Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Domestic predeparture beverage downgraded as of August 7, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic predeparture beverage downgraded as of August 7, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Flew YUL-YHZ last night on the RS E175. PDB was Naya water as well. Didn't think much of it because it was a 1 hour express flight. As it's system wide this is a pretty disappointing enhancement.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I always take the water option and I would prefer a bottle over the little plastic cup. So I like the change.

Though i can see how it sucks for people who would always take the juice.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by expert7700
Meals seemed rouge quality (veal stew, sliced chicken & rice, raviolli, or fish).
1) Rouge meals are spec'ed the same as mainline meals with the exception of the sheet of paper that lines the tray.

2) While I won't pout on my chest and say this new pre departure beverage is the last straw and switch all my business domestic/transborder to WestJet, I will voice my opinion and say that it's a turn for the worse. I'm not diabetic by any means, but Vitamin C is always top of mind at my age and OJ is a good source of it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Basic stats would suggest you should expect a 180ml Naya bottle tomorrow.
You must've failed stats.

It was 330 mL again.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AC SE
I think this may only be for PLH/transcon flights. I had two flights yesterday, one of them a mid-haul domestic, and one a PLH YYZ-YYC. Water or OJ served on the first flight in a cup; water bottle handed out for the YYZ-YYC.

I actually think this is an improvement for some people, as it's nice to have a water bottle handy, especially if it takes them a while to start the first drink service, but I guess it's a downgrade if you wanted OJ.

However an actual enhancement would be to provide both - your choice of drink on the ground (similar to many US carriers), even if they have to keep it to non-alcoholic drinks, and then a small water bottle for the flight.

FYI, the water bottle is a 330 ml Naya, so about half the size of the ones provided for international flights.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
We were handed a 600 mL bottle for a recent transcon. The others were 330 mL.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not if my blood sugar's low.
This is why you should always carry a supply of Kit Kats and not rely on pre-departure OJ.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You must've failed stats.

It was 330 mL again.
According to my calculations, there's between a 1/8 and 1/4 chance he passed stats.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Vitamin C is always top of mind at my age and OJ is a good source of it.
They have pills for that now, among other pills for older men.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
i had exactly the same reaction.
Hypoglycemic reaction?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Don't forget DL. Not only do they provide a wide variety of PDB choices, they also provide a bottle of water!
That would be an actual enhancement!

One thing I like about US carriers is being able to get a choice of PDB before takeoff.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:53 am

In today's climate of trying to cut down on plastic waste, I'm surprised that they decided to increase the amount of plastic they are using.

That being said, I usually pick water, so having an entire (small) bottle is nice.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
In today's climate of trying to cut down on plastic waste, I'm surprised that they decided to increase the amount of plastic they are using.

That being said, I usually pick water, so having an entire (small) bottle is nice.
But is it an actual enhancement?

Or are we just saying that this is a a millimetre higher on the pile of woolly mammoth dung?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Apparently domestic J only receives bottled water handed out at boarding. I asked about a choice and orange juice was no longer an option. Upon further query this is a change as of August 7, 2017.

I am reporting what I was told on yyz to yvr today.
Yup, I got the same on AC134 this morning. I have a Sky Regional flight down south later today, it'll be interesting to see if they've adopted the same change.

For all UA's many, many (many) faults, their J food and beverage program is miles and miles past AC. Full PDB service, and meals that are generally tasty and have some variety. I don't know why AC even bothers with the menus, most of us could recite the options by heart. Oh look, it's parsley omelet, pancakes or healthy option for breakfast! Just like every single morning flight since 2009.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
Oh look, it's parsley omelet, pancakes or healthy option for breakfast! Just like every single morning flight since 2009.
You mean 2009 B.C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.