallic block at the base of the shoe.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:04 am
Flying Blue Director

I've also noticed that some airport security stations can be more lax than others. For example, in YVR, I have never been asked to remove my SwissCard (a swiss army knife in a card, for those who don't know) that sits idly in my wallet. I don't leave it in on purpose, but I just forget I have it. Almost everywhere else I fly to/from, their airport personnel notice it, and I end up having to run back to check-in and have them ship it on the plane in a box! I've come extremely close to missing flights because of it....

I wonder why I've never had a problem at YVR...
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII

In my experience different metal detectors in Canada are set to different sensitivities. YYZ is consistently more sensitive than YUL.

As for the shoes, look for a model that is labeled as being "Airport Friendly" or such. I have had good success with my ecco brand shoes.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:52 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shareholder
...which is why I detest flying in the US where one must remove shoes.
I think in some US airports you can keep your shoes on if you want, but then it appears they send you for 2nd-ary for not taking your shoes off! ... a no-win -- no-win situation
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:05 am

I haven't removed my shoes for security in years, even in the US.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
I think in some US airports you can keep your shoes on if you want, but then it appears they send you for 2nd-ary for not taking your shoes off! ... a no-win -- no-win situation
They are supposed to only swab your non-alarming shoes, although there are some airports (ie. DEN, FLL, ATL) which still give you the full treatment.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This does not have an impact on me as my entire L leg will alert them as I walk through.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The Bay has a selection of Florsheim and Rockport(??? Can't be certain on Rockport, but they have a second mfg) that are airport WTMD friendly.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: BonvoyAmbassadorElite, HyattPlatinum, Cathay Pacific Diamond, AeroplanSuperElite
I only wear Prada, Jil Sander, Gucci and then Puma or Nike and never had a problem setting off alarms. They are all available at Holt Renfrew...exept Nike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.