Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transferring Flights with Checked Baggage at YYZ: a Guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Flights with Checked Baggage at YYZ: a Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
So, I just did my international flight to preclearance transfer, with GE. It was all going well until security, but still different to what normal GE would be like (first time actually using my GE).

This was all AC flights, in Terminal 1, with luggage checked through to my US destination.

The procedure was:
1. GE kiosk (or APC kiosks), no queue.
2. Scan your BP at a kiosk which tells you whether your luggage is ready, or not. It also confirms the number of items.
3. If not, there's a waiting room, your name (ABC/F) appears on a screen once your luggage is ready.
4. If (3), scan your BP at another kiosk once your luggage is ready, this just confirms that your luggage is in fact ready.
5. Walk through to actual CBP queues: these were split by GE/Nexus/Crew (not sure about the last one), Foreign Passports, I didn't see if there were other queues since I wasn't paying attention, sorry - presumably there was a US or APC queue?

All GE users had to get their receipt checked, I only saw 2 other people in front of me, who both had at least some questions asked. I had an X (food, duty-free allowance, possibly checking of Visa approval forms), but the officer only asked about a GE card (I don't have one of course), I showed my GE approval letter, and he wrote down my GE number, followed by him checking my Visa forms. Finally a stamp in my passport and on the GE receipt.

Finally the usual customs check, albeit without luggage in my hand: separate GE and normal funnels, not many people in either.

At this stage things got messy: the GE customs chute bypassed the first part of the security queue. After that there was one sign for Nexus, one for some seemingly YYZ specific priority security, one for disabled passengers, and finally you could just join on to the normal queue. I tried the Nexus line, but was told I'd have to show my GE card (once again, that doesn't exist for some GE members), or failing that a CBP sticker on my passport (that doesn't exist at all any more). So I had to join the normal security queue, which wasted a decent amount of time. (Two other american GE members also had to do the same, apparently they never received their GE cards.)

TL;DR: Both CBP and security at Toronto Preclearance seem to be unaware of foreign GE members, and you don't get expedited security if you're foreign. (I've heard YVR give you special stamp on your BP if you're GE, maybe they should do that?)
Old May 1, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
For future reference, I contacted AC by email and this was the response:

"As long as your connecting on the same business day you will not be required to retrieve you luggage.

Hope this helps.

[Name]

Air Canada Reservation Support
Air Canada Call Centre-Saint John"

This is the same information I was given by AC when I called a random reservation agent.

Interestingly, when I called YYZ airport operations, they said that I would probably need to retrieve the luggage.
This was the case, despite the Canadian Bordere Security agent who said that her screen indicated that our luggage needed to be received. Went to AC and UA baggage claim agents, who said to not worry, that the luggage would be transferred. Caveat was that due to delays, ground time was 12 hrs.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
TL;DR: Both CBP and security at Toronto Preclearance seem to be unaware of foreign GE members, and you don't get expedited security if you're foreign. (I've heard YVR give you special stamp on your BP if you're GE, maybe they should do that?)
You're surprised a Canadian government agency (CATSA) won't let you into the NEXUS security line, when not only do you not have a NEXUS membership, but you can't even prove you have a GE membership?

YVR gives you a sticker that would let you into priority line that you would still not be eligible for, just like YYZ. To get into the NEXUS line, you need to present a NEXUS card.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're surprised a Canadian government agency (CATSA) won't let you into the NEXUS security line, when not only do you not have a NEXUS membership, but you can't even prove you have a GE membership?

YVR gives you a sticker that would let you into priority line that you would still not be eligible for, just like YYZ. To get into the NEXUS line, you need to present a NEXUS card.
As I explained: GE members were being allowed into the Nexus line, but only if they had an actual GE card. Pray please do tell me how I'm supposed to get that GE card? The GE stickers don't exist anymore so I can't go down that route...

And if YVR is apparently able to give expedited security to GE members with a stamp, why can't YYZ do so? This is preclearance after all, i.e. to US standards, so if the US want to give GE members expedited security why should we suddenly be using mixed standards again?
Old May 2, 2016, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
As I explained: GE members were being allowed into the Nexus line, but only if they had an actual GE card. Pray please do tell me how I'm supposed to get that GE card? The GE stickers don't exist anymore so I can't go down that route...
As I said, it's a NEXUS line, not a GE line.

If you can prove your trustworthiness with a GE card, they let you in. But you are not the person the line was created for. You do not have a NEXUS membership.

And if YVR is apparently able to give expedited security to GE members with a stamp, why can't YYZ do so? This is preclearance after all, i.e. to US standards, so if the US want to give GE members expedited security why should we suddenly be using mixed standards again?
No. At YVR, Altitude members and people in business class get a sticker.

The NEXUS line is separate, and also requires your card.

CATSA is run by the Canadian government, not the US government. They have a NEXUS line, not a GE line.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
As I said, it's a NEXUS line, not a GE line.

If you can prove your trustworthiness with a GE card, they let you in. But you are not the person the line was created for. You do not have a NEXUS membership.
I've just done some more research, and discovered that yes, GE is officially recognised for preclearance:
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/using-your-nexus-card

I guess I have to contact CATSA to clarify how I'm actually supposed to make use of this benefit as a non-US GE member (although I've also come across american GE members who've never received cards).

Last edited by televisor; May 2, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.