Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 18, 03, 8:31 pm   #1

Programs: Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold
Can Canadian residents(no US mailing address) - get US credit cards?

I own a Citibank AAdvantage Visa credit card - obviously no bank branches in Canada.

I am trying to apply for a Marriott visa credit card - I was told as a nonUS resident, I am not eligible.

What is the true situation of nonAmerican residents (eg Canadians) - with no US mailing address/post office box - of being able to apply to credit cards, issued by a US bank?
FlyerGoldII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 03, 8:42 pm   #2
Suspended

MBNA does allow Canadian residents to apply for a US Credit Card, ie the Lufthansa Card without a US Address. Not sure about any other bank though.

FYI the Lufthansa card is only available in the US and is not offered through MBNA Canada.

------------------
Friends don't let friends fly Air Canada.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 03, 9:28 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyerGoldII
I am with you on the Marriott card.
Have wanted one for years,alas I need a US address.
Old Oct 18, 03, 11:01 pm   #4

Very hard to do, especially because you are unlikely to have a suitable US 'credit score' without adequate presence/address/job/social security number there. I have a US SSN, suitable non-immigrant residency (L1) working visa, and substantive business operations/banking relationships in the US. My US bank suggested they might be able to pull strings to get a credit card, but could I live with a Visa debit card instead? So that 'works' for me -- but no true US credit card even now.
marbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 03, 9:18 am   #5

I don't know about this specific card, but I am sure the rules may vary.
I have two different US-issued credit cards. One with a US PO-box address (to deal with those pesky people who will only take payment with credit cards with US billing addresses), the second is with my old credit unit and they use my Canadian mailing address. I could have easily had both credit cards use my Canadian mailing / billing address. Living only a few kilometres from the border, the PO box is no big deal. Living much further north, there might be a service (e.g., MailBoxEtc) that might forward the contents of a PO box for a fee.
BCbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 03, 12:56 pm   #6

Programs: Marriott Gold, AA Plat 1MM
I don't believe there is any general rule - it is up to the company issuing the card whether to impose a residency requirement. Many Canadians who live near the border or winter in Florida have JC Penney cards, for example. Marriott prefers a US address for some reason.

I too have always wanted the Marriott card, as it is one of the more difficult programs to accumulate points in without one.