Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems to me that the real question was and still is whether they are ready to make the changes that will be needed in the way they operate so as to be able to use a more or less standard platform.

And yes, Amadeus it should clearly be. But we have not heard much about what is going to happen, and I don't believe Amadeus has been mentioned.

Anyway, let's hope they ditch IBM, and that the new person knows what she is doing. At leats the money is in place.
if I am not mistaken WS outsourced a lot of their IT operations while she was there. I have no reason to believe AC will ditch IBM nor any confidence they will do so. And as much as we all think it is a disaster I haven’t heard grumbling that AC thinks it is.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC 75K
And yes, Amadeus it should clearly be. But we have not heard much about what is going to happen, and I don't believe Amadeus has been mentioned.
Amadeus was briefly mentioned in the Investor Day presentation on Slide 79.

Automation of passenger ticket changes (Amadeus)

Not sure if this is something that would be done as part of the new PSS or something else.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Amadeus was briefly mentioned in the Investor Day presentation on Slide 79.

Automation of passenger ticket changes (Amadeus)

Not sure if this is something that would be done as part of the new PSS or something else.
Might not be related. It appears AC ticketing already involves some sort of relationship with amadeus right now.

When you get a pdf confirmation, mail comes from some host like esa4.aircanada.ca.iphmx.com, which appears to be from AC really, but under some malware protection system run by cisco.

However, if you ask for e-mailing additional confirmations or make changes, such as seat changes, on an existing ticket, mail comes from some amadeus host: mail1.amadeus.net (82.150.225.79)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://blog.wandr.me/2017/09/air-can...utm_campaign=0

Is Air Canada the next Basic Economy airline?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052

Interesting as to what basic economy will not have (even less than Tango) and what comfort class will have. There has been comments about preferred seat selection and wifi for comfort class but unless there is something more it may be easier to buy Tango/flex and pay for seat selection.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by vernonc
Interesting as to what basic economy will not have (even less than Tango) and what comfort class will have. There has been comments about preferred seat selection and wifi for comfort class but unless there is something more it may be easier to buy Tango/flex and pay for seat selection.
Are they recycling the Comfort Class brand? When they first deployed the pods, there were two or three of the 767 that did not get the new seats. I thought those were sold as Comfort Class on flights to Europe.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by tcook052

Previous.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
And as much as we all think it is a disaster I haven’t heard grumbling that AC thinks it is.
I have.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
if I am not mistaken WS outsourced a lot of their IT operations while she was there. I have no reason to believe AC will ditch IBM nor any confidence they will do so. And as much as we all think it is a disaster I haven’t heard grumbling that AC thinks it is.
I've had conversations with AC employees who tell me that their internal systems are as much of a disaster as the client-facing ones and in a similar fashion: poorly designed to begin with and many of them not communicating with one another, thanks to IBM.

Some employees have also mentioned to me that by far the #1 complaint they hear from customers is about the website and other issues.

Whether senior management agrees and decides to do something about it is TBD, but this is very clearly the area in which they lag farthest behind the US3.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Whether senior management agrees and decides to do something about it is TBD, but this is very clearly the area in which they lag farthest behind the US3.
According to p. 88, IT budget, which was 38 millions in 2015, 36 in 2016, is going to 68 in 2017. Then 125 in 2018, still 115 in 2019, to drop back to 58 in 2020.

So I would say they do plan to invest in new IT.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
According to p. 88, IT budget, which was 38 millions in 2015, 36 in 2016, is going to 68 in 2017. Then 125 in 2018, still 115 in 2019, to drop back to 58 in 2020.

So I would say they do plan to invest in new IT.
That wasn't at all the point of my post, which was about IBM. If they don't ditch IBM, they could multiply the IT budget 10x and things would probably still suck.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That wasn't at all the point of my post, which was about IBM. If they don't ditch IBM, they could multiply the IT budget 10x and things would probably still suck.
I think we are saying the same thing about IBM. The article that you followed up on was a followup on mine.

But I was really talking about the second part of your post, about customers not happy about website and IT, and if management decides to do something. Seems they did. Although maybe not so much about the web site itself, which is mentioned somewhere as a recent IT achievement.

Seems they are more interested in better integration between ticketing, partners, ticket changes, and departure control.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:09 pm

I've had conversations with AC employees who tell me that their internal systems are as much of a disaster as the client-facing ones and in a similar fashion: poorly designed to begin with and many of them not communicating with one another, thanks to IBM.

Some employees have also mentioned to me that by far the #1 complaint they hear from customers is about the website and other issues.

yep. Here is the other thing. All those IBM people are now IBM employees (if it is a standard ish IBM contract). So if they insource they will be starting from scratch. Which is actually really really hard. Just ask CPR. And things get (a lot) worse for the first couple years. Montreal isn’t exactly a hotbed if IT talent either. Good development community but small pool of corporate IT operations folks. Not easy at all to start over. They would be better off in Toronto if they opted to go that route. Note that I am not sayings Montreal folks are bad — they are actually just as good as Toronto — just that there aren’t enough of them.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:08 pm

yep. Here is the other thing. All those IBM people are now IBM employees (if it is a standard ish IBM contract). So if they insource they will be starting from scratch. Which is actually really really hard. Just ask CPR. And things get (a lot) worse for the first couple years. Montreal isn’t exactly a hotbed if IT talent either. Good development community but small pool of corporate IT operations folks. Not easy at all to start over. They would be better off in Toronto if they opted to go that route. Note that I am not sayings Montreal folks are bad — they are actually just as good as Toronto — just that there aren’t enough of them.
I believe the IT team is based in YYZ.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by rehoult
I believe the IT team is based in YYZ.
But shouldn’t they be tightly aligned with the business? Shouldn’t they actually be in the same city? I would guess so but I am trying to think of successful examples of companies that have IT in a different city than the majority of their business operations. I would have to give it some thought. None (in Canada) leap to mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.