Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada Customs Card Coding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Canada Customs Card Coding

Is anybody here familar with what the alphanumeric coding that the customs agent writes on your "Welcome to Canada" card means? I once knew a border guard who worked at Windsor. She told me that YYZ uses a different coding scheme than them, but generally speaking, the higher the number that they write on your card, the worse it is. This seems to jive with what I've seen....mostly people have R11 and R23 written on their customs cards. I've always wondered what those two codes meant though.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:02 am

I've often wondered about this too and have heard various theories. I know the R stands for Resident.

I think the number is completely random, meaning NO SEARCH REQUIRED, and that they pick a SPECIFIC number on any given day that becomes the code for SEARCH REQUIRED.

Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:02 am

Programs: None. I'm cured.
The number is randomly chosen and changes daily.

Other than R for resident and V for visitor, the number either gets you a secondary or walks you out the door.

(the brother of an old ex-girlfriend of mine worked for Canada Customs at YYZ. We had a few good conversations.)

MCM.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:56 am

It used to be any number divisible by 9 is okay, no secondary inspection necessary. So I used to get R99 and R88 quite a bit.

Now I get V99 often as a visitor since I moved, usually numbers divisible by 9.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
You are wasting your time trying to figure this out.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
You are wasting your time trying to figure this out.</font>
Couldn't agree more. Keep the shfincter firmly clenched till you have exited the customs hall
Old Nov 20, 2003, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taupo:
Couldn't agree more. Keep the shfincter firmly clenched till you have exited the customs hall </font>
I don't know if that's such a good idea. One of the things customs look for is an irregular gait. Sounds like a recipe for a rubber glove search to me
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by notam:
I don't know if that's such a good idea. One of the things customs look for is an irregular gait. Sounds like a recipe for a rubber glove search to me </font>
What if you're suffering from Montezuma's revenge?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 8:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It used to be any number divisible by 9 is okay, no secondary inspection necessary. So I used to get R99 and R88 quite a bit.</font>
If that's the case, then I presume you got sent to secondary perhaps half the time.

BTW, I have an "irregular gate" due to old leg injuries. I've never been sent to secondary for it. (And if I had, based on an injury, I suspect there'd be hell to pay.)
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
No it doesn't change daily... it changes every shift!

It's a random code and it basically cannot be deciphered.

But you should worry when an immigration officer puts "LLPOF" on your Customs Declaration.

It's a true incident as per my Customs Officer friend. It stands for Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! Guess where that poor sod ended up?
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
LLPOF...he he

Never used that one as a CI - too easy to figure out and thus too risky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.