Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No coffee when the SB light is on? Seriously?

No coffee when the SB light is on? Seriously?

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's standard on BA that no hot drinks will be served anywhere on the aircraft when the seat belt sign is on. Of course, when BA pilots turn the sign on they really mean it.
Originally Posted by YYC009
Same for SQ. No hot beverages once the light goes on. Part of the announcement explains this too.
One difference may be that AC seems very conservative about initiating the seatbelt sign at the slightest indication of chop meaning the coffee/tea suspension comes in to force much more often.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Let's be honest the seatbelt sign can go on for a variety of degrees of turbulence varying based on route, airline, captain. I've had it on for periods where I feel certain someone has forgotten it, I've also had it on while tray tables went flying and my friend was puking into a bag (his one and only case of air sickness in maybe 200 flights).

There isn't a degree marker on it but I'd assume - I could be wrong - that there are times it's turned on and drink service can continue and there are times the FAs are warned to sit down and stop as it could be significant.

That said, FA could also, on occasion, use it as an excuse. Which ties into J being more flexible perhaps.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
For minor chop it's up to the flight attendants. When the pilots ask for cabin crew to be seated then it isn't up to them.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYC009
Same for SQ. No hot beverages once the light goes on. Part of the announcement explains this too.

You are right... a lot more spotty on AC. But then you don't know how severe the chop may or may not be or what the CA/FO/SD was told to expect. Your version of 'slight chop' may be very different from the aircraft ten minutes ahead that reported 'severe chop'. It will always be hard to predict. I prefer to error on the side of caution.
This.

I find they only announce the suspension of hot beverage service when either the aircraft is shaking enough that something is likely to spill, or when they have a strong belief that the aircraft will start shaking enough that something is likely to spill.

They often turn on the seatbelt light when there's no turbulence, because they have a strong belief there will SOON be turbulence.

This is for your safety.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
It is ignored in J, but I can assure in Y it is enforced 90% of the time regardless of how non existent the chop is at any given time. Quite often the Y crew are militant and bark at you if you dare ask for a hot beverage while the seatbelt sign is on, even if no or little chop for 20 minutes and everyone has forgotten the seatbelt sign had been on for that long.
Of course, I rarely fly in Y and never order hot beverages, so that would explain it
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Of course, I rarely fly in Y and never order hot beverages, so that would explain it
So, a JAlcohol snob?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This.

I find they only announce the suspension of hot beverage service when either the aircraft is shaking enough that something is likely to spill, or when they have a strong belief that the aircraft will start shaking enough that something is likely to spill.

They often turn on the seatbelt light when there's no turbulence, because they have a strong belief there will SOON be turbulence.

This is for your safety.
Except in J, where everyone is safe. Always.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Except in J, where everyone is safe. Always.
To be fair, the risk of your coffee spilling on someone else in J is much lower than in Y.

And if you spill your own coffee on yourself...

I also never order hot beverages though, so I wouldn't notice.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
To be fair, the risk of your coffee spilling on someone else in J is much lower than in Y.

And if you spill your own coffee on yourself...

I also never order hot beverages though, so I wouldn't notice.
Yeah, I'm full agreement. I was just trying to be the devil's advocate.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
They serve hot drinks behind the curtain?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Of course, one could say safety first! But only in Y.

Having said that... I kind of understand why they are strict in Y and more relaxed about it in J.
^^^

Pure Bias
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jc94
Let's be honest the seatbelt sign can go on for a variety of degrees of turbulence varying based on route, airline, captain. I've had it on for periods where I feel certain someone has forgotten it, I've also had it on while tray tables went flying and my friend was puking into a bag (his one and only case of air sickness in maybe 200 flights).

There isn't a degree marker on it but I'd assume - I could be wrong - that there are times it's turned on and drink service can continue and there are times the FAs are warned to sit down and stop as it could be significant.

That said, FA could also, on occasion, use it as an excuse. Which ties into J being more flexible perhaps.
No benefit to the FA to use this as an excuse if they are continuing drink service i.e. they are still doing the work. I do believe they are following protocol which is now being enforced. J is a lot easier spacewise and a more 'complaining' class of pax
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I really have no problems with them not serving coffee while the SB light is on.

Every have coffee served to you a few minutes before turbulence hits? Not a lot of fun.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by nrgiii
So I flew PDX -> YYZ yesterday on AC 546 in Y and the FAs refused to serve coffee until the SB light was turned off. Now that would make sense during heavy chop, like when the captain asks the FA's to be seated, but it wasn't like that. The chop was very light, barely noticeable, and had been that way for some time.

Is this a new AC policy? The FA's said they were not allowed to do it because AC could be sued and that the policy had always been such. As one who's flown AC all over the world off and on for the last 30 yrs, that sure smells like BS.

nrg
Light Turbulence
Remove and Stow hot beverages from carts. Discontinue hot beverage service until seat belt sign has been turned off and turbulence has passed.

The S.O.P. should be self explanatory.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Light Turbulence
Remove and Stow hot beverages from carts. Discontinue hot beverage service until seat belt sign has been turned off and turbulence has passed.

The S.O.P. should be self explanatory.

You forgot this part:

Go to your stations and pull out the latest gossip magazine to read. Ignore all customers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.