Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Just booked an aeroplan reward ticket and I have a few questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,
I just booked a trip to Italy and Tanzania, and I have a few question:
1. on the return flight JRO-(ZNZ)-IST-ORD-YUL, I only have 60 minutes at IST to connect the flight to ORD. Is 60 mins connection time enough for Istanbul airport?
2. I am carrying video and photo camera gears, and do I have to check in these gears on the flight Istanbul to Chicago?

Here is my itinerary:
YYZ-MXP (Stop)-IST-JRO (destination)-(ZNZ)-IST-ORD-YUL (Stop)-YYZ
all in business class. 2 tkts, 300000miles + $480 CAD
Both of us are Nexus holders

Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you should ever check your camera/video gear. Look at what aircanada.com says about that.

Should be carry on. BTW I never had my camera backpack weight checked. Even though it (obviously?) is over the 8 lb limit.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Laptop / electronics ban has been lifted for TK flights to the US, should be no issue with your camera gear.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
60 mins seems tight for IST. I guess it would be fine if your flights are on time and your gates are relatively close. IST can be very crowded and chaotic. And I would expect extra security and doc checks for US bound flights. I have not been thru IST for a couple of years so someone might have more updated info.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
I would never book a 60-minute connection at IST, because:

-IST is HUGE, and chances are you'll have a lot of walking to do;
-The times we were there immigration was fairly chaotic (although being in J you'll have a special line);
-60 minutes means you have no time for the TK lounge.

I think the J immigration line gives you a chance at making the connection, but be ready to run.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
I don't think you should ever check your camera/video gear. Look at what aircanada.com says about that.

Should be carry on. BTW I never had my camera backpack weight checked. Even though it (obviously?) is over the 8 lb limit.
Originally Posted by Twickenham

-IST is HUGE, and chances are you'll have a lot of walking to do;
-The times we were there immigration was fairly chaotic (although being in J you'll have a special line);
-60 minutes means you have no time for the TK lounge.

I think the J immigration line gives you a chance at making the connection, but be ready to run.
hey, thanks for the information. I am a bit confused. Do we need to pass immigration at IST for just connecting flight?
Will Turkish airlines book us to next available flight (or partners flight) to Montreal if we miss our connection?
There was only Turkish airlines available for the reward flight from JRO to YUL, so I guess we don't have options. For camera gears, yes, I wasn't sure if USA lifted the ban for carrying large electronic devices. It seems the rules change frequently. Thanks again for everyone's information and suggestion.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC
I flew YYZ-IST-DEL on TK in J a few months ago. I did not have to go through immigration but there was a security screening upon landing. I don't recall there being any special J line for security.

60 minutes is definitely tight. As mentioned already, IST is huge and chaotic so it can take some time to navigate. I don't think I've ever been in an airport where there are so many people constantly standing in the way of everything...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Frederic Wu
hey, thanks for the information. I am a bit confused. Do we need to pass immigration at IST for just connecting flight?
Will Turkish airlines book us to next available flight (or partners flight) to Montreal if we miss our connection?
There was only Turkish airlines available for the reward flight from JRO to YUL, so I guess we don't have options. For camera gears, yes, I wasn't sure if USA lifted the ban for carrying large electronic devices. It seems the rules change frequently. Thanks again for everyone's information and suggestion.
You do not have to go thru immigration for a connecting flight. If you misconnect and have to overnight then yes, you obviously have to go thru immigration and the visa fee is I believe around $40.
They will rebook you but IST and TK can be a gong show. Be prepared to be polite but pushy. Some of the staff have a very laid back attitude and will happily send you off to someone else if they can. I would suggest looking up options in advance so you can feed it to them instead of throwing yourself at their mercy. Hope everything goes well and all this advice is not required.
You might also want to proactively change to more suitable flights if any become available.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tifosi
I flew YYZ-IST-DEL on TK in J a few months ago. I did not have to go through immigration but there was a security screening upon landing. I don't recall there being any special J line for security.

60 minutes is definitely tight. As mentioned already, IST is huge and chaotic so it can take some time to navigate. I don't think I've ever been in an airport where there are so many people constantly standing in the way of everything...
The J line for security is when you checkin at IST. Not sure if there is one for connections. In fact there is a separate entrance to the terminal for J passengers that gets you into the terminal where the J checkin counter is.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC 100K
Originally Posted by Twickenham

- 60 minutes means you have no time for the TK lounge.
This. After a 10 hour flight from Africa being able to go to the awesome TK lounge in IST and chill out for a couple of hours before the next flight is well worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by vernonc
The J line for security is when you checkin at IST. Not sure if there is one for connections. In fact there is a separate entrance to the terminal for J passengers that gets you into the terminal where the J checkin counter is.
There is technically, it's further down from the regular security.
60 mins will likely mean a missed connection, and a rebooking in revenue
Assuming of course 60 mins is even legal, I d double check that.

I don't see what NEXUS had to do with any of this? OP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.