Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

AARP for Canadians - what are the benefits?/also Canadian alternative?

Old Aug 9, 2003, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

The heading is self-explanatory - what does membership in AARP provide to Canadian travellers, in terms of benefits? Is there is an equivalent Canadian organization - if so, what travel benefits does it provide?
Old Aug 9, 2003, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Cdn version is CARP first known as Canadian Association of Retired Persons and now known as the Canadian Association of Fifty Plus. Membership begins at 50.

http://www.50plus.com/carp/about/main.cfm

I have been a member for a while. I first took up membership because they gave me 50% off my yearly RRSP brokerage fees. I saved $$$$.
I also joined to support an association that lobbies for seniors. After all, I will be a senior soon. They have a travel program and discounts on hotels plus other benefits:
http://www.50plus.com/carp/member/services.cfm

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 08-09-2003).]
Old Aug 9, 2003, 8:57 am
At Large

I have been a member of AARP for six months and don't see the value for Canadians.
Thanks AB320 I will check out CARP--hope its not too FISHY.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:05 am

Programs: AC*SE
Holy crap, you guys are old !!

Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:20 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
is'nt this internet thing strange, I had a mental image of parnel as a young man in his early twenties.

You must write Young

Stewart
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:24 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SCMM:
is'nt this internet thing strange, I had a mental image of parnel as a young man in his early twenties.

You must write Young

Stewart
</font>
Life begins at 50--wait and see
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
There are some worthwhile hotel discounts with AARP, particularly in Europe with BestWesterns. 20% adds up to a free night over the course of a week stay, and they have some good properties over there.

Of course AARP is designed for the needs of American retirees. And most here have similar rate benefits for rental cars and other hotel chains through their businesses or elite status programs.

CARP used to have an additional discount off AC fares, but I don't believe this exists any longer, since AC has made such discounts more widespread.

Remember, these organizations are primarily lobbying entities to advocate on the part of the members. The services and discounts are a sideline to lure more members so their lobbying efforts can be said to be done on behalf of many more people than would otherwise join such an organization. Keeping the fee to $10 to $20 a year also makes it affordable.

Both have monthly or bi-monthly magazines and newsletters as well with articles they feel will be useful for their readership. Increasingly, they are dealing with issues affecting "younger seniors" in their 50s who must cope with their "older senior" parents in their 70s and 80s.
Old Aug 9, 2003, 4:46 pm

Stewart, only if you knew the hood parnel lives in! Oakville.

I imagined him to be a snooty 50+ semi retired guy who always flies first class, smokes nothing but Havanas, has few million frequent flyer miles with 2-3 airlines and rides around town in limos.

[This message has been edited by Karmic Flyer (edited 08-09-2003).]
Old Aug 9, 2003, 5:26 pm

Poated by Karmic flyer:
"50+ semi retired guy who always flies first class, smokes nothing but Havanas, has few million frequent flyer miles with 2-3 airlines and rides around town in limos."

He thinks it's Parnel and here I thought all along it was Ferrari
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:24 pm
At Large

Quote by karmic flyer;
smokes nothing but Havanas
You got the Havanas right on---smoked a 13 inch long double Corona tonight fresh from Cuba along with a very nice "Poire William" out of the freezer at a local Oakville resturant's patio listening to music playing on Lakeshore for the local Jazz festival.
Ah summer in Canada!!!!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
I am going to rehash this post now 12 years after it has been started. Now that it is 2015 and I travel around the world is it beneficial to join AARP as a Canadian or CARP? I see that AARP has more hotel discounts and even expedia. CARP has choice hotels and Avis and Hertz. AARP has Avis but no Hertz.

As a Canadian I see that the AARP site charges 17US$ to sign up which isn't bad. Also, they give discounts on BA! Anyone have experience? I rent cars lots too. Thnaks

ps...maybe this post doesn't belong in Air Canada
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
It isn't so has been relocated to the Canada forum for further input.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am going to rehash this post now 12 years after it has been started. Now that it is 2015 and I travel around the world is it beneficial to join AARP as a Canadian or CARP? I see that AARP has more hotel discounts and even expedia. CARP has choice hotels and Avis and Hertz. AARP has Avis but no Hertz.

As a Canadian I see that the AARP site charges 17US$ to sign up which isn't bad. Also, they give discounts on BA! Anyone have experience? I rent cars lots too. Thnaks

There are many more discount available to AARP members than CARP. As they are not affiliated associations CARP card WILL NOT get you AARP discounts.

If you travel to US at all the membership fee will be beneficial even after one short trip.

NB: there are many discounts with AARP that you cannot take advantage of even as a member being a Canadian resident unless you have ways around it.

I find my AARP membership better value than the CARP.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:37 am

I noticed AARP signup has Canadian provinces AND $17 USD/1 year membership also, from OMATT $1000 J fare to Europe R/T (Save $400 with AARP)

That'd be the only benefit if we want to pay for position to ex-USA flights/deals
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Originally Posted by tentseller
T

NB: there are many discounts with AARP that you cannot take advantage of even as a member being a Canadian resident unless you have ways around it.
I am not sure what you mean here. Do you have to prove residency in the US for some discounts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.