Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Passenger Says Luggage Has Been Missing For Weeks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/07...ks_a_23040109/

A traveler whose luggage has been missing for two weeks wants Air Canada to do better.

Emanuela Orsini, a 27-year-old producer, returned to Toronto from Ancona, Italy after a visit with family. When she landed in Toronto on July 5, her luggage didn't arrive with her, she told HuffPost Canada in an interview.

She filled out a delayed baggage claim in the airport and was told her luggage would be returned to her in the next 48 hours.

After two weeks, there haven't been any updates on her belongings Orsini said.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And that's supposed to be news these days?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
While AC is responsible for the luggage in this case, it's not at all clear that it's their fault, since they don't fly to Ancona.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:22 pm

What is with the expectations of customers these days. Like, actually expecting luggage? To arrive? At some point? Clearly over the top.

When will the madness end.

Cl
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
This traveller needs to know and the reporter should be talking about the EU Air Passenger Rights, with entitlement up to 1,131 SDR for items needed while the bag is missing (even if the bag is ultimately returned.)
As long as the flight originated in Europe, the traveller is entitled to this. Unfortunately for AC, the last carrier to handle the passenger is on the hook. The airlines can duke it out amongst themselves later.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyquiet
This traveller needs to know and the reporter should be talking about the EU Air Passenger Rights, with entitlement up to 1,131 SDR for items needed while the bag is missing (even if the bag is ultimately returned.)
As long as the flight originated in Europe, the traveller is entitled to this. Unfortunately for AC, the last carrier to handle the passenger is on the hook. The airlines can duke it out amongst themselves later.
What if AC was not the last carrier to touch the baggage, i.e. the baggage
was never transferred to AC? My understanding was that she flew AOI to FCO with Alitalia and that the bags may have been in Rome.
In defense of AC it's not as if either FCO or Alitalia has the best reputation for service, reliability or quality. Why doesn't Ms. Orsini hold Alitalia and the managers of the filthy disorganized FCO facility responsible as well?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Sorry, my personal policy is never to read articles sourced by huffintonpost.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
She can't blame Air Canada for these poor decisions:

"She says the clothes, jewelry and other valuables in her missing luggage are worth over $6,000."

"I'll always put my name tag and address on my luggage which I did not do this time and I'll definitely never put any valuables in my luggage ever again."
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 24left
She can't blame Air Canada for these poor decisions:

"She says the clothes, jewelry and other valuables in her missing luggage are worth over $6,000."

"I'll always put my name tag and address on my luggage which I did not do this time and I'll definitely never put any valuables in my luggage ever again."
Since I can't tell if you are being ironic or not. What was a poor decision? Assuming you are being serious, what if the clothing was worth $5,500 and the jewelry $500? Was she supposed to wear all the clothes? Would that not be a poor decision? What if she had $10,000 in clothing (and no room) in her carry on? Still a poor decision? $6,000 doesn't really seem like an unreasonable amount of clothing. Heck, that could be 3 pairs of shoes. I guess we are all supposed to dress like paupers when we travel?

If you aren't being serious, then just ignore all of the above.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
$6,000 doesn't really seem like an unreasonable amount of clothing. Heck, that could be 3 pairs of shoes. I guess we are all supposed to dress like paupers when we travel?

If you aren't being serious, then just ignore all of the above.
Being serious?

I don't own $6000 in clothes, total. And I don't travel with all my clothes.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Being serious?

I don't own $6000 in clothes, total. And I don't travel with all my clothes.
Well clearly because you don't, nobody else should.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Well clearly because you don't, nobody else should.
Did I say that? No.

But I think 24left's post is way more reasonable than yours.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
MY point:

She said she packed jewelry and other valuables - which she said she would never do again, and apparently, did not put her name and address on her luggage.

There are travel publications, blogs, FB and other media who repeatedly list travel tips and warnings.

So while everyone can have sympathy for her that AC or AC plus X lost her bag, she made these mistakes, and admitted them to HuffPo.

Last edited by 24left; Jul 20, 2017 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did I say that? No.

But I think 24left's post is way more reasonable than yours.
Well then I have no idea what you are trying to say other than your wardrobe isn't exactly high zoot.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
MY point:

She said she packed jewelry and other valuables - which she said she would never do again, and apparently, did not put her name and address on her luggage.

There are travel publications, blogs, FB and other media who repeatedly list travel tips and warnings.

So while everyone can have sympathy for her that AC or AC plus X lost her bag, she made these mistakes, and admitted them to HuffPo.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

AC still lost her bag. $5 or $50000 doesn't matter. It's gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.