333 - Is it Mini-J Cabin or J Mini-Cabin?

Subscribe
I'm scheduled on two 333 (YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR) flights in a couple of days and am trying for an U/G on both flights. I've noticed the 333 on both flights is the 7-row J type with the 'mini-cabin' for rows 7 & 8 (no row 6 in AC's numbering).

I've only ever flown in the front 'main' J cabin after another UG about a year ago on AC's 333 so haven't seen this mini-cabin but reading on the threads here and on SeatGuru, it seems there are some negative opinions of this mini-cabin. I'm seeing comments like: "smaller seat pitch than the normal cabin", "used as a playground for FAs", etc.

However, I can't seem to find anything definitive for the following:

Just how much smaller is the seat pitch for this section (i.e. is this really "Mini-J" rather than a mini-cabin of J )?

Is there an actual bulkhead or a curtain or what between this section and the main Y section? None of the seat maps seem to show anything there.

When looking for what seats show available in J on my flights with ITN I see only this section available for window seats otherwise it's middle seats for the front section.

I'm hesitant to book in a middle seat given there isn't any overhead storage from what I have read and am likely going to have to bring all my luggage as carry-on as I've booked for the patented Terminal-to-Bus-to-Terminal-to-Customs-to-Security-to-Bus-to-Terminal AC service for a transborder Jazz flight with a tight connection in YYZ.

Anyone been in this area on a recent flight or otherwise have any opinions?
Don't worry about the mini J cabin. YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR flights scheduled as 333 are almost always serviced by domestic 767s.
Quote: Don't worry about the mini J cabin. YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR flights scheduled as 333 are almost always serviced by domestic 767s.
What situations would cause the equipment to be downgraded to a 767 on this flight? I flew the 333 from YYZ to YVR a couple weeks ago. Hope to be on it again Monday night.
Flew in mini-J on a recent FRA-YYZ segment. Row 7 window - definitely less legroom than bulkhead in the very front, so getting out was a bit of a climb over the aisle passenger. Not sure if row 8 would be better. Other than that, the reduced seat pitch was not really noticable. That being said, I did not recline the seat very far, since there was no need to sleep. I presume the difference may become more of an inconvenience during a night flight.

Great service from the FAs. Food service began in mini-J, so we got the cookies while they were at their hottest. Mmmhh. Great atmosphere in the small cabin, feels very private. It's separated from Y with the usual walls and curtains.

Can't exactly recall the availability of overhead storage. I'd definitely book it again if there were no windows left further up front.

Quote: I'm scheduled on two 333 (YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR) flights in a couple of days and am trying for an U/G on both flights. I've noticed the 333 on both flights is the 7-row J type with the 'mini-cabin' for rows 7 & 8 (no row 6 in AC's numbering).

I've only ever flown in the front 'main' J cabin after another UG about a year ago on AC's 333 so haven't seen this mini-cabin but reading on the threads here and on SeatGuru, it seems there are some negative opinions of this mini-cabin. I'm seeing comments like: "smaller seat pitch than the normal cabin", "used as a playground for FAs", etc.

However, I can't seem to find anything definitive for the following:

Just how much smaller is the seat pitch for this section (i.e. is this really "Mini-J" rather than a mini-cabin of J )?

Is there an actual bulkhead or a curtain or what between this section and the main Y section? None of the seat maps seem to show anything there.

When looking for what seats show available in J on my flights with ITN I see only this section available for window seats otherwise it's middle seats for the front section.

I'm hesitant to book in a middle seat given there isn't any overhead storage from what I have read and am likely going to have to bring all my luggage as carry-on as I've booked for the patented Terminal-to-Bus-to-Terminal-to-Customs-to-Security-to-Bus-to-Terminal AC service for a transborder Jazz flight with a tight connection in YYZ.

Anyone been in this area on a recent flight or otherwise have any opinions?
I flew in the 333 mini-J cabin last year, CDG-YUL.

No complaints whatsoever. Didn't notice any significant shortage of leg room and, like FRAkid, found the cabin had a more private feel.

