Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Passengers not in J putting their luggage in J's overhead bins

Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K; *G; VIPorter Priority; HHonors Gold; Fairmont President's Club Premier; Nexus

This has always annoyed me, even when I'm not sitting up front. It really annoys me when I am sitting up front and board a bit later and there's no room for my carry-on.

This morning though, for the first time I've seen, a flight attendant made a passenger remove his bag after he put it up front and then walked to the back of the plane.

This should happen every time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:01 am

If you search the forums, you will see this as a common problem... Some people have come up with creative solutions...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:22 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Self-upgrading bags... Yes, definitely a problem and nice to see AC stepping up enforcement. Still a ways to go to match the vigilance of the US3 on that front though.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:49 am

This happened yesterday on my ORD-YUL flight. But it happened only after all of the J class passengers had been seated. There was (surprisingly) still room in the overhead bin, so it didn't really bother me that someone put their bag in J class. They were clearly out of room in coach.

This was my first time on the E175. I didn't realize just how small the overhead bins are in J class on the port side of the aircraft. For this reason, I checked my bag on the return since I just didn't feel like worrying about space filling up. It turns out there J class was only half full, so checking my bag was not necessary. The good news is that it took all of three minutes for my bag to show up on the carousel once I got there.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Pet peeve of mine, too.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
This bothers me...

But: On my recent narrowbody flights, I've noticed the FA's have been quite vigilant about this issue.

For example: I flew SEA-YYC, and we needed to ride a bus to the plane. So zoned boarding was no-go. When I boarded the Q400 (no J, but preferred seats at the front), the FA had closed the first 3 bins. The bins were empty, but she asked to see the boarding pass of everyone who tried to put bags in the front bins. So despite boarding half way into boarding, I still got my roller bag into the overhead above my row 1 seat!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
For example: I flew SEA-YYC, and we needed to ride a bus to the plane. So zoned boarding was no-go. When I boarded the Q400 (no J, but preferred seats at the front), the FA had closed the first 3 bins. The bins were empty, but she asked to see the boarding pass of everyone who tried to put bags in the front bins. So despite boarding half way into boarding, I still got my roller bag into the overhead above my row 1 seat!
I like this!

But my guess is that this is a one-off occurrence- ie that FA only....though I would like to see it more!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is nowhere near as common in Canada as it is in the US, based on my observation.

Worst I have seen lately has been a guy in the first row of Y placing his bag, immediately in front of the curtain.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
Worst I have seen lately has been a guy in the first row of Y placing his bag, immediately in front of the curtain.
I almost think it's ok in this case if there is no room in the Y bins near him and there is in J. But they should definitely crack down on people who just drop their bag at the front (whether in J or near the front of Y) without even trying to find space near their seats in the back.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Stranger
I'm sometimes that guy in the first row of Y, with no floor storage for my briefcase, etc., and if I board after all of J/F is seated and there's ample space in the bins just ahead of me, I'll take it. Nobody has ever complained.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm sometimes that guy in the first row of Y, with no floor storage for my briefcase, etc., and if I board after all of J/F is seated and there's ample space in the bins just ahead of me, I'll take it. Nobody has ever complained.
As long as everyone in J is seated, I really don't see the harm. At some point it's just J passengers being selfish.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
Fly on any US-based carrier - pax simply find the first open space no matter what cabin and proceed to their seats in row 40...rarely seen FA's do anything about it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Not saying I have a problem with it. Rather, contrasting with what I see in the US.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stiff
Fly on any US-based carrier - pax simply find the first open space no matter what cabin and proceed to their seats in row 40...rarely seen FA's do anything about it.
In fact, on a recent flight on AA (paid domestic F no less), I asked an FA if she could make room for my carryon. I ended up getting lectured for not boarding immediately when they called first class!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I remember one time a late inbound YUL-YYZ connecting to YYZ-SFO, 1D and 1F were both gate upgrades from the same flight (I was 1D).

I got on board, and noticed all the bins were closed. The SD popped open the bin above 1DF, and it was empty. He was apparently aware of the late inbound, and had closed that bin before boarding began.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.