Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Non-Status Pax - Unexpected J Seat from Y - Out of Sympathy by AC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC

Some history of me. I'm based in YWG, always buy Tango fares and try to fly AC as much as I can. I fly average 20-25 segments a year with AC and it’s partners and made Prestige status a couple of times during the last 7 years. I had status last year and so far have flown 5 AC segments this year.

Since May 2017, I've been having difficulties purchasing airfare on Air Canada website in which, I would buy the airfare and then soon afterwards, it would be unexpectedly cancelled and the amount refunded back to my card. It's happened 3 times before when trying to book flights to YVR, YYZ and SAT. I tried with my credit card and with a debit card and still the booking was unexpectedly canceled and amount refunded back to my card. I called my credit card company and bank and they verified my cards are ok.

When I talked with customer service over the phone, I was instructed to go to YWG airport and see the ticket agent to verify my payment card and id. For the bookings YVR and YYZ I ended up ignoring them because I didn't want to drive, pay for parking at the airport. I resolved the problem by booking on WestJet.

Last month I tried again to buy YWG-SAT airfare on AC website but the same issue arose again. This time, I went to YWG airport, saw the ticket agent who verified my payment card, my drivers id but she was unable to reach AC customer service over the phone. So she wrote notes in my booking about my visit at the airport, charged my credit card and under that same booking she issued me a new ticket number since the previous one was cancelled. I still couldn’t see details of this booking when logged into AC website. It says there are payment validity issues.

A few days before my scheduled flight, I called AC to make sure that my booking is in place which they verified is ok. 24 hrs before the flight, I get the email that online check-in is available. When I try, I'm not able to check-in online and still getting payment validity issues when trying to view the booking online on AC website.

On the day of departure, I arrive at YWG airport early and I'm not able to check-in on the kiosk. The check-in agent is also unable to check me in and he is trying to reach customer service over the phone. Almost 25 mins have passed and agent still on hold trying to reach customer service. I'm very nervous that I might not able to get on the flight. I'm on Twitter and seeking for AC help. I got a quick response and explain the situation and backstory on Twitter DM. Finally after 35 mins, the agent gets through customer service and I'm finally issued boarding passes YWG-YYZ-SAT. I wasn't able to pick seats but I knew it had Y seating. I voiced my disappointment with AC Twitter team about my check-in problem and, purchasing problems on their website which has made me switch predominately all my flying for this year to WJ and other carriers.

Upon boarding YYZ-SAT, the gate agent presented me with a new boarding pass and with J seating. Not sure why the gate agent would give me a J seat since she did not know my situation. I don’t think it was a full flight. Did AC twitter team do this out of sympathy? I’m not sure what other situation that would warrant a non-status pax to be moved from Y to J at no cost. I’m nobody special since I don’t fly or spend as much as an elite flyer.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Sounds like someone in the system wanted to say, I am sorry or thank you.

Perhaps they are trying to avoid CBC new articles.

----

My own personal example....

A few years ago, I checked in at YVR (was 35k at the time).
- Handed the agent my ID and aeroplan card.
- The aeroplan card fell off the counter between the belt and counter.
- Agent says, "Sorry - I need to call maintenance to get that out, just go to the maple leaf lounge and I will try to get your card extracted before your flight."
- Arrive at the lounge with my boarding pass and no card, agent say "Mr Fiordland", we were expected you, just go right upstairs.
- About half and hour later the agent that checked me in, finds me in the lounge hands me the card and say I am sorry again."
- Get to the gate, not a full flight. I board. The gate agent comes on the aircraft and says. "Mr Fiordland I would like to move you up to business class if you don't mind, just before closing the door." Same thing happened on the connecting flight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Was it a smaller plane? Sometimes passengers are moved forward for weight and balance reasons, so it's possible it was nothing to do with your payment situation; but rather where your seat was.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Was it a smaller plane? Sometimes passengers are moved forward for weight and balance reasons, so it's possible it was nothing to do with your payment situation; but rather where your seat was.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

had it for customer service reasons before and also for weight balancing.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Sounds like someone in the system wanted to say, I am sorry or thank you.

Perhaps they are trying to avoid CBC new articles.

----

My own personal example....

A few years ago, I checked in at YVR (was 35k at the time).
- Handed the agent my ID and aeroplan card.
- The aeroplan card fell off the counter between the belt and counter.
- Agent says, "Sorry - I need to call maintenance to get that out, just go to the maple leaf lounge and I will try to get your card extracted before your flight."
- Arrive at the lounge with my boarding pass and no card, agent say "Mr Fiordland", we were expected you, just go right upstairs.
- About half and hour later the agent that checked me in, finds me in the lounge hands me the card and say I am sorry again."
- Get to the gate, not a full flight. I board. The gate agent comes on the aircraft and says. "Mr Fiordland I would like to move you up to business class if you don't mind, just before closing the door." Same thing happened on the connecting flight.

This is what makes Air Canada excruciatingly painful to describe.

One out of every 20 flights I will get a person who actually loves their job and has a happy disposition. They seem like they want to help and actually show some eagerness to complete their tasks to make the customer feel like,.......well, a customer.

One out of every 8-12 flights I will meet a real fire-breathing Dragon. Never a smile, always do the absolute minimum with a perma-glare scowl on the face. They hate the company, they hate the equipment, they hate the job tasks, they hate the customers, they really, really, really, REALLY hate me when I push that little call button to summon them for a drink.

The rest of the flights are usually filled with the mediocre to average crew that plague this airline. Apathy Air.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: TK *G
I was flying YYZ-YVR a while back, the bird was a 773. The flight was almost full but there was an empty J seat beside me. Then one passenger with carry on bags boarded at the last minute, FA told that passenger there would be no space for the bags at the back and told that passenger to put her bags above that empty J seat. Then the FA said "you can seat here as well".

So I learned another way to op-up.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by songsc
I was flying YYZ-YVR a while back, the bird was a 773. The flight was almost full but there was an empty J seat beside me. Then one passenger with carry on bags boarded at the last minute, FA told that passenger there would be no space for the bags at the back and told that passenger to put her bags above that empty J seat. Then the FA said "you can seat here as well".

So I learned another way to op-up.
How "awhile" back was this?

Was this pre-status-pax-cheapening-J days (2007-2013), or was this during the current era of status-pax-cheapening-J days?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
How "awhile" back was this?

Was this pre-status-pax-cheapening-J days (2007-2013), or was this during the current era of status-pax-cheapening-J days?
Last year in December. I am not sure if that passenger had any status, but she had a Y boarding pass for sure.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
Last year in December. I am not sure if that passenger had any status, but she had a Y boarding pass for sure.
There must be a legit reason?
Did you report this?

I must apologize though as it's partially my fault.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
There must be a legit reason?
Did you report this?

I must apologize though as it's partially my fault.
I can't think of any.

It was done by the SD, so reporting onboard wouldn't work. If I report every single non-compliance I have seen from check-in all the way to baggage delivery, then I would spend two days after each trip just to write to AC.

And it's partially my fault too. I should have booked a seat at the back and boarded late with carry on bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.