One tiny detail: if you pre-board to the mini-J cabin there is a great deal of traffic down the aisles to the Y seats during general boarding. You don't get that if you're in the forward J cabin. Not a big deal, in my opinion.
I thought that this changed awhile back
Quote: Flew in mini-J on a recent FRA-YYZ segment. Row 7 window - definitely less legroom than bulkhead in the very front, so getting out was a bit of a climb over the aisle passenger. Not sure if row 8 would be better. Other than that, the reduced seat pitch was not really noticable. That being said, I did not recline the seat very far, since there was no need to sleep. I presume the difference may become more of an inconvenience during a night flight.
With pitch adjustments having been made to be the same as the front cabin. I think I remeber this info being shared here, then again I am an old guy...
Quote: Don't worry about the mini J cabin. YVR-YYZ/YYZ-YVR flights scheduled as 333 are almost always serviced by domestic 767s.
I'd disagree on that. I have flown that route several times in the past year and have never had plane switched on me.
Quote: I'd disagree on that. I have flown that route several times in the past year and have never had plane switched on me.
I'm being a bit cynical. It just seems like every time I'm on AC142 it ends up being a 767. But I'm not a frequent YVR-YYZ pax (only 8 or 9 trips this year) so my sample is small.

But the last time this happened I was giving the in-charge a hard time about it (in a good natured way) and she just rolled her eyes and said "yeah, tell me about it" and proceeded to tell me about what an unreliable a/c she thought the A330 is and how it is constantly being switched to a 767. So I think there's more to it than just my perception.
Just don't take 5K.

It's supposed to be an awesome seat according to SeatGuru, and does have a great pitch. But the freakin' toilet is right behind it, and I spent 8 hrs on one in this seat and while trying to sleep, that's all I could hear.
The mini J cabin can be noisy due to its close proximity to the galley in front and the Economy cabin in the rear.
Quote: Just don't take 5K.

It's supposed to be an awesome seat according to SeatGuru, and does have a great pitch. But the freakin' toilet is right behind it, and I spent 8 hrs on one in this seat and while trying to sleep, that's all I could hear.
I'm in 5H on monday, but it's only 4+ hours, but I could see that being annoying.
Quote: I'd disagree on that. I have flown that route several times in the past year and have never had plane switched on me.
I trust you could sense the sarcasm from AB?

Lucky you then... I have been downgraded (not at shore9's incredible 80% downgrade rate - 4/5) on the YYZ/YVR route especially on the 333 flights... and I used to do this route almost weekly.
Thanks all for your experiences and comments.

Sounds like I won't suffer if I do end up in the Mini-Cabin for the short-ish YVR-YYZ flight....assuming it actually will be a 330 and I don't get bumped because they run out of J seats for 'real' J pax!

Wonder if they'll provide us cookies on the Eastbound leg (effectively after breakfast!) like they do on the Westbound. I hope so because otherwise I'll be running on empty by the time I get off of my transborder connection (with a 'luxurious' 65 minute connection time in YYZ! )
Quote: Thanks all for your experiences and comments.

Sounds like I won't suffer if I do end up in the Mini-Cabin for the short-ish YVR-YYZ flight....assuming it actually will be a 330 and I don't get bumped because they run out of J seats for 'real' J pax!

Wonder if they'll provide us cookies on the Eastbound leg (effectively after breakfast!) like they do on the Westbound. I hope so because otherwise I'll be running on empty by the time I get off of my transborder connection (with a 'luxurious' 65 minute connection time in YYZ! )
All YYZ/YVR YVR/YYZ except redeye flights in J offer the cookies 'n ice cream... and yes, even on the early morning flights going eastbound. Unless that has changed since my weekly jaunts ended two months ago.
Quote: Just don't take 5K.
Really gotta disagree with that. Possibly the most comfortable AC flight I've ever had was in 5K. I have a memo in my Blackberry to do anything to get that seat when on a 330.

I've only sat in 5K once, and perhaps this is not normal, but it was a true 180 degrees lie-flat seat. I really didn't notice the noise from the lav. Perhaps the Bose QC2s helped.

I hate the mini J cabin. I would pick a middle seat in the main J cabin over any seat in the mini J cabin.