Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Boston AC gates no longer a cakewalk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC50k, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Club

For pretty much forever, getting to the AC gates at BOS has been a cakewalk. A day with 5 people in the security like was an anomaly. Walk up 10 minutes before boarding and you were good.

No more.

There's now a flight to YVR late afternoon, and the security line is bad enough that there is a queue for people that aren't on the next flight out. Spent a good 25 minutes in the security line today.

And no PreCheck line.

Sigh.....
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:40 pm
F 1

Thanks for the heads up. I have Boston booked in September, but after the YVR flights end for the season. Hopefully by then, things will be back to minimal lineups.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Haha, sounds a bit like Newark. There's times where you can breeze through, then there's the no-precheck before YVR 788 flight. Lovely. That said, BOS airport sucks imo. I'm sure there's plenty of differences, but in the couple times I've used it I've gotten a very LGA vibe.

I would like to ask while we're on the topic (sort of) how's BOS as a INTL arrival? Looking at awards and availability from EU-BOS is awesome.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
AC trying to fit any plane larger than an EMB into the gates (and associated facilities) at BOS is just square peg round hole. And making their customers suffer needlessly because they are f'ing cheap. The space is simply inadequate. Having said that, it took me 2 min at 4:00 on Wednesday to go through. I suspect it is highly dependent on how close to the time you are to departure for the bigger planes. And they still give you precheck benefits (shoes on, liquids in, jacket on) just no separate line.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Just realized that the BOS-YVR flight leaves 5 min before my BOS-YUL flight in 2 weeks. Both flights are also within 30 minutes from the BOS-YYZ flight as well. I imagine it is going to be insane at that time. Even the priority checkin will be overcrowded.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
I had a similar experience a few days ago. No question the Boston gates aren't set up for a full A319, when the YYZ and YUL flights around the same time are also full. They couldn't even deplane the A319 arrival from YVR because the gate area was so jammed. They asked people to move aside, but there wasn't really anywhere for them to move to. It's enough of a change to convince me to switch to Porter if flying around 5-6 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Haha, sounds a bit like Newark. There's times where you can breeze through, then there's the no-precheck before YVR 788 flight. Lovely. That said, BOS airport sucks imo. I'm sure there's plenty of differences, but in the couple times I've used it I've gotten a very LGA vibe.

I would like to ask while we're on the topic (sort of) how's BOS as a INTL arrival? Looking at awards and availability from EU-BOS is awesome.
My gripe with BOS is in the winter. A few snowflakes and they go into emotional meltdown and panic mode. The AC flights are often disrupted over something that airports in YEG, YUL etc. laugh at. You don't want to be in BOS when they have a cascade of international flight cancellations and delays: It makes YYZ seem organized and compassionate in comparison.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Altitude SE, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I've been flying the BOS-YVR route a bunch this summer.

Last time I checked in I commented that there was no lounge access, as the United Club is way too far away to be reasonable. Check-In agent said that Air Canada is planning to expand the presence in BOS. She said a lounge is in the works as well they are going to renovate the gates to be connected to the other gates in the B terminal. No idea timeline or if this is a go ahead but she seemed to be pretty confident in these new changes.

Agree that the holding pen they consider gates is getting a bit crazy with the new YVR flight - that being said, I really love the direct route back instead of going through YYZ
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sneakysix
I've been flying the BOS-YVR route a bunch this summer.

Last time I checked in I commented that there was no lounge access, as the United Club is way too far away to be reasonable. Check-In agent said that Air Canada is planning to expand the presence in BOS. She said a lounge is in the works as well they are going to renovate the gates to be connected to the other gates in the B terminal. No idea timeline or if this is a go ahead but she seemed to be pretty confident in these new changes.

Agree that the holding pen they consider gates is getting a bit crazy with the new YVR flight - that being said, I really love the direct route back instead of going through YYZ
There is a reno going on between gates b10 and b15, that used to be a glassed in walkway between former us airways and the newer part of the terminal. It's now closed off and construction - presumably new gates - is underway. As far as AC is concerned,though, I've been hearing for years that they are going to expand and have their own lounge. I'll likely be retired before it happens.

I use the United lounge a lot. With PreCheck down by b10, it's 10 minutes to get there, and 5 minutes back by cutting across the taxi stand area. But now with 25 minutes in security line, hardly worth it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Is the UA lounge accessible at all (never mind it's inconvenient)?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Hmm.......I stand corrected on making the experience better way of in the future. B1-3 are joining the rest of the B gates by end of next year.......a bit of a walk to the United lounge on the other side, but on those snow days when BOS goes haywire, it will be nice to have access without reclearance.

https://www.massport.com/capitalprog...tal%20Info.pdf

Last edited by furballs; Jul 22, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Is the UA lounge accessible at all (never mind it's inconvenient)?
Star Gold, yes. But you have to clear security to get to it (not a big deal with PreCheck as there is a separate line), then reclear to get to B1-3. With the 5 minute line, it was a no-brainer. Now,not so much.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by furballs
Star Gold, yes. But you have to clear security to get to it (not a big deal with PreCheck as there is a separate line), then reclear to get to B1-3. With the 5 minute line, it was a no-brainer. Now,not so much.
Thanks, I have a long QR->AC connection, good to know UClub is an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.