Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada or Westjet to Boston/NYC?

Question: Air Canada or Westjet to Boston/NYC?

Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Air Canada or Westjet to Boston/NYC?

I realize I'm posting this in the AC forum, but I'm not quite sure where I should ask this. So I'm planning to fly from YVR-BOS on October 10th and NYC-YVR on October 18th. I forgot which NYC airport Westjet flies to, but Google Flights is showing C$365 for the airfares. AC is charging C$399 for those flights. The difference is $34. I'm assuming if I fly AC, I'll collect miles on all of those flights, but is that worth the extra $34? I'm not sure what I'll get out of flying Westjet other than saving $34 since it doesn't seem like Westjet is part of any alliances. So what would you guys do?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ugh...well since no one else has responded I will.

1) With 682 posts I'd assume you'd just settle this yourself. But ok, if you want an opinion cool.
2) AC has a seasonal direct flight from YVR-BOS. So if its' available and that's something you value, yes it's worth $34. Personally I dislike WS, their seats and their IFE, so that alone would be worth the $34. Also, yes there'll be miles that can be collected, but not 100% unless you buy the right fare bucket, which won't be $399 is my guess.
3) Air Canada flies to Laguardia from YUL/YYZ, WS flies there from YYZ. Westjet flies from YYC to JFK. Air Canada flies to EWR from YVR/YYC/YOW/YYZ/YUL so there's more options there. Getting to EWR is easy from New York and the direct flight to YVR is on a 787 which is a positive for ME, but maybe not for some. But again it's direct so there's a value there.

You could also fly any of the US based airlines via different connection points.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:15 am

Aeroplan points are worth almost nothing these days. So it basically comes down to whether you want the horrible YYZ T3 WS experience, or the far superior AC T1 experience? But that's contrasted with the probably inferior onboard AC experience. But then again, with more flights and more hardware deployed out of YYZ, IRROPs handling probably will be better with AC.

My inclination would be to save the $$$ and go with the cheapest. At those fare levels, your fare really isn't doing much more than covering the cost of fuel and security theatre. There's no reason to believe that either airline will be any more or less safe at delivering you to the destination.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Ugh...well since no one else has responded I will.

1) With 682 posts I'd assume you'd just settle this yourself. But ok, if you want an opinion cool.
2) AC has a seasonal direct flight from YVR-BOS. So if its' available and that's something you value, yes it's worth $34. Personally I dislike WS, their seats and their IFE, so that alone would be worth the $34. Also, yes there'll be miles that can be collected, but not 100% unless you buy the right fare bucket, which won't be $399 is my guess.
3) Air Canada flies to Laguardia from YUL/YYZ, WS flies there from YYZ. Westjet flies from YYC to JFK. Air Canada flies to EWR from YVR/YYC/YOW/YYZ/YUL so there's more options there. Getting to EWR is easy from New York and the direct flight to YVR is on a 787 which is a positive for ME, but maybe not for some. But again it's direct so there's a value there.

You could also fly any of the US based airlines via different connection points.
It sure doesn't hurt to get any extra input! I think all of those flights offer in-flight Wi-Fi. I've never used it before, but is it worth paying for? Or is there even a way to get it for free or a very low rate? That might sway my decision.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
It sure doesn't hurt to get any extra input! I think all of those flights offer in-flight Wi-Fi. I've never used it before, but is it worth paying for? Or is there even a way to get it for free or a very low rate? That might sway my decision.
EWR-YVR is a 787, which I enjoy flying on (actually flew this route earlier this year) but AC widebodies do not yet have WiFi.

For the narrow-body AC flights you can pre-pay for WiFi for less than you'd pay on-board, but it is not exactly cheap: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I would ignore the Aeroplan points and any Air Canada status unless you are a frequent flyer and are already close to reaching a status milestone. The fact is that in Y, WS and AC are very similar. So make your choice based on price, overall trip time, or airport. Which of these is most important is up to you.

For me, $34 isn't worth an hour or two of extra travel time if travelling alone, but if I I'm with the whole family then that gets multiplied by five and it might be. Also, the $34 in savings might be lost by flying in to the wrong airport and having more expensive ground transportation.

Since your trip is transcontinental, you may also want to consider the aircraft types. I find WS 737s and AC A320s to be about equal in comfort. Lots of people here love the AC E190, I hated it. In Y, the older AC widebodies apparently have more room than the newer ones.

As for Wifi, I don't know if all of the Westjet 737s have Wifi yet. From the website:
Please note, we’re still in the process of outfitting all of our aircraft with this new system, but go ahead and check out our progress to date. Also, any aircraft not yet equipped will have seatback TV on board (excluding WestJet Encore).
Most Air Canada narrowbodies have wifi. For details check here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...oard-wifi.html

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not sure what I'll get out of flying Westjet other than saving $34 since it doesn't seem like Westjet is part of any alliances. So what would you guys do?
While WS doesn't oversell their flights which avoids the risk of being bumped they fly into LGA which is undergoing a multi-billion dollar redevelopment project that can impact access so would opt for the AC 787 service instead. Just MHO since you asked for input.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
While WS doesn't oversell their flights which avoids the risk of being bumped they fly into LGA which is undergoing a multi-billion dollar redevelopment project that can impact access so would opt for the AC 787 service instead. Just MHO since you asked for input.
I would say it depends on where you want to go in New York. JFK is a better choice if you are actually heading to long island. LaGuardia is closer to Manhattan and Newark is in New Jersey.

Also no need to stick to just WestJet or Air Canada. Out of Vancouver Alaska is a very viable option. Q400 down to Seattle and then a 737 into New York or Boston. Delta is also a viable option.

The last tow option are American and United. Personal perspective, but I would pick Alaska, Delta, AC or WestJet first.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:36 am

Heck, if you see space, book CX YVR-JFK flight on BA Avios!! in J even
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Pick the airport or schedule that best suits your needs.

I would fly WS primarily because I can likely upgrade at OLCI to their Plus PE seating and enjoy more space than regular Y (more legroom and middle seat blocked) for a very nominal fee. It's great value, especially on a shorter flight.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
2) AC has a seasonal direct flight from YVR-BOS.
Said flight ends 2 weeks before the OP want to travel.

[Pitz]
So it basically comes down to whether you want the horrible YYZ T3 WS experience, or the far superior AC T1 experience?

I've spent time in both. I can't imagine one terminal being superior to the other.

Since the OP is looking to open jaw, may I suggest WS one way and AC the other.

WS will give you WS dollars. Only a couple on a $200 fare.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If you are a fan of the old TV Show Hee-Haw, fly WJ.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Heck, if you see space, book CX YVR-JFK flight on BA Avios!! in J even
Forgot about that one. Yes, Cathay Pacific or Philippian Airlines are excellent options especially if you can get business class at a good discount.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I would say it depends on where you want to go in New York.
Of course but OP didn't specify location.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Said flight ends 2 weeks before the OP want to travel.
Fair enough, I wasn't going to research that since the OP seemed to have done no research on his own including CLICKING the flight in google flights to see what airport it was to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.