Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC 2017 Investor Day; Airline Establishes New Targets for 2018-2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
yep. Here is the other thing. All those IBM people are now IBM employees (if it is a standard ish IBM contract). So if they insource they will be starting from scratch. Which is actually really really hard. Just ask CPR. And things get (a lot) worse for the first couple years. Montreal isn’t exactly a hotbed if IT talent either. Good development community but small pool of corporate IT operations folks. Not easy at all to start over. They would be better off in Toronto if they opted to go that route. Note that I am not sayings Montreal folks are bad — they are actually just as good as Toronto — just that there aren’t enough of them.
Tons of good people in Montreal, and many more who would gladly move there given the opportunity. Canada has extreme IT unemployment/unemployment with large numbers of computer science and various other engineering-degree qualified individuals not even able to get into proper profession-related employment. The key is paying people appropriately in IT. A lot of the problem is that employers think that IT is some low-level job like a janitor. AC pays senior pilots $200k+/year for positions that require arguably quite a bit less training than the sort of IT people who are needed in the AC organization.

Start offering pilot-like compensation to IT people (including flight benefits) and quite frankly, AC would be have to beat the applicants away. But as long as they think that IT is a $60-$80k/year ghetto, like many companies in Montreal think it needs to be, then of course there's going to be recruitment trouble of quality people.

Outsourcing and getting rid of an IT department is a slap in the face to quality talent who generally would want nothing to do with such. Nobody wants to say that they work for IBM and their managers are constantly looking to replace them with people from abroad. non-pilot technical professionals want to be part of the AC family (its one of the most iconic brand names in all of Canadian business), but on competitive and reasonable terms.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I thought CGI was the big enterprise IT consulting and services firm in Montreal. They could always give them a kick at the can instead of IBM.

Before Sabre, WestJet ran on a different platform that was intended for low cost airlines. Can't remember the name, but I though it was a product from EDS. EDS become HP Enterprise which now I believe is DXC.

I think Air Canada has lots of choices beyond IBM.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Whether senior management agrees and decides to do something about it is TBD, but this is very clearly the area in which they lag farthest behind the US3.
I think the CEO and senior management surrounding him don't really have a deep understanding of IT issues, the challenges they are up against, how the US3 and other carriers have transformative, flexible IT platforms. I suspect they view IT as a necessary evil to evolve, rather than a fundamental infrastructure that is as equally important an investment as new aircraft.

This won't change, until we see massive turnover in Board members and a CEO transition to a new, younger, IT aware generation.

Given that, any new reservation system is doomed to fail, and IBM will continue to be the lead partner.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I think the CEO and senior management surrounding him don't really have a deep understanding of IT issues, the challenges they are up against, how the US3 and other carriers have transformative, flexible IT platforms. I suspect they view IT as a necessary evil to evolve, rather than a fundamental infrastructure that is as equally important an investment as new aircraft.

This won't change, until we see massive turnover in Board members and a CEO transition to a new, younger, IT aware generation.

Given that, any new reservation system is doomed to fail, and IBM will continue to be the lead partner.
which supports what I've been saying for years. This airline will not even begin climbing out of the abyss until Calin and his monkeys are gone.
flybit likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:21 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Symmetre
which supports what I've been saying for years. This airline will not even begin climbing out of the abyss until Calin and his monkeys are gone.
You airline experts used to lecture the FT gang that Calin et al didn't understand the airline business in Canada. Calin et al didn't understand that Rouge would flop and would fall on its face. They didn't understand the options Canadian flyers had. They didn't comprehend the purchase drivers of Canadian flyers. They didn't understand the long term pitfalls of these short-sighted business decisions ..... but you guys did.

Let's just hope your your IT expertise hits a little closer to the mark than your business, product and price point failures.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I am inclined to agree about a lack of deep understanding, it looks to me like they have figured out that they are behind other players. Otherwise they would not have planned to spend an extra $200 million on IT over the next three years.

I also would expect they'll get closer to Amadeus.

Whether the new IT person will be up to the task is of course another issue. Based on what one reads here, most potentially more suitable candidates for the job would have declined.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

As now a full time "consultant" and long time IT employee, it isn't clear to me that you can just blanket throw IBM under the bus.

