OT: Help with car hire charges

Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
OT: Help with car hire charges

Hi all

Just come back from an amazing holiday in BC and Alberta, drove from Calgary to Vancouver via Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper and Kelowna. Had an amazing time and best of all the weather was fantastic, we were so lucky.

I just have a quick question that I wonder if anyone can help me with (OT as stated in the message header, but it related to Canadian car hire - and I did take an AC flight during the holiday ).

We hired a car from Alamo through holidayautos.com (a UK website). We have been charged both by them and Alamo for various different things and I just wanted to check that the charges are not unreasonable.

Basically, the total charge is about CAD 800. We had a Sebring Touring for one week (7 days exactly) picked up at YYC, dropped off at YVR. Definite charges included in the 800 that we know about are CAD 200 for the one way drop-off and CAD 80 for late drop-off.

Does that charge sound reasonable? I'm not an expert on car hire charges in Canada, but it just seemed a little high from my previous (one time only) experience?

Any help/advice you could give me would be most appreciated, I hate the idea that I might have been fleeced somewhere down the line!!

Many thanks
PhilH
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd say C$520 is a reasonable deal for the basic rental (as I assume this included all the insurances).

However C$200 does seem a bit steep for the one way drop fee. I hired an SUV from Alamo (booked direct) in downtown Vancouver and dropped at YYC a week later over last Christmas and think it cost under C$600 all in.

Will see if I can find an e-mail confirmation of the price & post back

Edited to add: I paid GBP43 a day last year, including all taxes and the drop fee.

Working out very similar prices with Hertz this year too - I tried to see what kind of car you had on the web (don't know the marque myself) but ended up with a load of spyware on my PC so that's 2 hrs wasted as I cleaned it up!

I've found in the past that travel agents have a degree of flexibility with Alamo on the one way drop fees and I think this is where you've been really caught out (having personally had Trailfinders get Alamo to drop the one way fee on a Tucson-Reno rental to match another agent)

If you look on alamo.co.uk, they offer a Grand Am for this run (Admittedly in November) at C$480 incl. a tank of gas and all fees/insurances. A Buick LeSabre runs at C$772.

Also, when renting through Wexas, i've pre-paid the car through them, but then had to pay the one way drop fee direct to the rental company (Hertz that time, I think).

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Oct 19, 2004 at 6:54 am
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Being that I just rented a Sebring in Edmonton for $20/day CAD, it seems VERY high but not necessarily unreasonable, ie. what rate was it booked at?

Just plugging in numbers for next week and no discount codes on Alamo site for a Premium auto, renting in Calgary with drop off in Vancouver:

Base Rate - Premium (CAD)
(1) Time & Distance ($556.00/Week) $556.00
Rate/Product Code AWD1CA
Inclusive Rate Items
Guaranteed Base Rate Included
Unlimited Kilometers Included

For information on coverage products, ex:Collision Damage Waiver(CDW) click here

Subtotal $556.00

Additional Drivers 0 1 2 Number of additional drivers($10.00/Day) $0.00
For Information on additional drivers, click here.
For Information on age requirements and exceptions, click here.
Subtotal $0.00
Additional Items 0 1 2 Child/toddler Seat( $5.99/Day) $0.00
0 1 2 Infant Seat( $5.99/Day) $0.00
Collision Damage Waiver Full ($25.95/Day) $0.00
Upfront Fuel ($0.74/l) $0.00
The total prepaid gas charge reflected is an estimate based on
the current prices and maximum tank size for the car class reserved.
This charge may change at time of rental.
Subtotal $0.00
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees Concession Recoup Fee 12.67 % $71.18
Vehicle Lic Fee/air Tax Recovery $5.82
Ca Goods & Svces Tax Alberta (7.0%) $44.31
Subtotal $121.31

You have made changes to the additional items selected. You must calculate your new total before confirming this reservation.
Calculate Estimated Total Estimated Total $677.31
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I could get an SUV from Avis for $500 including tax for the same time period. Drop charge is $225 and is about normal.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Many thanks for all your prompt and informative replies (and sorry for the spyware issue Swiss Tony, I feel guilty now!)

Looks like, while I haven't exactly got the best deal, I haven't been diddled either, so I'll go with it. There are three of us splitting the cost anyway, so its a small price to pay for such an excellent holiday in such an excellent country (I'm not being obsequious seriously Canada is the best country I've ever been to). I'm very jealous of my friends from the UK who are now living in Vancouver!

Have a good day everyone.

PhilH
Old Oct 19, 2004, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PhilH
Many thanks for all your prompt and informative replies (and sorry for the spyware issue Swiss Tony, I feel guilty now!)

PhilH
Well, i'll let you off this time

Seriously though, I share your thoughts on Canada, hence the reason we're going back for the third New Year running, and i'm also pitching in another quick holiday trip in 3 weeks time to the frozen North!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:24 pm

Glad that you had such a good time

That drive you did is something that I recommend every Canadian should do once in their lives. It is indescribable IMHO. Glad the weather was so good. btw, I quite my job in YYZ to move to YYC after coming out here one too many time on business.

As for your rate. Well it's like you said, not the best out there but you didn't get diddled either
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:39 pm
B1

Drop Charges YYC-YVR

For some reason most people think that it is appropriate to go from YYC to YVR with their rental cars, not the other way. So I imagine the Trans Canada is filled with auto transports with rental cars being sent back to YYC. I don't know why the preference exists - maybe it is downhill, maybe they are under the impression that is shorter in one direction because of tail winds, or maybe there is a tour book. Whatever the case, if drop charges are an issue, check in both directions before making an unchangeable plane reservation. My guess is that they might even pay YOU to drop off in YYC from YVR. As for my own preferences, the best trip starts and ends in YYC with most of the travel NW then SE return, so you see both sides - and the very best parts are when you get out and walk - in any direction. Not to mention the Canadian Shield. the Gaspe. Newfoundland...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.