Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award bookable by phone but not online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award bookable by phone but not online

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC009
P.S. I always love when Aeroplan calls out their ad campaigns and advertises that it one of their myths that all awards can be booked online. Clearly they can't. So what do you call a myth that is actually true?
That's actually not one of the myths they advertise.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Do small claims make a precedent?
It would never get that far. They'd settle with you long beforehand, if only because I doubt they're going to dump thousands on a case that would cost the $30 now, with a risk of publicly losing.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:43 pm

I learned my lesson. I pay $30 and very gingerly suggest the routing that I want with a reduce charges that go with a 'free' award ticket. At the beginning of the call I give the agent 3 stops I want and then wait for them to tell me either the segments with Y or AC etc carriers most of the time. Can I go via a certain city, "the previously researched connection" I ask, and normally they check it and say it possible. I try to avoid redundant arguments that would prolong the call or necessitate another call. I consider $30 as an additional fee to fees they charge already. And typically I would not be able to book my itineraries online with no provision for 3 stops even with multi cities option. For me 3 stops is what makes this program somewhat beneficial.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's actually not one of the myths they advertise.
Close enough.

Clearly I don't have access to the same seats on aeroplan.com hence why I need to call and pay a service fee to book them.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
My other favourite Aeroplan myth:

"I’ll have to be on hold for 2 hours if I call in to book a flight."

Well now it is 3 hours

www.aeroplan.com/myths
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC009
Close enough.

Clearly I don't have access to the same seats on aeroplan.com hence why I need to call and pay a service fee to book them.
Find me a seat you can book over the phone but not online.

They do not mention "itineraries", for the very good reason that certain ITINERARIES require calling in.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Since you suggested it, why don't you?
I use it for only YYZ-SIN on BR or YYZ-LGA last minute so I have never had this issue. If I ever had the issue, I would spend the time and money and refuse to settle out of court.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

It would never get that far. They'd settle with you long beforehand, if only because I doubt they're going to dump thousands on a case that would cost the $30 now, with a risk of publicly losing.
Sure. But that was not my point. I don't think small claims courts decisions constitute legal precedents in the first place so the case made by a previous poster is probably incorrect.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Sure. But that was not my point. I don't think small claims courts decisions constitute legal precedents in the first place so the case made by a previous poster is probably incorrect.
I'm no Lawyer, but prior cases can be used for guidance

Small Claims Court decisions are not precedent setting. There is no lower Court upon which they would be binding. They have value from the perspective that someone else has looked at the same matter before. In effect, they are there for guidance.
http://www.isourcerealestate.com/blo...-as-precedents

While not the same as precedents, repeated rulings will help higher courts in the matter.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I learned my lesson. I pay $30 and very gingerly suggest the routing that I want with a reduce charges that go with a 'free' award ticket.
Yeah, same approach here.

Cow is of course correct that you can book just about any flight online, but forget it for more extensive multi-city. I research the flights on KVS (other tools are available) and then 'guide' them down the path to get what I want.

This worked well recently for a trip down under for a NAN-AKL flight that didn't show up in KVS when searching via AP but did show up via ANA. Didn't even have to HUCA.

Provided you know what you want and aren't being a dick, the human interaction is often less frustrating. But it seems to depend on the agent too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.