Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-LHR Dayliner experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Question YYZ-LHR Dayliner experiences

For you regular x-Atlantic folks... how have you found going out on the Dayliner and then having meetings during the day the next day, say in the afternoon? I did very badly on my YYZ-VIE last year, so don't intend to do an overnight flight again.

Simon
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't done the dayliner before because I've usually had to connect to something (a bus or a flight), but I would recommend it. And since your meeting is in the afternoon, it is perfect. You get into LHR at 2130 or so. You'll think it's 1530, except since you've been sitting on the plane all day, you'll want to take the tube and head out to a pub in Central London, have a dinner (fish and chips 'cause that's all they know how to cook well, those Brits ), grab a beer and before you know it, it'll be midnight and you'll want to crash.

I think it's perfect.

Oh, and on the next day, if you make it to Picadilly Circus around 2100 or so, there should be a bunch of folks making pretty cool music on the south side in front of the fountain. I think they usually bang on garbage cans, pots, and pans if I remember correctly. LE probably knows it better than I do. And of course, Sunday afternoons in Hyde Park for Speaker's Corner is absolutely hilarious.

(Boy, I miss London... I think it's time to go back for a weekend.)
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:47 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Personally I am much better on this flight than those overnight flights. Even if you skip dinner or take the quick meal option, those overnight flights only get you a few hours of sleep. Your body will still think it's the middle of the night by the time you arrive. Add in a bit of delay here and there, you'll be ready to crash by the time you arrive. Only bright side is that it saves you a night of hotel.

The Dayliner lets you get a good night of sleep in before starting the day fresh.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:51 pm

I've done the Dayliner twice and I recommend it. Much less jet lag. In February I took it over on a Wednesday, flew to Berlin Thursday, worked Thursday afternoon, Friday and Saturday morning, back to London saturday afternoon and back home Sunday. I was much less affected than I would have been on an overnight flight. I was back at work in good shape on Monday.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
If you've got the time to spend the day in the air, the dayliner is the way to go. They serve breakfast very soon after takeoff, no pre-breakfast drinks and snacks , so there's lots of time to work on the rest of the trip. Then when you arrive you can go to bed right away and be ready for the next day.

I wouldn't count on doing much pubbing after you get in. Unless you take the Airport Express and check-in quickly, by the time you are ready to go out to the pubs, they will have closed.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Daytime is the way to go

If you would rather fly west-coast/east coast during the day, then do the same across the pond.

I have only done it a few times and with the exception of reduced pub hours on arrival, it really is the way to go. Even if you have to make a connection to somewhere on the mainland, flights the next morning can get you there in very good time.

Last edited by Cloud Lounger; Jul 26, 2004 at 9:10 pm
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
The AC 'DayLighter' YYZ/LHR looks OK if terminating at LHR, - not so good if you want an onward same day connection within the UK or to Europe.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:32 pm

I've seen some AC itineraries suggested by ITASoftware.com that involve taking a redeye YVR-YYZ flight, followed by this Dayliner flight. Ugh!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I've seen some AC itineraries suggested by ITASoftware.com that involve taking a redeye YVR-YYZ flight, followed by this Dayliner flight. Ugh!
I did this itinerary more than a few times when it was CP. Not too bad if you were in a Club Empress seat, and as others said, quite suitable for getting to London and going to work the nxt day.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mrs. ACysb87 loves this flight and wants to use this flight as our 1st leg of our visit to UK and Europe.

We have gone the overnight route and she is lost for days as she cannot sleep on planes.

I usually grab a light dinner,with beer,and call it a day by mid-night local time.
Catch an early flight to Europe and we are running and on local time. ^

I find the longer day return more difficult to adjust to.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:17 pm
DJC

Programs: AC - Super Elite, AA - Platinum, DL - Basic, HHonors - Gold, SPG - Platinum, Fairmont - Gold
Originally Posted by Simon
For you regular x-Atlantic folks... how have you found going out on the Dayliner and then having meetings during the day the next day, say in the afternoon? I did very badly on my YYZ-VIE last year, so don't intend to do an overnight flight again.

Simon
Living in the UK, I try to get AC's YYZ-LHR or UA's IAD-LHR Dayliner flights whenever I can because I prefer them infinitely over the overnight flights. I can honestly say that I have coped with the jetlag much better coming off an economy seat on the Dayliner than a First class seat on a UA overnight flight.

My trick is to try to stay awake for the duration of the flight such that, by the time I get in the door in London, I can watch TV for half an hour and then get to bed. With an afternoon meeting, this should be perfect for you as it will also give you a leisurely morning.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I currently planning on taking the Dayliner flight next February (leisure trip which I am hoping to upgrade from a H class fare using *A Upgrade Vouchers (issued in the UK)).

Any opinions as to how popular this flight usually is compared to the other YYZ-LHR flights on a Sunday? I will probably go for it anyway as I like the daytime crossing eastbound, but am curious to know of any recent experiences.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite BA Blue
Originally Posted by House
I currently planning on taking the Dayliner flight next February (leisure trip which I am hoping to upgrade from a H class fare using *A Upgrade Vouchers (issued in the UK)).

Any opinions as to how popular this flight usually is compared to the other YYZ-LHR flights on a Sunday? I will probably go for it anyway as I like the daytime crossing eastbound, but am curious to know of any recent experiences.
I have done this flight several times and it was more or less full each flight. I flew the February just gone on it 3 times and was upgraded 2 out of the 3 flights. Watch out for the weekend that is the end of school half term in the UK - the flight will be full of kids returning to the UK.

Also you will be using the *A cert which is an at gate/checkin U/G so you will be bottom of the list
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drwoodsy
I have done this flight several times and it was more or less full each flight. I flew the February just gone on it 3 times and was upgraded 2 out of the 3 flights. Watch out for the weekend that is the end of school half term in the UK - the flight will be full of kids returning to the UK.

Also you will be using the *A cert which is an at gate/checkin U/G so you will be bottom of the list
Many thanks for this - I'll be heading back to London just as the half term starts (around 15 February), so should avoid the worst of the UK traffic . I am a bit more concerned that I might clash with scholl or college vacations in Canada (though I think I am safe on that one too).

At the end of the day I'm happy to chance it unless someone tells me that taking the evening flights is much more likely to be successful using a standby upgrade. I will also be checking in a long time before the flight (connecting off a red eye flight from YYC).
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

House, I think you will not only just miss the half term starts for UK unis, but you will just skim by reading week for most Canadian unis. I think there are a few unis who have their reading week that week. Others have it the week after.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.