Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

SE Acknowlegement or Am I Just Being A Princess

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC S100K, Emirates Gold, Marriott Platinum, Accor All Platinum, Nexus, Global Entry

Earlier this month I did two TATL flights, both in Y (could not get an upgrade on either! ). In the past when I have flown long haul in Y, the service director generally will come by and introduce themselves and welcomes me aboard yet on neither of these flights did this happen. To either myself or the other SE sitting next to me and I have to admit, it frustrated me. It's not a DYKWIA thing but rather an acknowledgement for being a loyal customer and a feeling "special" thing for me.

Do they normally? Are they supposed to? Or am I just being a princess about this?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never expected anything special when sitting in Y.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by yyclady
Earlier this month I did two TATL flights, both in Y (could not get an upgrade on either! ). In the past when I have flown long haul in Y, the service director generally will come by and introduce themselves and welcomes me aboard yet on neither of these flights did this happen. To either myself or the other SE sitting next to me and I have to admit, it frustrated me. It's not a DYKWIA thing but rather an acknowledgement for being a loyal customer and a feeling "special" thing for me.

Do they normally? Are they supposed to? Or am I just being a princess about this?
Personally, never been acknowledged in Y or PY...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never expected anything special when sitting in Y.
+1 same here
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: TK *G
They occasionally mention that for SEs in PY, but that seems to the exception than the norm.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
When I travel in Y (single cabin flights) they will occasionally call me by name, but they don't really recognize anything beyond that. Unless the FA recognizes me from a previous flight, then they do appear to give a greater recognition.

And, no disrespect intended, isn't wanting them to recognize your status the same as wanting then to know who you are? Just sayin........
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Princess
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
LOL. You have delusions of grandeur if you expect the SD who is dealing with the 3-5 self important time monopolizers in J and the usual onboard issues, to have time to pop down to Y and offer some insincere words.

The SE priority checkin, priority baggage, priority security, concierge service, and MLL access should be sufficient to say to you, thank you for flying on Air Canada.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

You being acknowledged or greeted in Y is not the norm. Whenever I get greeted in Y by the SD I see it as I nice gesture and am pleasantly surprised.

Plus, I suspect you won't get much sympathy from many here...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You being acknowledged or greeted in Y is not the norm. Whenever I get greeted in Y by the SD I see it as I nice gesture and am pleasantly surprised.
What, SE in Y?

But seriously, even in J, it's not 100%.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: *$ Green

100% princess.

I agree, it's nice. But you did say it yourself, it's just to feel good and feel recognized (aka DYKWIA). It's not like you're getting anything.

In a certain sense, FAs and SDs could say "hey, we go out of our way for you, and you never acknowledge us", and we'd say " well it's your job deal with it".

So I guess that by getting perks like priority standby, check in, lounge access, eups etc, we are actually getting recognized. Everyting else is fluff and ego when you really think about it. (Like think about it, why would the SD seeing you affect you in any way? The only thing you get is to portray to others that you are more important to the airline than others.)

Nevertheless, it's absolutely a nice gesture when they do it. I personally prefer if they don't (the more discreet they can be with me, the better it is), but I get that this is personal preference.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
LOL. You have delusions of grandeur if you expect the SD who is dealing with the 3-5 self important time monopolizers in J and the usual onboard issues, to have time to pop down to Y and offer some insincere words.

The SE priority checkin, priority baggage, priority security, concierge service, and MLL access should be sufficient to say to you, thank you for flying on Air Canada.
Yeah. How dare she ask this question. How dare she want to be recognied for spending a lot of money with a company.

How could she even dare.

Delusional and pathetic.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I'd say I get the "hello" from the SD the majority of the time when I'm in PE and only sporadically when in international Y and almost never domestic.

Not an expectation, but a nice touch when they do it.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, my SE status rarely draws any comment, whether in Y or in J. So I'd say you're being a princess.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
I rarely get it in j on tpac flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.