Two simple questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE (*A Gold), SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Two simple questions

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to these but,

1. Do J & C fare classes come out of the same inventory?

2. When booking an aeroplan reward ticket, the $30 Carrier Admin Service Charge (YQ) is just a charge that goes to aeroplan, right? When I booked the other day and called the SE desk, the rep I spoke to said it was taxes that went to the govt.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Originally Posted by Letch
Hi,

2. When booking an aeroplan reward ticket, the $30 Carrier Admin Service Charge (YQ) is just a charge that goes to aeroplan, right? When I booked the other day and called the SE desk, the rep I spoke to said it was taxes that went to the govt.
1. J and C are the same seats but not necessarily the same inventory. C class is the discounted business class inventory where J is full fare business class so the inventory is different and C will sell out prior to J.

2. The phone charge goes to Aeroplan for the agent taking your call and booking the ticket.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Different.

To Aeroplan or maybe AC.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Insurance and security surcharge: Since the events of September 11, 2001, many airlines have been levying a charge per passenger to cover increased costs of insurance and security. On “paper” tickets it is usually shown in the "tax/fee/charge" box* with the code YQ or YR. This surcharge is not a government-imposed tax.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=2449
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE (*A Gold), SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
re 1 -Thanks guys. Just confirming what I thought.

re 2-I was sure that it went to AE/AC, which is why the rep's answer sounded bogus to me. As I've mentioned in other threads, I really feel that line items that are the cost of doing business (e.g. fuel) should be included in the fares, and insurance is also one of the costs of doing business. Charging a 'Carrier Admin Service Charge (YQ)' really seems like a cash grab by AE/AC, listed under a misleading term on the invoice.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:31 pm

re 2-I was sure that it went to AE/AC, which is why the rep's answer sounded bogus to me. As I've mentioned in other threads, I really feel that line items that are the cost of doing business (e.g. fuel) should be included in the fares, and insurance is also one of the costs of doing business. Charging a 'Carrier Admin Service Charge (YQ)' really seems like a cash grab by AE/AC, listed under a misleading term on the invoice.
Couldn't agree more. I think they should not be allowed to use the term "free travel" in any advertisement for aeroplan. It is a lie.

First, they impose strict limits on number of available seats and very sophisticated software to ensure that almost any reward seat is one that would otherwise have gone unsold: or to get as close as possible to that ideal.

Then they charge you outrageous fees -- booking, fuel, etc. -- to claim these "free" seats.

If they do it right, they are actually making a profit on the travel they supposedly give away.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:33 pm

PS: And the amazing thing is that we fall for it!

P.T. Barnum was one prescient thinker.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The presumption some are making is that it's okay to foist part of the security costs onto airlines so long as they hide them in the base fare shown to consumers, not as a side charge such as this YQ. Post 9/11 everyone was on the bandwaggon to increase security but when the music stopped, it was the airlines, who were already in a very precarious place, that got saddled with a large chunk of the costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.