Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canadian landed immigrants need to carry residency card - intl. travel after Dec 31?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian landed immigrants need to carry residency card - intl. travel after Dec 31?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
http://shorterlink.com/?K4GNP5

Hey Biggles can you delete your link and add this one so we don't have the wide screen effect?

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
The only time the card is exempt for now is when travelling by road between US and Canada.</font>
And this makes sense because....
Old Dec 15, 2003, 7:42 am

Programs: AC E SPG Gold
It may be of interest to anyone caught in this situation to report my timeline in applying for citizenship:
Applied - mid-Jan
Test - early Oct
Ceremony - next Friday (note to self - brush up on words to Oh Canada)
Applying for passport - next Friday
On my last few trips back to YYZ, the Customs/Immigration officers have been helpful in pointing out the new PR card requirement.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:25 am

There is a huge public relations/campaign problem associated with all this. The issue has been widely reported in ethnic media (notably Chinese, and I'm sure Italian and Portuguese as well) for &gt;1 year. It's just something that the ethnic journalists would pick up and spread among their communities. Yet, it wasn't apparent to the government that they need to do more campaign to get the attention of people who follow the mainstream media and who are landed immigrants.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/12/31/residency031231

OTTAWA - The new year means new rules for permanent residents of Canada. Permanent residents, not Canadian citizens, are now required to have a plastic identity card for international travel.

Also:

http://canada.com/national/story.asp...C-D5B1775D5190

Confusion over a new federal immigration rule is so bad that it's threatening to strand Canadian landed immigrants at foreign airports today.

[This message has been edited by tcook052 (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 6:58 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
It is all a bloody mess. I must resubmit my forms again because my original Australian passport does not have the passport number on the ID pages?????

Even though my original Landed Immigrant papers are okay. I hate this stuff! It is obvious that the Canadian authorities are playing the high hand here.

I will just continue to enter Canada as a tourist. Since Canada does not check passengers leaving the country, the whole exercise of immigration to get into Canada is a moot point. It is the easiest country in the world to get into and stay - a laughing stock of the world.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
It is all a bloody mess. I must resubmit my forms again because my original Australian passport does not have the passport number on the ID pages?????
</font>
Does that put you back at the bottom of the queue? (I signed my form with a grteen pen. When looking at the check list before mailing the stuff -late- I figured out I should have used a black pen. Sent it anyway. We'll see.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> I will just continue to enter Canada as a tourist. Since Canada does not check passengers leaving the country, the whole exercise of immigration to get into Canada is a moot point. It is the easiest country in the world to get into and stay - a laughing stock of the world.[/B]</font>
That's presumably OK if your address is abroad. Mine is here and I got so many RR stamps in my passport that they would presumably notice. Although I would think the airlines might not notice and I would have to deal with the issue upon arrival. At YYC they might even be reasonable...

Anyway, for now I am canceling any travel that's not absolutely necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.