Wiki Posts
Search

Standby Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus
Standby Question

Let me preface this by saying this is the first time I've ever asked to be put on the standby list.

Was flying YYZ-YVR yesterday with my fiancé and arrived about 3 hours early. Asked the Priority Bag Drop CSR if we could get on standby for the 2PM flight (AC115) instead of the 4:10 (AC119). Got the curious answer of "Let me check"..."We normally don't allow standby on YVR flights, but I've managed to get you both on it". We proceeded through security and checked the standby list in the app while waiting in the Nexus lane, and we were miraculously #1 and #2 on the list of about 12 people.

Now I'm confused as to how we got #1 and #2 (my E35K status helped?) and how there were 10 others if they don't normally allow standby for YYZ-YVR (missed earlier connections?). If anyone has some insight into how this system works, that would be wonderful.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: *$ Green
Could be employees travelling standby, or passengers that missed their flight.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Could be employees travelling standby, or passengers that missed their flight.
Or other passengers that were granted similar special one-offs, or other passengers that have the ability to standby and chose to do so, or... etc. etc. etc.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ctf12
."We normally don't allow standby on YVR flights, but I've managed to get you both on it".
I would hazard a guess and say that this was a "dumbed down" statement for FOTSG VBIT types.

Like, what is "normal"? I get to standby on such flights all the time and to me, that's normal.

(and yes, your status helps - how much is the question)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Cabin
Status
Fare class
Check-in time (though this may not apply to standby, because you're not checked in for the flight, so it's probably something different)

Then nonrevs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.