There is a finite budget, and a list of desires. If the priority desires are stupid and there isn't enough budget even to do them right, it doesn't matter if its IBM, or internal, or CGI, or Tata.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
But shouldn’t they be tightly aligned with the business? Shouldn’t they actually be in the same city? I would guess so but I am trying to think of successful examples of companies that have IT in a different city than the majority of their business operations. I would have to give it some thought. None (in Canada) leap to mind.
AC actually has a very large presence in Toronto. It's really a split HQ situation with some teams at the YUL office (on airport grounds) and others at the YYZ office (downtown, on Queen St). The YTZ-YUL flight is the inter-office mail system. Many execs split their weeks between offices.

Of the teams that I've dealt with, corporate strategy, commercial operations and sales are based in YYZ, while revenue management and route planning (and I think legal) are based in YUL. The YYZ group are who IT really needs to be with.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Might not be related. It appears AC ticketing already involves some sort of relationship with amadeus right now.
AFAIK, AC's ticketing fulfilment platform is Amadeus. I believe RESIII has leveraged some Amadeus-developed modules as well, so AC has always had some relationship there.

Any failures would be likely stem from not managing the conversion project properly. Although IBM provides a heap of services to AC, one of their main activities is hosting, supporting, and maintaining RESIII. If AC moves to Amadeus (which is seemingly the most logical choice), all of those activities move to Amadeus.

Originally Posted by Fiordland

Before Sabre, WestJet ran on a different platform that was intended for low cost airlines. Can't remember the name, but I though it was a product from EDS. EDS become HP Enterprise which now I believe is DXC. .
WS used Open Skies which was a product developed by HP and sold to a company called Navitaire, which was started by Accenture. Ironically, Navitaire is now owned by Amadeus as well.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The big problem is that you need to stop calling all this "IT".

I worked in IT once.

Now I work at companies in the engineering division, which is very separate from IT.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cedric
AA has some orders that they keep deferring. They were purchased - cheap - in the US days, but AA doesn't want to begin a small (to them) new sub-fleet. I'm sure this is something that AC could look at purchasing. But in the end, they are quite similar aircraft to the 787 which is why AA is trying to avoid them.
UA just downgraded to the 350-900 from the 350-1000, and that a simple swap for either then 777-200 that UA has, ( not 10 across) or the 787-9.

UA must be using the 777-300 they bought to replace the 747 routes.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
And UA fills a lot of those layflats to HNL at $100/block hour

Yeah. AC gave up on all that premium Hawaii-bound traffic
FYI, UA has a seat sale on hnl in business class for $1350cnd yyz-hnl. and this is often on sale.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RangerNS
As now a full time "consultant" and long time IT employee, it isn't clear to me that you can just blanket throw IBM under the bus.

There is a finite budget, and a list of desires. If the priority desires are stupid and there isn't enough budget even to do them right, it doesn't matter if its IBM, or internal, or CGI, or Tata.
That isn’t actually how it works. There is a budget. IBM often commits that budget will decline year over year. There is maintenance (steady state operations). That consumes the majority of the budget. Everything not steady state is a project or change order. Which cost extra. And are not cheap. And are delivered by personnel with various levels of qualifications. But often low. (Do some reading on people management in IBM outsourcing.) and oh year IBM’s goal is to do it with IBM products wherever possible (they don’t have to be best just meet minimum spec). And IBM does not hav the same interests as the client. And on and on and on. I know lots of folks will disagree with me but no company that is serious about doing IT and using it for competitive advantage is going to outsource and I have never seen IBM make a customer happy and be cost effective both. In fact outsourcing in general has numerous spectacular failures and precious few successes. So why do it? Because costs go down and C level bonuses go up as a result. But make no mistake it is short term thinking. Not quite quarterly short term but close.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm not disagreeing, but obviously the devil is in the details. IBM might well state a minimum "keep the lights on" cost which AC agrees to. If that doesn't include upgrades, it doesn't include upgrades. Whose fault is that? IBM might have proposed two prices "keep the lights on" and "+20% for reasonable and prudent upgrades, up to X hours". AC might have just kept the lights on. Whose fault is that?

AC could well buy a pool of hours for unspecified upgrades and negotiate a good rate. Or negotiate long in advance for upgrade projects on a fixed price, fixed scope project. IBM may or may not respond or try to play that game. Or be embedded enough, SME enough that their not-lowest price bid is still the best bid.

If AC has let IBM take over so much - and agreed to exclusive contracts - then that is on AC.

AC is apparently now recognizing that things need a bigger budget. That might go to permanent staff, that might go to IBM for upgrades, it might go to someone else for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.