Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Advice regarding trip from YYZ to KUL

Advice regarding trip from YYZ to KUL

Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by KenHamer
When was the last time they lined up on a taxiway?
Ha! Exactly.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
These are fairly easy choices...except...

I wouldn't bother for F if it's a short segment. Now ICN-LAX is long, so go for it, but you pay a premium considering none of the other flights are F.

But the other ones are kinda terrible. I wouldn't mind doing like SFO-YVR in Y, no biggie, but SFO-YYZ is a lengthy ride considering you're already paying the premium on points to take it in Y. And hell no to Option 3 MUN-YYZ that far in Y, pass. I'd do it if the whole ticket is Y, but not when you're already paying the J/F price.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
I think TG runs the old 744 between MUC and BKK; its tired. If you can fly FRA-BKK you'll get a 380 or 350 which Is a step up in f or j. LHR has the 380 as well both options are better than OZ in 772, if your stuckflying out of MUC on TG, I'd avoid the 744 entirely.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by drvannostren
These are fairly easy choices...except...

I wouldn't bother for F if it's a short segment. Now ICN-LAX is long, so go for it, but you pay a premium considering none of the other flights are F.

But the other ones are kinda terrible. I wouldn't mind doing like SFO-YVR in Y, no biggie, but SFO-YYZ is a lengthy ride considering you're already paying the premium on points to take it in Y. And hell no to Option 3 MUN-YYZ that far in Y, pass. I'd do it if the whole ticket is Y, but not when you're already paying the J/F price.
You can save some points by doing 2 one-ways - pay F points for one direction,
and J points for the other.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
You can save some points by doing 2 one-ways - pay F points for one direction,
and J points for the other.
Since there are no stopovers this should be the plan. Paying round trip F points for just one segment would be nuts.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:04 am

Yea, I actually just did this recently, was trying for a mini-rtw but I just couldn't make the cities/dates work. Was trying for YVR-EWR-BKK-YOW-YVR but the availability just wasn't there and the YQ was a joke because I couldn't escape AC.

In the end I cancelled and booked 2 one ways, one way in creative Y and the other way in J.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:31 am

Yea, I actually just did this recently, was trying for a mini-rtw but I just couldn't make the cities/dates work. Was trying for YVR-EWR-BKK-YOW-YVR but the availability just wasn't there and the YQ was a joke because I couldn't escape AC.

In the end I cancelled and booked 2 one ways, one way in creative Y and the other way in J.
did you look at flying out of Seattle?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:45 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I am assuming that options 1 and 3 cost a lot more miles than option 2 because of the presence of a first class flight? That might enter in the equation.

You should also note that YVR-TPE on BR is not the same quality as YYZ-TPE because the YVR route has an angle-flat seat while the YYZ route has a lie-flat seat. It looks like you cannot get YYZ-TPE so it is what it is, but for the same amount of miles I would have a strong preference for flying from YYZ direct and avoid a transfer in YVR, if given the choice.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I am assuming that options 1 and 3 cost a lot more miles than option 2 because of the presence of a first class flight? That might enter in the equation.

You should also note that YVR-TPE on BR is not the same quality as YYZ-TPE because the YVR route has an angle-flat seat while the YYZ route has a lie-flat seat. It looks like you cannot get YYZ-TPE so it is what it is, but for the same amount of miles I would have a strong preference for flying from YYZ direct and avoid a transfer in YVR, if given the choice.
Was the angle flat on the 747? Cuz the YVR flight is now 777-300ER, seatguru claims it's 180 degrees flat bed. I can't say I've been in the cabin yet, but the change was made to 777 mid way through Jul.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
did you look at flying out of Seattle?
I did and while it helped a little bit, it didn't SOLVE my issues, so I bailed on it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Was the angle flat on the 747? Cuz the YVR flight is now 777-300ER, seatguru claims it's 180 degrees flat bed. I can't say I've been in the cabin yet, but the change was made to 777 mid way through Jul.
It was the 747. I was not aware that they changed the route from the 747 to the 777 last month. Good news!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
It was the 747. I was not aware that they changed the route from the 747 to the 777 last month. Good news!
Actually it appears it's not just the YVR route. They entirely retired their 744 fleet:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ger-ai-440440/
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually it appears it's not just the YVR route. They entirely retired their 744 fleet:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ger-ai-440440/
Between that and CI now running an A350 on the TPE-YVR route, it's cutting in to our ability to make 747@YVR jokes...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.